OP
KenpoTex

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
This link is to a presentation by Professor James Duane of Regent Law School on the topic of talking to the police if you are ever suspected of a crime. His position, which he backs up with case law, is that talking to the police (as opposed to letting your attorney do it) CAN DO NOTHING TO HELP YOU!

This is a topic that is of great importance for all of us since, if we are ever forced to use our training, we can almost guarentee that we will be dealing with LE personel.

Unfortunately the legal aspects of self-defense, particularly how to handle the aftermath, are topics that are seldom understood by many of us because most of us, IMO, don't take the time to research the information. I have had instructors (and have seen posts by people on this forum) who try to address this topic and end up giving information that is absolutely wrong. They are trying to be helpful, but they are not legal professionals. In fact, I've had and worked with instructors who have never even read the use of force statues for the state, but still want to discuss the legal side of SD.

Do yourself a favor and watch this video. It was taken (it appears) in one of his law classes. It is about an hour long but don't let that prevent you from watching it. It is definately information that may be (probably will be) vital if you are ever involved in a serious defensive situation. Just as a side-note, pretty much everything he says is identical to the statements made on another forum by two defense-attorneys (one of whom served as a judge for 8 years).

Do me a favor and don't argue or opine until you have had a chance to watch it.

http://www.regent.edu/admin/media/schlaw/LawPreview/

Thanks for posting this.

The very first principle taught to our students is "environmental awareness."

One layer of that principle is being familiar with self defense laws in one's state (as the law varies from state to state ins the US)

It's also important to know that even though you may be cleared of criminal charges, there is still the aspect of being sued in civil court. I personally reccomend carrying a personal umbrella policy to anyone with any assets (homeowner, etc) in order to protect them.

It is not considered double jeopardy to have a case heard in civil court though you may have been cleared of charges in a criminal court. Even though you may be cleared of criminal charges, you can still risk being convicted and sued in civil court. (OJ Simpson is a prime example.)

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
LFI-1 Massad Ayoob.

d. point out any bruise, cuts, tears, etc.. done to you or others.

Deaf

I would definitely not be pointing out any injuries I inflicted on an attacker(I'm not sure if this is what you meant by this statement). That would definitely put you in some deep ****.

Also I like what the Professor has to say. At the end of the day anything you say when the cops arrive can easily be said by your lawyers later. As for no convictions being made if people didn't talk to the cops assumes that the cops don't get any information you supply via your lawyer. I would think twice before talking to the police after watching his videos

Cheers
Sam:asian: