Tactical Flashlight

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Man you could knock the heck out of someone with a Motorola MTS2000. It was like a brick in your hand. :D

m4SlcThEN5qF-lBpexXG2eg.jpg

And no pepper spray....I hate that crap.

We had some guys go through a phase of doing that. I thought they had killed a guy with one once.

Psilent Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Close up the strobe starts bouncing back.

Yeah, close up and in certain surroundings. I do believe the rewards of using the strobe outweigh the risks but I don't see any risks with using high output mode, thus my personal preference.

It is good for waving down someone. I used it to signal cops and ambos.

Yeah, this does make the strobe function very useful in certain situations. Nothing wrong with that.

You can get rechargeable 123s

Yeah, that's true. I guess I should take this into consideration the next time I'm in the market for a new tactical light.

I just won't carry pepper spray. Haven't in a long time.

I've never carried pepper spray because I was worried about being perceived as un-macho. So I carried mace and a whistle instead. And I carried them in my really macho man bag that I used to wear on my shoulder.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was never a big fan of the expandable batons but those old PR-24s....man those were great.

The old straight baton. I can really do some good work with it. Never trained on the PR-24 but could see it being a very useful tool. I carry a kubaton on my vehicle key chain, very comfortable with that as a defensive tool.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, close up and in certain surroundings. I do believe the rewards of using the strobe outweigh the risks but I don't see any risks with using high output mode, thus my personal preference.

Yeah, this does make the strobe function very useful in certain situations. Nothing wrong with that.

Yeah, that's true. I guess I should take this into consideration the next time I'm in the market for a new tactical light.

I've never carried pepper spray because I was worried about being perceived as un-macho. So I carried mace and a whistle instead. And I carried them in my really macho man bag that I used to wear on my shoulder.

By the way with batteries I quite often use the longer 18 something whatevers and use blazer brand. Then just have a non rechargeable set spare somewhere.

Kong is right with the batteries and torches. Cheap ones can blow up. Which is pretty crap.

I do nightcore with the smart ring. Which is a little dial on the front that goes from setting to setting. So I don't have to fart around as much changing light outputs.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The old straight baton. I can really do some good work with it. Never trained on the PR-24 but could see it being a very useful tool. I carry a kubaton on my vehicle key chain, very comfortable with that as a defensive tool.

Super uncomfortable with the kubaton. If I am threatened enough to need one I probably need a baseball bat.

I don't like to start a weapon fight with about the worlds most ineffective weapon.

Psilent Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I carry a kubaton on my vehicle key chain, very comfortable with that as a defensive tool.

I am seriously contemplating either purchasing or making a couple of kubotans (one for me and one for the Mrs.). I think the Kubotan is an overlooked but effective tool that can be really handy. If I do procure a Kubotan I'll also have it on my keychain(this makes plenty sense to me).

I do nightcore with the smart ring. Which is a little dial on the front that goes from setting to setting. So I don't have to fart around as much changing light outputs.

I know Nitecore has a pretty solid reputation and is up there with the big dogs like Surefire and Fenix. I may have to look at their flashlights soon. But what do you think about Ultrafire and their flashlights?

Super uncomfortable with the kubaton. If I am threatened enough to need one I probably need a baseball bat.

I would rather have the Kubotan and not need it than to need it and not have it. A Kubotan doesn't compare to a gun or a long stick but it has some qualities that make it useful.

I made a yawara (palm stick/pocket stick) a couple of weeks ago and I think it came out quite well. Very simple and cheap to do. No need to pay money for one.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am seriously contemplating either purchasing or making a couple of kubotans (one for me and one for the Mrs.). I think the Kubotan is an overlooked but effective tool that can be really handy. If I do procure a Kubotan I'll also have it on my keychain(this makes plenty sense to me).

Kubatons have some very attractive features. First, it's small and concealable. One can have it in hand but not 'brandishing' it if they feel a situation is iffy. If the iffy situation turns south it can easily and effectively be deployed rapidly. Second, it can be useful if you want to touch or move something you'd rather not touch with your hands. Those in L.E. will know what I'm talking about and is useful for checking/turning out pockets you'd rather not put your hand in. Third, even if you buy one, they're cheap. Ebay has a gazillion of them for a buck or two. Forth, they're pretty indestructible. I've had my same kubaton on my key chain for 20 years. Yeah, some of the black has worn to silver, but that just gives it character. Fifth, useful for some forms of 'come alongs' if you know how to use it. Sixth, handy window breaker in an emergency. Seventh, you'll never lose your keys with one attached, lol.

Kubaton/Yawara

I know Nitecore has a pretty solid reputation and is up there with the big dogs like Surefire and Fenix. I may have to look at their flashlights soon. But what do you think about Ultrafire and their flashlights?

I have several Ultrafire F13's. I use them when I'm in the deep woods. Generally speaking, most flashlights with XXXXfire are a lotto and different companies can make the same light to different standards. They look the same on the outside but the inside is much more important. Some with have a solid pill, some a hollow to save money. Some will have a decent driver, some not so much. Normally, one can use them as an inexpensive host to mod into a better flashlight. Each of my F13's were on sale for $9 each and I was lucky that they had solid pills, a good LED and the driver is standing up to use. Generally, they are a backup to my Trustfire A8 in the deep woods as I think the A8 is of better quality.

Overall, I have a lot of inexpensive lights to toss into the cars, backpack, by the door etc. Lots of Sipik SK68's. If I lose one or give it away I'm out maybe $2. But they're backup lights. For duty or a main line EDC I'll spend just a bit more money, but one doesn't have to spend $100 to get a quality light.

On duty I carry two, Convoy S2+ and Astrolux S1 (18650 lights). I EDC the Nitecore EA11 with the Nitecore SRT3 as my secondary go-to. The most expensive are the Nitecores but I bought the SRT3 for $25 from a buddy that received it for a review, took it out of the box for the review and then I bought it. Normally it's 3-4 times that price. The EA11 was somewhere around the $30 mark give or take. I'd put those up against much more expensive brands (where you're probably paying for the name. But that goes with anything).

So as a back up, Ultrafire has a LOT of different types of lights. It will be a lotto on the quality. Stay away from the Ebay deals that toss in the batteries and charger...they're junk usually. Nitecore makes a great charger and they're pretty inexpensive. A good lithium ion battery should give you 500 charges and hold it's juice. Stay away from the inflated mAh claims. A 14500 will have around 750mAh give or take. Same with a RCR123/16340. An 18650 between 2400-3600mAh. And a good 26650 4000-5000mAh give or take.

Stick with reputable dealers like Richard at Mountain Electronics: LEDs

Psilent Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Kong is right with the batteries and torches. Cheap ones can blow up. Which is pretty crap.

What do you mean by "cheap ones"? Are you referring to AA and AAA alkaline batteries or cheap brand lithium batteries?

Kubatons have some very attractive features. First, it's small and concealable. One can have it in hand but not 'brandishing' it if they feel a situation is iffy. If the iffy situation turns south it can easily and effectively be deployed rapidly. Second, it can be useful if you want to touch or move something you'd rather not touch with your hands. Those in L.E. will know what I'm talking about and is useful for checking/turning out pockets you'd rather not put your hand in. Third, even if you buy one, they're cheap. Ebay has a gazillion of them for a buck or two. Forth, they're pretty indestructible. I've had my same kubaton on my key chain for 20 years. Yeah, some of the black has worn to silver, but that just gives it character. Fifth, useful for some forms of 'come alongs' if you know how to use it. Sixth, handy window breaker in an emergency. Seventh, you'll never lose your keys with one attached, lol.

Yep, I pretty much concur with the entire checklist you wrote here.

Normally, one can use them as an inexpensive host to mod into a better flashlight.

How is this done? Is it something considered inadvisable to do? Is it a matter of placing the right parts together or is it a matter of making something to fit and work for you? Is it a risky thing to do?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't like to start a weapon fight with about the worlds most ineffective weapon.
I find it useful, but have stopped carrying mine almost entirely. Too many places I can't carry it. TSA doesn't allow them on planes. Many government buildings that have metal detectors/scanning stations don't allow them. While it's better than bare hands (IMO), it's not enough better to be worth the hassle AND having to wonder if I have it with me this time. I figured carrying inconsistently simply meant I'd never think to get it out, anyway.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good flashlight is a kubotan and a flashlight has the light feature. I can
only carry so many tools so ones that perform more than one function have to
be the ones utilized.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I find it useful, but have stopped carrying mine almost entirely. Too many places I can't carry it. TSA doesn't allow them on planes. Many government buildings that have metal detectors/scanning stations don't allow them. While it's better than bare hands (IMO), it's not enough better to be worth the hassle AND having to wonder if I have it with me this time. I figured carrying inconsistently simply meant I'd never think to get it out, anyway.

My issue is if you pull a weapon in a fight you are basically fighting for sheep stations. Where if you don't you might get off with a light beating.

Thats fine if the weapon makes the risk worthwhile. But a kubotan generally doesn't.

Even legally if he glasses me or something awful well I had a weapon. So he had to use one.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My issue is if you pull a weapon in a fight you are basically fighting for sheep stations. Where if you don't you might get off with a light beating.

Thats fine if the weapon makes the risk worthwhile. But a kubotan generally doesn't.

Even legally if he glasses me or something awful well I had a weapon. So he had to use one.
For me, a weapon's something I'd use when I think I need it. In that case, I'm already expecting a light beating isn't where this is likely to end, so my weapon isn't likely to change things. And a kubotan (or flashlight serving as one) isn't likely to raise someone's ire nearly as much as a baton, knife, etc. would. Given how often people don't notice knives, they may also not notice the kubotan.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For me, a weapon's something I'd use when I think I need it. In that case, I'm already expecting a light beating isn't where this is likely to end, so my weapon isn't likely to change things. And a kubotan (or flashlight serving as one) isn't likely to raise someone's ire nearly as much as a baton, knife, etc. would. Given how often people don't notice knives, they may also not notice the kubotan.

Yeah. But my issue was any time I needed a weapon. I needed more than a kubotan.

Would you pull your kubotan out if someone pulled a knife on you?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that why you pack the thing. To use against a knife?
Well, aside from the fact that I just said I don't actually pack it...

The reason I used to carry it was so I'd have a weapon when no better weapon was handy. If a knife came out, and I had nothing but the kubotan, that'd be what I'd use.