Systema a discussion

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh for goodness sake.....

That clip was a ridiculous example of exploiting a poor suggestible person for entertainment purposes

OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
O.k, despite the crap videos, a challenge has been set by 2 mma fighters on youtube, fight perfect is the youtube channel, they showed videos of non systema, and unfortunately a high ranking systema teacher performing no touch crap videos, these 2 gentleman are 1 IFC fighter, and a former UFC fighter, they have offered a challenge to Systema practioners to a filmed event to put Systema to the challenge, the original date was 6th June, it has now been moved to the 16th June. The following is a copy of the PM from my facebook message.
They reacted.
16th Jun, I am going to see Joe Menghini & Bradley Scott in Melksham.
Myself and one other are going to Melksham in Wiltshire on the said date to prove the Systema principles, it will be filmed regardless of the result, on the said youtube channel, and as soon as I can will post the video on this forum, myself and my friend are going to use Systema fighting principles without the Jedi BS seen in some videos posted on the internet.
We are doing this not for self gratification, but to prove the basic principles of Systema are valid in the MA world, neither of us that are attending are teachers, but students of Systema, so in theory there is no advertising benefits, we just want to put to bed the legitimacy of the style/art/process.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
O.k, despite the crap videos, a challenge has been set by 2 mma fighters on youtube, fight perfect is the youtube channel, they showed videos of non systema, and unfortunately a high ranking systema teacher performing no touch crap videos, these 2 gentleman are 1 IFC fighter, and a former UFC fighter, they have offered a challenge to Systema practioners to a filmed event to put Systema to the challenge, the original date was 6th June, it has now been moved to the 16th June. The following is a copy of the PM from my facebook message.
They reacted.
Myself and one other are going to Melksham in Wiltshire on the said date to prove the Systema principles, it will be filmed regardless of the result, on the said youtube channel, and as soon as I can will post the video on this forum, myself and my friend are going to use Systema fighting principles without the Jedi BS seen in some videos posted on the internet.
We are doing this not for self gratification, but to prove the basic principles of Systema are valid in the MA world, neither of us that are attending are teachers, but students of Systema, so in theory there is no advertising benefits, we just want to put to bed the legitimacy of the style/art/process.
A systema person fighting an Mma fight against Mma fighters....there's only way that's going to end

OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You have your beliefs HH I have mine, the video will tell all, many people think they know about Systema, when they veiw videos, I have clearly stated in the past I follow the Vasiliev/Ryabko system, I do not follow the BS no touch crap, no matter who teaches it, but the basic principles of breath, relax, posture and movement I follow, and believe in, also the hit differently I am a follower of. There is no hiding after the 16th June, as 2 independent entities will publish the video, either way will back up a theory, I am confident, if I am wrong (which I am Not), then I will publically say, I have 2 3rd Dans, my teacher has a 5th Dan (not in Systema as there is no grading) I have also done Bare knuckle boxing, we are not stupid Uneducated people. But we will see on the 16th June and I look forward to your apology.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You have your beliefs HH I have mine, the video will tell all, many people think they know about Systema, when they veiw videos, I have clearly stated in the past I follow the Vasiliev/Ryabko system, I do not follow the BS no touch crap, no matter who teaches it, but the basic principles of breath, relax, posture and movement I follow, and believe in, also the hit differently I am a follower of. There is no hiding after the 16th June, as 2 independent entities will publish the video, either way will back up a theory, I am confident, if I am wrong (which I am Not), then I will publically say, I have 2 3rd Dans, my teacher has a 5th Dan (not in Systema as there is no grading) I have also done Bare knuckle boxing, we are not stupid Uneducated people. But we will see on the 16th June and I look forward to your apology.

Do you have any idea who you will be fighting?

Are you matched up by weight?

OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To Joe we are similar weight, but watch the videos, he drinks a lot of strong cider nowdays, means weak liver and kidneys, his left ear is cauliflowered, but not the right, means he clinches with left to the inside ,he also stretches his left leg in training, probaly an inherent weakness, or covering an injury, was in the UFC for 10 years, yes I know who I am fighting.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well you'll be dissapointed then since I won't be appoligising for anything no matter what happens

zzj

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The core principles make it look like Systema is the Russian version of Tai Chi, but it does look very different in practice.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
They reacted.

I think this is great!!
Good luck and it'll be really interesting to see the videos

I watched the fight perfect video on systema and concluded that the guys are pretty closed to other approaches / styles and whatever the result I hope these kind of events encourage everyone to be more open in their appreciation of other styles
My only suggestion is to make sure that the rules / structure of the session isn't skewed towards MMA

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think his point was you're going into their territory. This is the very thing they train for. What I teach and train works, but if I go to a BJJ competition, I expect the BJJ folks to be better at that than I am.

At the same time, it's not impossible to make a good showing. Win/lose isn't the determiner here.

OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think his point was you're going into their territory. This is the very thing they train for. What I teach and train works, but if I go to a BJJ competition, I expect the BJJ folks to be better at that than I am.

At the same time, it's not impossible to make a good showing. Win/lose isn't the determiner here.

I agree with you, what is more important to me, is the fact that Systema can be seen as a legit form of self defense, without the no touch bs (which I have never been shown, not even in seminars). Many thanks for the posts on encouragement.

OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Alas, I received a FB message this morning that said " due to unforeseen circumstances, we are no longer able to host, or attend the event we had planned with you this weekend Sunday 16th, we apologise for any inconvenience caused".
I have messaged them back asking if they wish to reschedule, I will keep you informed.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alas, I received a FB message this morning that said " due to unforeseen circumstances, we are no longer able to host, or attend the event we had planned with you this weekend Sunday 16th, we apologise for any inconvenience caused".
I have messaged them back asking if they wish to reschedule, I will keep you informed.
That's disappointing.

OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's disappointing.
Yes it is, but as I do not yet know the reasons why, I am not going to whine, or make silly claims, I will just wait and see how they reply. But I would like it to happen sooner rather than later.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Interesting. But probably better off for all involved.

Just keep training, bro. To hell with the BS challenges. I mean, who the hell challenges anyone concerning styles any more? At least among those with a lick of sense in their head?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Just keep training, bro. To hell with the BS challenges. I mean, who the hell challenges anyone concerning styles any more? At least among those with a lick of sense in their head?
Yep that's probably why they cancelled they realised its stupid and a waste of time. It's a no win situation for the Mma guys. If they win then so what am MMA guy won a Mma match against a systema guy and if they lose then that fighter and that fighters gyms reputation takes a big hit. So why waste time with it. Also as I said before it's very unlikely an Mma guy would lose an Mma match to a systema guy. That's nothing against systema but simply by fighting Mma your playing your opponents game. Just like how if a jiu jitsu fighter fought a Muay Thai guy at Muay Thai the Muay Thai guy would easily win.

People just need to train what they want. We can debate forever about street realism or sport vs self defence and rules and all that but at the end of the day who gives a damm just do what you want to do

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Or do any entry level MMA fight.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes it is, but as I do not yet know the reasons why, I am not going to whine, or make silly claims, I will just wait and see how they reply. But I would like it to happen sooner rather than later.
Why though? Why's it so important for you to do some pointless fight? Just keep doing what you're doing with your training and don't worry about proving anything

OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In the original video, they invited anyone who trained in Systema, were welcome to go to their gym, to prove that they were wrong about Systema, simple as that, no personal ego trip.

OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Or I have congenital analgesia