Study Groups

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@Dirty Dog, youtube Kanku Dai. I think that is the correct spelling.
****EDIT**** Wrong form! I will work on a history when I get home.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd like to see documentation for this claim. Prior to the unification, the various kwan all taught their own system with their own forms. Since these systems were derived from Shotokan, they were mostly taught using the pinan forms. Those forms were Okinawan-originated. None of the Korean form sets (palgwae, taegeuk, etc) existed until after the unification.
The Palgwae and Yudanja forms were introduced in 1969 (if memory serves - the late-60's at any rate). Koryo was different, and was replaced by the current version 3-4 years later. I believe these were the only two versions of Koryo. Neither existed prior to the unification. Like the palgwae and taegeuk poomsae, the yudanja forms were designed by a committee. It wouldn't be correct to say they were developed by the Kukkiwon, since the KKW didn't exist yet. It would be more accurate to say they were developed by the same people who eventually formed the KKW.

I cannot find much in video form on Youtube.
The KTA had a Koryo that references are calling Koryo So or old Koryo or Koryo 1. It was created in 1965

A version called Koryo Dae is referenced in the book Taekwondo Poomsae: The Fighting Scrolls and a other sources. It dates around 1956.

I went to several seminars back in the early 80's that had an Okinawan version of Koryo. It was said to be the origin of the Kukkiwon form but cannot find any reference to back that up. There were a Lot of seminars back then regarding WTF/Kukkiown and the Olympics. You seldom heard much about Kukkiwon because the TKD in the Olympics was the headline.

Clearly Kukkiwon is the lead dog as far a TKD poomsae are concerned and I acknowledge that. Our schools, like yours, do not fully embrace the Kukkiwon form technique. Our GM Shin, Seoung Eui is quick to point out where the Yudanja and Taeguek forms do not make a lot of sense. Regardless, the Kukkiwon set is the world recognized standard so I will learn and teach them per the standard. We will also continue to teach and learn our more TSD centric ways as well.

I enjoy the banter. Thanks

Latest Discussions