Tall lanky southpaw counter and disruptive technique advice

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
if you don't concentrate on what the other guy is trying to do and counter it or offer up offence first then you'll get mullered - i found that by wearing ear plugs it helped me to focus a lot - i couldn't hear anything so i couldn't get distracted at all :)

try the ear plugs :) plus ear plugs cost a few pounds - your hearing is priceless :)

OP
Muay Thai Hackney

Muay Thai Hackney

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
if you don't concentrate on what the other guy is trying to do and counter it or offer up offence first then you'll get mullered - i found that by wearing ear plugs it helped me to focus a lot - i couldn't hear anything so i couldn't get distracted at all :)

try the ear plugs :) plus ear plugs cost a few pounds - your hearing is priceless :)

Sorry for the long response, guys. I went away for my birthday for a bit, and the last sparring session didn't go as planned...

The distraction thing you mentioned happened...wasn't paying attention and then POW, guy got me with a good jab. I need ear plugs.

I think i've got smaller people than myself covered...don't wait for them, initiate and control distances. I STILL haven't tried out the techniques you guys have given me, but I plan to do so tomorrow as it's technical sparring tomorrow...i just hope my right calf is a bit more mobile by then.

Anyways, as a southpaw, you guys will know that my left kick is VERY essential to my entire game. I rely a LOT on it and it's more or less my best friend. However, i'm having issues with it lately...

I'm sparring guys who are closer in size and height to me now.. I admit, i'm probably not throwing it with as much force as I could, but I am ALWAYS getting it caught. Its really annoying as it takes out a fundamental part of my game. Not everybody catches it, but there was this explosive guy, exactly my height and a decent boxer (weak kicks of his own though) and he kept catching it every time time I threw it to the liver/ribs. He is orthodox and lately this kick has been caught by a majority of them..

It's really frustrating me. Should I just stick to low leg kicks against a kick catcher or is there a flaw in my technique?? Do I need to throw with speed and power more often for it not to get caught or what??? ):

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
me a killer ;) prolly could if i needed to but there's a time and a place for everything ;)

i started training muay thai cos the training was more like circuit training which i absolutely adore :) and it just continued - i did a pads class after the circuit class and just fell in love with the whole thing and now my own training is circuits and bags/pads, full contact (no protective gear) and for me cage fighting --- i prefer the cage to the ring even though it's more claustrophobic - it somehow feels safer cos no one else can get involved :)

i also found that by cross training boxing i got a lot more skills which when combined with my muay thai skills gave me a bit more to paly with :)

hoping that it all goes well for you :)

It is safer. You can't fall out unless someone seriously messes up.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d_Xhp1TTPKo

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry for the long response, guys. I went away for my birthday for a bit, and the last sparring session didn't go as planned...

The distraction thing you mentioned happened...wasn't paying attention and then POW, guy got me with a good jab. I need ear plugs.

I think i've got smaller people than myself covered...don't wait for them, initiate and control distances. I STILL haven't tried out the techniques you guys have given me, but I plan to do so tomorrow as it's technical sparring tomorrow...i just hope my right calf is a bit more mobile by then.

Anyways, as a southpaw, you guys will know that my left kick is VERY essential to my entire game. I rely a LOT on it and it's more or less my best friend. However, i'm having issues with it lately...

I'm sparring guys who are closer in size and height to me now.. I admit, i'm probably not throwing it with as much force as I could, but I am ALWAYS getting it caught. Its really annoying as it takes out a fundamental part of my game. Not everybody catches it, but there was this explosive guy, exactly my height and a decent boxer (weak kicks of his own though) and he kept catching it every time time I threw it to the liver/ribs. He is orthodox and lately this kick has been caught by a majority of them..

It's really frustrating me. Should I just stick to low leg kicks against a kick catcher or is there a flaw in my technique?? Do I need to throw with speed and power more often for it not to get caught or what??? ):

Don't lead with that kick.

kick as he throws the right hand is the best outcome.

OP
Muay Thai Hackney

Muay Thai Hackney

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
But what about when my kicks get caught?? I think I need to just start kicking more powerfully. I'm known as having a nasty left kick on the pad and bags, but I get my kicks caught sparring? What's wrong with my technique? This guy and a few others were far too good at catching my left kick. Faar too good. I don't like having to low kick because that's not where my strength lies...maybe I should try it Yodsanklai style and aim for the bicep area instead of the ribs???

OP
Muay Thai Hackney

Muay Thai Hackney

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Don't lead with that kick.

kick as he throws the right hand is the best outcome.

Ok so basically time it? He does have a nasty right, and i felt that. It's funny, I have used the left kick to counter the right hand trick before, and it's always worked..I guess I just have to rely on my reflexes..that's good advice drop bear....thank you....it makes a lot of sense too since he'll be too busy retracting his right hand in order to catch the kick...only thing is, i'm backwards fighter so have people including beginners close the distance on me and get me against the ropes, which makes it slightly more difficult to kick..guess that's where circling around comes into play.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok so basically time it? He does have a nasty right, and i felt that. It's funny, I have used the left kick to counter the right hand trick before, and it's always worked..I guess I just have to rely on my reflexes..that's good advice drop bear....thank you....it makes a lot of sense too since he'll be too busy retracting his right hand in order to catch the kick...only thing is, i'm backwards fighter so have people including beginners close the distance on me and get me against the ropes, which makes it slightly more difficult to kick..guess that's where circling around comes into play.

You should be going backwards.(well circling) to throw that counter off the right anyway. You have to be off centre for that to work.

OP
Muay Thai Hackney

Muay Thai Hackney

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You should be going backwards.(well circling) to throw that counter off the right anyway. You have to be off centre for that to work.

By off centre you mean with my right leg outside his left leg then throwing the left power kick???

Also, do you think the fact that i'm (probably) throwing with only 50% power is a factor? Should I be meaner with my left kick?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
By off centre you mean with my right leg outside his left leg then throwing the left power kick???

Also, do you think the fact that i'm (probably) throwing with only 50% power is a factor? Should I be meaner with my left kick?

You would probably go inside for that one. To your right.it is a big movement you should be outside their left hand by then. Throw a right cross. Then switch.

I wouldn't throw any harder. You can catch a full power kick. And I would punch your face off for throwing it.

OP
Muay Thai Hackney

Muay Thai Hackney

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You would probably go inside for that one. To your right.it is a big movement you should be outside their left hand by then. Throw a right cross. Then switch.

I wouldn't throw any harder. You can catch a full power kick. And I would punch your face off for throwing it.

Throw a right cross??????? You do mean a left cross, don't you??

Ok, yeah, I tend to step big when loading the left kick, so what you say makes sense, staying on the inside should be fine. I just need to time it more and be less predictable. I think i''m going to try the inside left kick too from time to time and the left teep to keep them guessing.

It's funny, the advice you guys have given me helps in regards to smaller orthodox guys...but when faced against somebody as tall, as heavy and as explosive as me, it was difficult. Heh. I guess that's where skill takes over than natural advantages. I actually miss the aggressive little guys ):

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Throw a right cross??????? You do mean a left cross, don't you??

Ok, yeah, I tend to step big when loading the left kick, so what you say makes sense, staying on the inside should be fine. I just need to time it more and be less predictable. I think i''m going to try the inside left kick too from time to time and the left teep to keep them guessing.

It's funny, the advice you guys have given me helps in regards to smaller orthodox guys...but when faced against somebody as tall, as heavy and as explosive as me, it was difficult. Heh. I guess that's where skill takes over than natural advantages. I actually miss the aggressive little guys ):

No a right cross. OK. Your right leg is forwards he throws either the cross or even the jab cross. You step to your right and lean to your right. Throw the kick with your left. When you put your foot down you should find that your left leg is now in front and you are off to the right of the guy. So the right cross is there. Not the left.

Right?

OP
Muay Thai Hackney

Muay Thai Hackney

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No a right cross. OK. Your right leg is forwards he throws either the cross or even the jab cross. You step to your right and lean to your right. Throw the kick with your left. When you put your foot down you should find that your left leg is now in front and you are off to the right of the guy. So the right cross is there. Not the left.

Right?

Ahhh, I see. That makes much more sense now. So the idea is to change stances after the left kick. I get it. I'll try that tomorrow. Hopefully my calf feels better by tomorrow morning...it got kicked out a lot yesterday ):

Thank you bear bear

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
have you tried using a left knee instead of the left roundhouse ?????

you say that your kick keeps getting caught prolly cos of the big step into it --- shorten your step into the kick then throw it twisting your hips more aggressively :)

the big step into the kick is their cue to drop their hands to catch it --- don't make it so obvious and it won't get caught :)

you step to your right which should give you a better platform but aim lower on your left kick - you can get as much if not more power into it by twisting your whole body into the kick :) low leg kicks to the knees and backs of the knees work very well :) (watch any muay thai fight) and by destroying their ability to stand up properly you find find that they're open up top as well so use your knees and elbows and punches to exploit the fact that their legs are hurting :)

you might even get more power into a low leg kick cos you're not really lifting your leg to high and it's easier to throw :)

OP
Muay Thai Hackney

Muay Thai Hackney

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
have you tried using a left knee instead of the left roundhouse ?????

you say that your kick keeps getting caught prolly cos of the big step into it --- shorten your step into the kick then throw it twisting your hips more aggressively :)

the big step into the kick is their cue to drop their hands to catch it --- don't make it so obvious and it won't get caught :)

you step to your right which should give you a better platform but aim lower on your left kick - you can get as much if not more power into it by twisting your whole body into the kick :) low leg kicks to the knees and backs of the knees work very well :) (watch any muay thai fight) and by destroying their ability to stand up properly you find find that they're open up top as well so use your knees and elbows and punches to exploit the fact that their legs are hurting :)

you might even get more power into a low leg kick cos you're not really lifting your leg to high and it's easier to throw :)

Ello Donna, mate. :)

Not really tried using knees. I'm a backwards fighter and I guess I can see them working on an orthodox opponent walking in. I think I have to shadow box drill these in order for them to come naturally to me.

I actually read your post before I left for technical sparring today, and I really took it on board. I basically pivoted out of my stance to throw the left kick, which forced me to turn my hip over more. It's a little awkward but it definitely seemed harder for people to anticipate, so thanks a lot for that, mate.

Also took on bear bear's advice about counter cross and hooks with the left kick, which worked. But I switched it up a bit and threw a lot of lead leg kicks and inside left kicks to the inner thigh, I was pretty good today and a bit more aggressive. I thank you all for all the excellent advice. Next sparring session is friday :)

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
glad that it worked for you :) takes a while to get used to doing but by putting all your momentum through the whole of the kick it lands harder and more sweetly :) you'll also find that your feet automatically extend creating the straight line between body, hip, knee and foot that makes the shot all the sweeter when it lands :):):)

have you not tried being more offensive when you're sparring ?????

it'll put your opponent on their backfoot allowing you more time to do what you've got in mind :) offence, defence, counter ;)

by getting in first you can use all your weapons :) if you just back off then you're naturally inviting them to have a go, to have first shot at you --- that for me is pointless --- you get in there get stuck in and then defend if you have to otherwise you just don't stop unless you really have to :)

something else to try - feint a jab, left uppercut into the body, knee to the face if you get the uppercut nailed ;) you've gotta be going forward to be able to capitalise on knees and elbows --- at fight school they teach you to go forward cos there's no merit in going backwards cos you're inviting your oppo to knock shades out of you :(

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
roll on friday :):):)

any more questions, queries etc..... just throw them at us :) don't think that there's much that me and drop bear haven't faced ;)

let us know how friday goes :)

OP
Muay Thai Hackney

Muay Thai Hackney

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
glad that it worked for you :) takes a while to get used to doing but by putting all your momentum through the whole of the kick it lands harder and more sweetly :) you'll also find that your feet automatically extend creating the straight line between body, hip, knee and foot that makes the shot all the sweeter when it lands :):):)

have you not tried being more offensive when you're sparring ?????

it'll put your opponent on their backfoot allowing you more time to do what you've got in mind :) offence, defence, counter ;)

by getting in first you can use all your weapons :) if you just back off then you're naturally inviting them to have a go, to have first shot at you --- that for me is pointless --- you get in there get stuck in and then defend if you have to otherwise you just don't stop unless you really have to :)

something else to try - feint a jab, left uppercut into the body, knee to the face if you get the uppercut nailed ;) you've gotta be going forward to be able to capitalise on knees and elbows --- at fight school they teach you to go forward cos there's no merit in going backwards cos you're inviting your oppo to knock shades out of you :(

Hmm, whats your height and weight, donna mate? I'm not sure if I entirely agree with the concept of not going backwards. I admit, i'm not your most aggressive sparring partner, but my defence is pretty aggressive. If I go back and somebody goes forward, I often make them pay for it. I think as I get more experienced, I can use it to lure them into traps and the like by using more footwork.

When I go backwards with my arm stretched out, I find that I don't get hit much. I avoid shots easier and my defence is just good.

You're right in that it may lead people into thinking they can do what they want to me, but I am going through great pains to make sure I can counter or disrupt them. I think I was successful on sunday because I picked certain moments to be aggressive. I understand that Muay Thai ain't like boxing, and that evasive techniques are often frowned upon, but using my lean back then strike method hasn't necessarily hurt me too much in the recent months. My face has no deformities due to moving back/leaning back to avoid shots, and i'm able to counter. The main issue with the going backwards style is that when we sometimes use the ring, I get cornered which leaves me feeling vulnerable. But then I guess that's when footwork comes into it.

I'll tell you what, though..i'm going to take your advice come friday...i'm going to go forwards in the vain of other southpaw fighters like Yodsaenklai Fairtex, Aikpracha and Samkor. I'm going to test out that style and see if it works for me. I won't go back, just forward forward and i'll see if I can be effective. I hope I can.

I'm also not sure about your theory regarding the knees and elbows. As I understand it, they can be devastating counters against an aggressive opponent. I guess I feel comfortable using the 'matador' style, but i'll try your method, mate.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i'm 5 foot 8 inches and weigh just over 60kg :) it's all girly muscle too :)

here's some more for you all offense :) front kick to the abs, side step to right, left knee to abs plus step in and launch a right elbow to the jaw :)

they throw a front kick - you catch it, throw it to one side and then launch a high roundhouse to the side that you threw their leg to :)

by being offensive in nature you gotta be able to sway, "dance", your footwork and body movement have to be lightning quick (it takes time to get this sorted) and you'll find that the natural counter to a jab is knee to the abs the knees and elbows and you'll be successful :)

you got long enough legs to just step in throw an elbow (cross or uppercut - your choice) and then rock back on your back leg to escape any counter they may throw at you :)

here's a lead out for you -- 2 jabs, left cross, step left, right knee, high right roundhouse :)

2 jabs, left cross, low roundhouse, right uppercut, left high roundhouse :)

i hate fighting other girlies too cos they just don't really put any effort into either sparring or fighting so i fight and train against the boys and they don't hold back either ;) most of them weigh well more than me too and have a longer reach and plenty of power in their shots and they know how to take a good shot too ;)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A trick to pick off a lanky guy is to go backwards the idea is that it is harder and takes longer to go forwards then backwards than it is to go backwards and then backwards faster.

So you go backwards he comes forwards you go forwards and you close that gap a bit easier.

OP
Muay Thai Hackney

Muay Thai Hackney

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i'm 5 foot 8 inches and weigh just over 60kg :) it's all girly muscle too :)

here's some more for you all offense :) front kick to the abs, side step to right, left knee to abs plus step in and launch a right elbow to the jaw :)

they throw a front kick - you catch it, throw it to one side and then launch a high roundhouse to the side that you threw their leg to :)

by being offensive in nature you gotta be able to sway, "dance", your footwork and body movement have to be lightning quick (it takes time to get this sorted) and you'll find that the natural counter to a jab is knee to the abs the knees and elbows and you'll be successful :)

you got long enough legs to just step in throw an elbow (cross or uppercut - your choice) and then rock back on your back leg to escape any counter they may throw at you :)

here's a lead out for you -- 2 jabs, left cross, step left, right knee, high right roundhouse :)

2 jabs, left cross, low roundhouse, right uppercut, left high roundhouse :)

i hate fighting other girlies too cos they just don't really put any effort into either sparring or fighting so i fight and train against the boys and they don't hold back either ;) most of them weigh well more than me too and have a longer reach and plenty of power in their shots and they know how to take a good shot too ;)

Whoa, hold up - You're a GIRL, DonnaTDK?????? :/ :/ :/

Thought you were a guy!!!! Can't believe that, I guess it was right there in front of me what with your screename being 'donna' and all :)

I have to confess that the few times I have been up against women, I go super soft on them. I don't even hit the face, just light tap kicks to their legs. Women are too delicate and it just feels too weird to even jab against them ):

There was this woman particular girl who's quite short and wanted to get used to fighter taller people, so i went a round with her and allowed her to get comfortable with my size by allowing her to get in close and knee me. I''ll try and give her better advice next time as I know what works for little people.

Those are interesting combos you've given, it's fun to experiment. What i usually do when you guys give me advice or a combo is shadow box it for about 5 mins each day so that it gets easier and easier to use it in sparring. I'll give it a go and see what works for me.

Right now i'm working on counter fighting as it's important against guys my size or over. At 6,2 and 185lbs, I seem to a number of options and the leading with an attack and rocking back on my back leg like you suggested works well, so i'm going to do that quite a bit friday, except i'm going to come forward only. I want to get somebody backing up for once!

Latest Discussions