Combat Shuai Chiao

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Shuai Chiao (SC) is Chinese wrestling. Combat Shuai Chiao (CSC) is to integrate kick, punch, and follow up strike (or ground game) into Shuai Chiao. Here is one Combat Shuai Chiao partner drill. It uses

- kick to set up punch.
- punch to set up clinch.
- clinch to set up take own.
- take down to set up follow up strike (or ground game).

If you can come up 100 these kind of partner drills, your students will have a large amount of information to work on.

This is only for the skill "development". The sparring/wrestling will be added on for skill "testing".

What's your opinion on this kind of "partner drill" training method?

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever you posted didn't show up, so I'm only replying to the actual text you posted.

I'm not a fan of long chains, except conceptually. So, if you're talking about building each of those "to set up" pieces as a concept with multiple applications (here's how a jab sets up entry for a hip throw, and here's how a jab sets up entry for a single-leg, etc.), then I like the idea. I don't really focus enough, in my own opinion, on the link between striking and grappling. I sort of worked out that link naturally, and leave students to most of that, too. I don't ignore it entirely, but you could do a better job building that link - those entry points - than I do.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For my taste, if it's a pattern (same strikes, same responses), then yes. I prefer one feed, one response, one counter. You can have many variations of that, and can chain them together in application readily. The counter from one can be the feed for another, which leads you into a new series.

But I do know some styles use chains the length of that one, and I don't think it's inherently flawed - I just don't personally like it. If it's used properly, to build some useful transition reflexes, then it's all good.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I prefer one feed, one response, one counter.
When you kick, your opponent drop his arm to block your kick, you then punch toward his face, is that feed, respond, counter by your definition?

How do you integrate the striking art and throwing art and train both together and not separate?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you kick, your opponent drop his arm to block your kick, you then punch toward his face, is that feed, respond, counter by your definition?

How do you integrate the striking art and throwing art and train both together and not separate?
Yes, that’s the idea.

Before I answer the second question, remember I said I don’t do a lot to integrate the two - I let that integration mostly occur on its own. For me, it’s mostly a matter of transitions. I fight with striking until I find an opening for grappling. Then I grapple until I see either a need or a choice opening for a strike. So I don’t think in terms of a punch setting up a throw. I use the punch to change their situation, and take whatever new openings that creates. I don’t know that this is the most effective approach - it’s just what I do.

So, that said, the same feed-response-counter pattern could still be used: you jab, they raise the hand to cover/block, you shoot for the single-leg. It’s starting from where you left the example you gave, so the response in that one became the feed in this one.

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I liked the drill shown in the video. After the strike that is blocked, it almost appeared like a follow up strike was more viable, but the leg was there for hooking just the same, and it all flowed together naturally. I think its realistic enough and not contrived, which drills sometimes end up being. If a partner can give slight resistance, and the drill still works and doesn't fall apart - then its probably a good drill.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If a partner can give slight resistance,
Agree! The partner can

1. resist hard,
2. escape fast by stepping leading leg back.

An entering strategy (kick, punch, clinch combo) will end with many different finish strategies such as to borrow partner's

- resistance force and throw him forward.
- yielding force and throw him backward.

The entering strategies may not be as complicate as the finish strategies. At least 2 situation will need to be considered such as

- uniform stance (partner has right leg forward).
- mirror stance (partner has left leg forward).

If you wait for your opponent to attack, the entering strategies will be much more complicate. This is why my partner drills always attack first to make thing simple.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions