Technique develop + polish + enhance

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Beside "test" by sparing/wrestling, the other 3 training stages, develop, polish, and enhance can be seen in the following clips. It's very easy to learn and develop any particular MA skill by following these 4 stages (sparring/wrestling clip is not included).

What's your opinion on this?

Develop by partner drill:

knife-hook.gif

Polish by solo drill:

knife-hook-solo.gif

Enhance by weight equipment:

single-head-knife-hook.gif

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would classify these as different methods, not necessarily different stages. You can do them in any order, but you should build proficiency before you spar.

I'd also take out "weight equipment" and just say "equipment", because then you can apply the same concept to drilling strikes with pads (i.e. a boxer throwing punches at a partner with mitt pads, a TKD guy kicking a kick shield or a BOB).

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like it :)

Good categories, and like skribs said any extra equipment used to enhance the technique timing, distance, accuracy and power would be in that category I reckon.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Beside "test" by sparing/wrestling, the other 3 training stages, develop, polish, and enhance can be seen in the following clips. It's very easy to learn and develop any particular MA skill by following these 4 stages (sparring/wrestling clip is not included).

What's your opinion on this?

Develop by partner drill:

knife-hook.gif

Polish by solo drill:

knife-hook-solo.gif

Enhance by weight equipment:

single-head-knife-hook.gif
compliant partner !

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
When first learning a technique (movement) go slow, working the motion, use a compliant partner to practice the motion to know the particular (steps) then with ever increasing resistance as you become more comfortable with the technique, finally spar it. Working the same motion over and over like dancing without a partner is great for smoothing out the moves and for warming up but does little in the way of actually becoming proficient in applying it.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
compliant partner !
In "test", your opponent will not compliant". In SC, the develop and test are considered different stages. It is possible that one may have gone through these 3 stages training, but he can't apply it even once in the ring or on the mat.

A EE PhD may not know how to fix a broken TV. A computer programmer may not know how to become a hacker. To work in a real job is different from learning from school.

If you want to learn how to fight, you have to fight.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In "test", your opponent will not compliant".
im talking about the vid you posted, clearly a compliant partner stepping in to the exact right position for the technique to work and not in anyway resisting the movement.

that technique will have great problems with a fully resistant partner, they wont come that close or will grab you and take you with them when they go over. watch two judo men going at it in competition and you see how hard it is to do that unless they let you or are completely inept

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
they wont come that close ...
If your opponent keeps distance away from you, none of your technique will work on him.

will grab you and take you with them ...
This is why the ground game is important. If you have a good control on your opponent's arm, when you take your opponent down, you will have advantage in your ground game.

Here is an example.

Wang-spring.gif

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
compliant partner !

The 5 stages of developing technique:
  1. Drill against active compliance
  2. Drill against passive compliance
  3. Drill against passive resistance
  4. Drill against active resistance
  5. Spar, variate, experiment
You cannot build technique by only ever sparring. You have to drill. And some of that drilling needs to be against compliant partners, especially when:
  • You are first learning the technique
  • You are drilling a correction to the technique
  • You are experimenting with the technique (before you ramp up the resistance again)
  • You are demonstrating the technique for the purpose of teaching or entertainment
It can also be nice as a warm-up.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The 5 stages of developing technique:
  1. Drill against active compliance
  2. Drill against passive compliance
  3. Drill against passive resistance
  4. Drill against active resistance
  5. Spar, variate, experiment
Agree that to drill against active resistance is good. The only concern is this may violate the basic MA principle "force against force vs. borrow force."

In MA, we try not to use force against force. (A - B < A). If you try to pull me and I resist, you may pull me harder and still throw me if you are stronger than me. But if you can borrow my resistance force, change your pull into push, you may only need a little force to throw me (A + B > A).

I prefer to call your full resistance training as "combo training" (use one throw to set up another throw) that's different from the "solo skill training".

If my throw require

- push, I'll pull you first.
- clockwise rotation, I'll rotate you counter-clock first.

Old saying said, "the best throw is a throw that how your opponent wants you to throw him (not how you want to throw your opponent)".

Ifyour opponent wants to

- sit down, you will press him down.
- raise up, you will lift him up.

You should not against his will.

In the following clip, he is not training throw A. He is training how to use throw A to set up throw B in the opposite direction.

In other words, he has just moved from training throw A into training throw B. When he applies throw B, his opponent still has no resistance.

spring-knee-seeze.gif

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agree that to drill against active resistance is good. The only concern is this may violate the basic MA principle "force against force vs. borrow force."

In MA, we try not to use force against force. (A - B < A). If you try to pull me and I resist, you may pull me harder and still throw me if you are stronger than me. But if you can borrow my resistance force, change your pull into push, you may only need a little force to throw me (A + B > A).

I prefer to call your full resistance training as "combo training" (use one throw to set up another throw) that's different from the "solo skill training".

If my throw require

- push, I'll pull you first.
- clockwise rotation, I'll rotate you counter-clock first.

Old saying said, "the best throw is a throw that how your opponent wants you to throw him (not how you want to throw your opponent)".

Ifyour opponent wants to

- sit down, you will press him down.
- raise up, you will lift him up.

You should not against his will.

In the following clip, he is not training throw A. He is training how to use throw A to set up throw B in the opposite direction.

In other words, he has just moved from training throw A into training throw B. When he applies throw B, his opponent still has no resistance.

spring-knee-seeze.gif

That's the point of resistance training. Your opponent resists your technique, so can you use proper technique to overcome their strength and/or can you change techniques to go with their resistance instead of against it.

If I'm trying to pull your arm inside to step up a V-Lock and you pull against it, I can:
  1. Use proper footwork to overcome your arm strength
  2. Modify the technique in order to bypass your arm strength
  3. Change to a technique that goes outside to go with your arm strength
If you never train against resistance, you never learn how to apply the technique against it, or how to read the resistance and instinctively change technique.

The video you show is drilling against resistance.

Latest Discussions