Muay Thai Hackney

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A fight school as an example.
Fighters

A mate of mine nick trask trains there.

My school is WMA. In airlie beach.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-YUM-2dniJk

I see. Never really heard about these fight schools. Looks interesting but seem like they are geared towards people with amateur and pro records. Obviously I have none of that, i'm just a bloke who trains for fun and may compete in a few inter club matches or so.

I think my problem is - and one of my coaches addressed it to me too... is that I am too considerate of others when I spar or drill. I think about not hurting them than perfecting my technique. I sort of avoided that line of thinking last sunday and did really well. I think i'm also worried about hurting my shin or feet on an elbow or knee or something too, so i've been overly cautious with my kicks all because i hurt them a few times..well I wasn't hurting them when I first started so i'm going back to that mind set.

At the end of the day, I think I have to think more about what I want to get out of it rather than the other person's well being because, lets face it, people would rather hurt somebody than get hurt themselves. I was great last sunday because I just didn't give a ****, so now i'm going back to that mind set and i'm staying with it. It's either go hard or go home whether it's a beginner to the intermediate group or not. The only exceptions will be women.

Thank you all for you help in this thread, but I feel like I have exhausted your advice. I know what I have to do now. Cheers.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
wasn't having a go at you MTH was just trying to see what type of environment you're working in s'all :)

so from what you said in your last piece - you're just short of confidence, the confidence to go out there and do damage to someone else --- you're not scared of being hit or throwing a punch etc.... you're scared that you might hurt the other person and i can understand that. if you've got everything pretty much nailed down then i still can't understand your coaches view to it all as being a toe to toe boring scrap until someone drops :(

i train at fight school too under the instruction of Dave Jackson who is one of the best coaches both here and in the US he coaches mainly MMA.

OP
Muay Thai Hackney

Muay Thai Hackney

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
wasn't having a go at you MTH was just trying to see what type of environment you're working in s'all :)

so from what you said in your last piece - you're just short of confidence, the confidence to go out there and do damage to someone else --- you're not scared of being hit or throwing a punch etc.... you're scared that you might hurt the other person and i can understand that. if you've got everything pretty much nailed down then i still can't understand your coaches view to it all as being a toe to toe boring scrap until someone drops :(

i train at fight school too under the instruction of Dave Jackson who is one of the best coaches both here and in the US he coaches mainly MMA.

It's ok. Sorry I reacted a bit, thought you were taking the piss out of my skills or something. I apologise.

Yeah, it's a combination of my own power and coming across as a dick. I'm not a nasty person. At all. It took me awhile to get comfortable punching people in the face ffs. But now i just don't care, my well being is important and if i am to improve, i've got to look at each sparring partner as a potential fight. I can take a good punch, but I don't necessarily want to, so i'll use my range to pick apart people, and if i meet somebody close to my size or bigger, i'll work their legs and body HARD with counter fighting.

Dave Jackson, isn't he from Wolfslaire? They have a good reputation. You and drop bear do MMA then? That's nice, though i must confess that i'm not a fan of MMA at all. I liked watching Machida as he brought an sense of art to it with his beautiful evasion techniques, but other than that, MMA just feels like the thing all the cool kids do these days.

Every idiot who I have met in person who does some form of combat sports has been big on MMA or think that they are going to be the next GSP or whatever. They don't carry themselves like guys who do Muay Thai or even boxing do. Most are just a bunch of tough guys with tap out t-shirts and they annoy me! Sorry for the rant, couldn't help it. Yourself and drop bear came from Muay Thai so I can see why you'd want to try out MMA.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dave Jackson runs MMA at Cheshire Martial Arts in Warrington Cheshire :) he also helps out with the Muay Thai sessions and some self defence classes at fight school

my coach scott dixon is fighting at blackpool winter gardens in september - european lightweight muay thai title is up for grabs -- not too sure of the date yet - only just found out where it's being held :)

Drop Bear trains MMA and I train Muay Thai :) think that cos we both contribute in both muay thai and mma forums it may be a little bit confusing :( sorry.

i've got no interest in training MMA -- I do however fight in a cage most of the time :) a long time ago a few of us bought a cage instead of a ring cos it was "cool" and now we use it for all sorts of fights :) just means that those that go into the cage really want to fight.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
train hard and then train some more :)

like you said GO HARD or GO HOME --- there's no point training like the devil if you're going to go easy in the ring is there ?

then you said go easy on the girls -- why ????? they're there to learn as well if you're not going to play a full part in it then go home -- we've got as many skills as you have so none of this backing off just cos it's a girl -- yeah ?????

OP
Muay Thai Hackney

Muay Thai Hackney

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Dave Jackson runs MMA at Cheshire Martial Arts in Warrington Cheshire :) he also helps out with the Muay Thai sessions and some self defence classes at fight school

my coach scott dixon is fighting at blackpool winter gardens in september - european lightweight muay thai title is up for grabs -- not too sure of the date yet - only just found out where it's being held :)

Drop Bear trains MMA and I train Muay Thai :) think that cos we both contribute in both muay thai and mma forums it may be a little bit confusing :( sorry.

i've got no interest in training MMA -- I do however fight in a cage most of the time :) a long time ago a few of us bought a cage instead of a ring cos it was "cool" and now we use it for all sorts of fights :) just means that those that go into the cage really want to fight.

Seen youtube vids of this Dave Jackson guy, he seems like a decent bloke. What's his background though? Pure MMA?

I guess a cage could be handy in the sense that it gives you a lot more room to move about it and doesn't feel as claustrophobic as the ring.

OP
Muay Thai Hackney

Muay Thai Hackney

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
train hard and then train some more :)

like you said GO HARD or GO HOME --- there's no point training like the devil if you're going to go easy in the ring is there ?

then you said go easy on the girls -- why ????? they're there to learn as well if you're not going to play a full part in it then go home -- we've got as many skills as you have so none of this backing off just cos it's a girl -- yeah ?????

I don't want to be controversial but this is where I have traditional views. Maybe it's my caribbean heritage, maybe it's that i was brought up by my mum and sister, I don't know. I have the utmost respect for you women, I honestly do - but I am tired of seeing some of the girls at the gym get hurt at the smallest thing.

One guy, a small guy, lightly tripped up a sweet but slight looking girl after she threw a teep...she tripped and banged her head hard on the mat. She was crying and everything and it was very uncomfortable and I hated that she had to go through that. This guy wasn't being a dick, he just did what the coach asked him to do, but, in the end, she couldn't take it and I have seen her back since ): She couldn't take it because her body isn't built for such things, and, unfortunately, that's true of most women.

Now, that's not to say that there aren't strong women out there who can dish and take some proper punishment..one of our star fighters is a female and she's EXCELLENT, especially with elbows, but theres a reason why women only fight women, just like theres a reason for weight categories. Again, i'm not sexist...some of my favourite protagonists are female like Ellen Ripley and Pam Grier and all that, but I am not, and I mean NOT going to go hard on women in the gym. I'm just not. I have a code, and i'm sticking with it. This will not compromise me or them in anyway shape of form. Why? Because I can still help them without fighting them like a guy.

For example, over a week ago, I was paired with this girl who was not comfortable going up against people taller than her. Very attractive girl and very respectful, but not very confident in her abilities. I suggested that she drill techniques on me which required her to get on the inside then back out before I can damage her with my strikes. I think it was jab, switch knee to the stomach and then hook and back out. After that she said she was very thankful and it helped her a lot and gave her more confidence, and it showed. Her skin was glowing and everything. If I had went in there and started left kicking her and the like, it would have been a disaster, surely??????

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't want to be controversial but this is where I have traditional views. Maybe it's my caribbean heritage, maybe it's that i was brought up by my mum and sister, I don't know. I have the utmost respect for you women, I honestly do - but I am tired of seeing some of the girls at the gym get hurt at the smallest thing.

One guy, a small guy, lightly tripped up a sweet but slight looking girl after she threw a teep...she tripped and banged her head hard on the mat. She was crying and everything and it was very uncomfortable and I hated that she had to go through that. This guy wasn't being a dick, he just did what the coach asked him to do, but, in the end, she couldn't take it and I have seen her back since ): She couldn't take it because her body isn't built for such things, and, unfortunately, that's true of most women.

Now, that's not to say that there aren't strong women out there who can dish and take some proper punishment..one of our star fighters is a female and she's EXCELLENT, especially with elbows, but theres a reason why women only fight women, just like theres a reason for weight categories. Again, i'm not sexist...some of my favourite protagonists are female like Ellen Ripley and Pam Grier and all that, but I am not, and I mean NOT going to go hard on women in the gym. I'm just not. I have a code, and i'm sticking with it. This will not compromise me or them in anyway shape of form. Why? Because I can still help them without fighting them like a guy.

For example, over a week ago, I was paired with this girl who was not comfortable going up against people taller than her. Very attractive girl and very respectful, but not very confident in her abilities. I suggested that she drill techniques on me which required her to get on the inside then back out before I can damage her with my strikes. I think it was jab, switch knee to the stomach and then hook and back out. After that she said she was very thankful and it helped her a lot and gave her more confidence, and it showed. Her skin was glowing and everything. If I had went in there and started left kicking her and the like, it would have been a disaster, surely??????

Yeah that is fine. You are sepparating hobbiests with fighters.

One is appreciated one often isn't. The reason being that if you go easy at the times you are supposed to go hard you are setting up that fighter to be bashed and embarrassed in front of their friends which is not cool.

And by often. Even if they are fighters it is not licence to go trying to tear their heads off all the time.

Got a mate of mine who has a fight coming up. So sparring at the moment is extra nasty.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
know what you mean about things getting exttra bad :)

some of the guys in our gym have an interclubg comp coming up in the next few weeks and i've had to go and get full body armour --- they just start seeing red and i hate hospitals ;)

suppose now that drop bear puts it like that i can understand what you're saying and the way you put things MTH in that you're helping them with their technique :) i like that :)

OP
Muay Thai Hackney

Muay Thai Hackney

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah that is fine. You are sepparating hobbiests with fighters.

One is appreciated one often isn't. The reason being that if you go easy at the times you are supposed to go hard you are setting up that fighter to be bashed and embarrassed in front of their friends which is not cool.

And by often. Even if they are fighters it is not licence to go trying to tear their heads off all the time.

Got a mate of mine who has a fight coming up. So sparring at the moment is extra nasty.

Yeah, see, I don't think I would make a good sparring partner for our amateur or professional thai fighters then. I'd just refuse if I was asked. You are right though, you have to separate the two.

What exercises have benefitted your MMA/MT game, bear bear? I swear by pull ups for muay thai personally.

know what you mean about things getting exttra bad :)

some of the guys in our gym have an interclubg comp coming up in the next few weeks and i've had to go and get full body armour --- they just start seeing red and i hate hospitals ;)

suppose now that drop bear puts it like that i can understand what you're saying and the way you put things MTH in that you're helping them with their technique :) i like that :)

Yeah, especially if they are new, you know? A lot of women, I find, take up Muay Thai to raise their confidence, so when they see a 6,2 85kg behemoth like me standing in front of them and they are able to get in a knee or something then that can only be a positive.

Had a better technical sparring session yesterday. Second sunday in a row, lol. Maybe I should just spar sundays. Though, I don't want the gits on friday to think that i'm afraid of them, so I won't.

I was a bit less aggressive than i was last sunday, using minimal footwork and just going at a leisurely pace with most of the guys. There was a bulky bloke i was up against for the first time, about 6ft, but quite thick. I went hard on him..not super hard, but I was not taking any chances. It was a 'technical sparring' session so we weren't out to knock each other out, but I did want to just 'get stuck in' like donna said. To be honest, I thought I gave him a good **** whooping, but he suggested at the end of the session that he likes to have people throw the first few strikes just to see what their skill level is and work from there. I call bollocks on that.

Why? Because one, I saw his skill level...he obviously had some experience but he didn't have my speed, athleticism and cardio. He caught me with a couple of hard rights which I felt, he was a hard hitter, but I felt like I did a number on him. You mean to tell me this guy ALLOWED me to lead leg kick him to the point where he was almost hopping and damage his stomach with a nice straight left to the body??? Puh-lease.

Now, I don't doubt that he was pulling his punches a little bit..he has knockout power for sure..but he was not letting me out skill and out strike him. I evaded most of his shots with my now trademark lean back and I kicked his right arm Yodsanklai style. It was the worst beating I had given anybody so far. Yet this guy starts hyping this other tall guy he sparred the same session and suggests he went easy on me because he saw my skill level??? Nice try mate, he said it to discourage me so I went away feeling worse than he did.

From what I observed, I beat him way worse than the other tall bloke did. His praise for the tall guy seemed to be based on the fact that the tall guy did't let him get near him. Me? I didn't mind him coming near me because I made him pay EVERY bloody time. Dodgy.

Anyways, hope you are all enjoying your bank holidays.

OP
Muay Thai Hackney

Muay Thai Hackney

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
By the way, the same geezer told me this nasty little technique he does when somebody throws a left kick...he bows his elbows out and lifts it hight so the tip of the elbow meets the shin...nasty piece of work. Luckily for me, I kept aiming for his forearm/bicep area so that it weakened his hard right hand. His defence is the shot to the liver is too much for him to deal with and that he'll happily take a beating elsewhere accept that area. I say that's dodgy. Learn to check kicks or capture and evade. Don't risk Anderson silvering people..:rolleyes:

Is his technique fair?????

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
no it means that he needs extra practice and to hit the gym and get a decent set of abs ;)

he was trying to put you down in front of his mates and stuff when he knows that you had him trashed --- just roll with it cos the rest of guys in the gym will have seen what you did and you'll get more respect from them :)

OP
Muay Thai Hackney

Muay Thai Hackney

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
no it means that he needs extra practice and to hit the gym and get a decent set of abs ;)

he was trying to put you down in front of his mates and stuff when he knows that you had him trashed --- just roll with it cos the rest of guys in the gym will have seen what you did and you'll get more respect from them :)

Thanks. Yeah, I suspected he did it to psych me out and make me doubt myself. It worked somewhat as I questioned what had happened, but I almost made the guy quit, so yeah, he's just talking nonsense.

Funny thing you mention the abs thing because every person who's reacted badly to my left straight in the middle has a soft mid section. The ones who powered through it had decent abs. I always thought that was a myth but it appears to be true. It guess it s also explains why i've been hit in the stomach area and have barely flinched too :)

I've started naming my weapons:

Right hand jab is the machine gun

Left straight is my shotgun

Left kick is my baseball bag.

Right lead leg kick is my baton.

Left elbow is my blunt switch blade

I'm secure in my victory :)

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
like it :)

just don't go telling everyone about them though or they'll wise u pto what's coming next ;)

the abs thing --- muscle will always absorb the hit whereas flesh and fat can't so what you're doing is hitting internal organs with every shot which is why it hurts so much :)

maybe you can understand now why i use the uppercut to the body so much ;)

don't worry about him cos his friends will have seen the bruises from every shot that he took :) respect to ya - and don't go questioning yourself like this again --- too many negative vibes for my liking tbh ;)

OP
Muay Thai Hackney

Muay Thai Hackney

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So it seems I have my first inter club fight on the 5th Oct. Any advice? I was told I should do the 'hard sparring with the top fighters to prepare, but that sounds like a good way to get injured before a fight to me. Currently Training 4 days a week and shadow boxing everyday.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So it seems I have my first inter club fight on the 5th Oct. Any advice? I was told I should do the 'hard sparring with the top fighters to prepare, but that sounds like a good way to get injured before a fight to me. Currently Training 4 days a week and shadow boxing everyday.

Generally you stop a week before to prevent injuries.

Otherwise git fitter than you are. Hill sprints are fun.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
as per what drop bear says :)

plus don't let the occasion go to your head - stick to your game plan :) your coaches think that you're ready for it and have got the skills to go do the business so just treat it as a sparring session with the only difference being that your trying to KO the other person :)

try the hard sparring cos it'll let you know what to expect and it'll give you a work out too :) like drop bear says spend time getting fitter and building more stamina :)

how many rounds are you scheduled for ????? and how long is each round ?????

above all just try and enjoy the event :)

OP
Muay Thai Hackney

Muay Thai Hackney

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm scheduled for 4 1/2 min rounds. Sounds alright to me. Apparently the hard sparring session is 15 1/2 min rounds so if I go twice, and stop a week before like you both suggest, I should be fine. My cardio is definitely improved and will go to lengths to have it at it's optimum come that day.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
that's the first time i've heard of 1/2minute rounds :) shouldbe easy then cos you can just go for it cos there won't be much time for anything coming the other way ;) just get stuck in don't worry about anything just "lose control" :)

the hard sessions are a really good idea :) so go for it - it'll toughen you up and then you spend the rest of the day running up and down a hill ;)

when i fight it's either 3 or 5 rounds and each round is 3 minutes so you got off lightly ;)

OP
Muay Thai Hackney

Muay Thai Hackney

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
that's the first time i've heard of 1/2minute rounds :) shouldbe easy then cos you can just go for it cos there won't be much time for anything coming the other way ;) just get stuck in don't worry about anything just "lose control" :)

the hard sessions are a really good idea :) so go for it - it'll toughen you up and then you spend the rest of the day running up and down a hill ;)

when i fight it's either 3 or 5 rounds and each round is 3 minutes so you got off lightly ;)

Cheers Donna. Though I don't know about the hill running after what's likely to be a session of me getting the **** kicked out of me :/

Yeah, 1 and a half min rounds should be fine. If I keep up my cardio, I shouldn't get tired.

Teeps are becoming a more important and effective weapon in my arsenal. Didn't even use my left roundhouse kick during light sparring the other day.