When Sanda beat Muay Thai

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay...so you found a few videos of a Muay Thai PRACTITIONER losing to a Sanda PRACTITIONER. The reason I emphasis the practitioner word is because it's not the style that's winning its the fighter. It doesn't prove its effectiveness or its weakness it just proves that one fighter was better than the other on that given night. There's probably thousands of examples of the Muay Thai guys winning as well. It doesn't prove anything or mean anything. By listening to the opening statements it sounds like you or whoever is narrating is bitter towards Muay Thais popularity and success which frankly is silly. Muay Thai will always be popular these days and tbh it does have high success for striking in Mma. That's not knocking any others and saying they're not effective but honestly don't worry about it. Do your thing and if you enjoy it great and don't worry about everyone else's opinion

OP
S

Stuart

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am the narrator yes.

I also agree that the style isn’t the most important factor but the practitioner.

Nevertheless I don’t know why you would think that I’d be bitter towards Muay Thai.

I hear a lot of people say Muay Thai is the only effective style and I wanted to point out that’s not the case.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hear a lot of people say Muay Thai is the only effective style and I wanted to point out that’s not the case.

I've never heard a single person say that, and I'm betting you haven't either.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am the narrator yes.

I also agree that the style isn’t the most important factor but the practitioner.

Nevertheless I don’t know why you would think that I’d be bitter towards Muay Thai.

No one has ever said that....everyone knows these days that there's loads of styles that are effective. You aren't making a good case for not sounding bitter against Muay Thai.

Why do you need to point it out? If people think that then who cares? Sure you can discuss it but frankly making a video to prove that Sanda can beat Muay Thai...it's a bit pointless tbh

OP
S

Stuart

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well then please ignore.

I posted this video on here and on reddit after I made it, they seemed to know what I was getting at.

One of the quotes from there r/martialarts;

“Nearly every single post on this sub devolves into people say that anything that isn’t Muay Thai isn’t worth Training”.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If you can find them on Youtube still. There use to be a lot of Chinese police sanda challenges with other country police. There were some pretty good Sanda vs Muay Thai there

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I mean...a lot of people who train any art, say it's the best art. And they believe it, because if they didn't think the art was good, then they would train a different one.

Taekwondo is the best art, because your legs are your most powerful weapon.
BJJ is the best art, because all fights go to the ground.
Muay Thai is the best art, because you strike with every available striking surface.

I'm sure everyone could provide a reason why their primary art is the best.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well then please ignore.

I posted this video on here and on reddit after I made it, they seemed to know what I was getting at.

“Nearly every single post on this sub devolves into people say that anything that isn’t Muay Thai isn’t worth Training”.
I read through r/martialarts periodically and I think that's not an accurate characterization. There is a significant bias in favor of arts which involve live full contact pressure testing such as Muay Thai, boxing, Kyokushin, BJJ, Sambo, Judo, wrestling, MMA, ... and Sanda. There is a general bias against arts which do not typically involve such testing, such as Aikido, Bujinkan Taijutsu, many forms of Kung Fu, etc.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I read through r/martialarts periodically and I think that's not an accurate characterization. There is a significant bias in favor of arts which involve live full contact pressure testing such as Muay Thai, boxing, Kyokushin, BJJ, Sambo, Judo, wrestling, MMA, ... and Sanda. There is a general bias against arts which do not typically involve such testing, such as Aikido, Bujinkan Taijutsu, many forms of Kung Fu, etc.

The thing I see is that Muay Thai, BJJ, and MMA are often the proposed alternatives to any other art. I don't see many suggestions to take Kyokushin or Sambo.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The thing I see is that Muay Thai, BJJ, and MMA are often the proposed alternatives to any other art. I don't see many suggestions to take Kyokushin or Sambo.
Probably because those arts aren't so widely available and fewer people are familiar with them.

D

Deleted member 39746

See how i would examine this is, which one has the most realistic rule set to emulate what you should do in a fight.

Example i saw someone say judos ground fighting might be good with the time constraint as it emphasis's expediency in finishing someone off on the ground if you just stuck there or expediency in defence. and you dont really want to be taken down at all if you can help it. (if you just add in leg take downs like in traditional judo, that would probably work better)

Since you can basically make what ever rules you want and basically take the rules from sanda as a MT practitioner or other practitioner its kind of ehhhh. But you could do worse than either if you want something for actual fighting people

There is a general bias against arts which do not typically involve such testing, such as Aikido, Bujinkan Taijutsu, many forms of Kung Fu, etc.

To be fair, i would support the bias as they do not seek to just be about fighting. there is a varying significant personal development and progression and spiritual/health component in the listed styles and many others. Granted combat sports dont overly prepare you for a knife in the stomach but the rule set of the sport,but they are just about doing the sport. (and pending rules it can vary to how well it would be applied outside a controlled environment)

Kyokoshin has a pretty big spiritual component/self betterment component in it doesn't it? since it is a sub style of karate. I know they spar a lot but i think they do the same rulesets as the other karate sine they dont allow punches to the face and that seems to be a karate thing. (thats just a generic question, i dont precisely know what makes it different and what keeps it karate)

Good luck finding it outside eastern Europe/Russia, pahaha. :p (it exists, its just rare)

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
See how i would examine this is, which one has the most realistic rule set to emulate what you should do in a fight.

Example i saw someone say judos ground fighting might be good with the time constraint as it emphasis's expediency in finishing someone off on the ground if you just stuck there or expediency in defence. and you dont really want to be taken down at all if you can help it. (if you just add in leg take downs like in traditional judo, that would probably work better)

Since you can basically make what ever rules you want and basically take the rules from sanda as a MT practitioner or other practitioner its kind of ehhhh. But you could do worse than either if you want something for actual fighting people

To be fair, i would support the bias as they do not seek to just be about fighting. there is a varying significant personal development and progression and spiritual/health component in the listed styles and many others. Granted combat sports dont overly prepare you for a knife in the stomach but the rule set of the sport,but they are just about doing the sport. (and pending rules it can vary to how well it would be applied outside a controlled environment)

Kyokoshin has a pretty big spiritual component/self betterment component in it doesn't it? since it is a sub style of karate. I know they spar a lot but i think they do the same rulesets as the other karate sine they dont allow punches to the face and that seems to be a karate thing. (thats just a generic question, i dont precisely know what makes it different and what keeps it karate)

Good luck finding it outside eastern Europe/Russia, pahaha. :p (it exists, its just rare)
You see this is what I was talking about with you and the other thread with @skribs

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well then please ignore.

Maybe you're discussing martial arts in the wrong places then :p

I've seen what you're talking about there.. most people accept any full contact art as legitimate, but some don't, saying 'muay thai and bjj or nothing'. I don't bother with trying to persuade those people.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe you're discussing martial arts in the wrong places then :p

I've seen what you're talking about there.. most people accept any full contact art as legitimate, but some don't, saying 'muay thai and bjj or nothing'. I don't bother with trying to persuade those people.

And any art that trains different from theirs is automatically wrong.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you were going to make the comparison it is not the fighters but the competition.

If I wanted to be a top notch Sanda guy there is less opportunity to get fights.

Where I could win titles and compete against elite guys doing Thai.

So I would still point people towards thai if they wanted a fight career. Because they would get more out of it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you were going to make the comparison it is not the fighters but the competition.

If I wanted to be a top notch Sanda guy there is less opportunity to get fights.

Where I could win titles and compete against elite guys doing Thai.

So I would still point people towards thai if they wanted a fight career. Because they would get more out of it.
True where you live. Not necessarily everywhere.

Outside of that, you can train a style but compete in another. So if the best coach around only teaches sanda, but there are plenty of kickboxing tournaments nearby, you could learn sanda and just compete against kickboxers in their ruleset. As long as the rulesets similar enough.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
True where you live. Not necessarily everywhere.

Outside of that, you can train a style but compete in another. So if the best coach around only teaches sanda, but there are plenty of kickboxing tournaments nearby, you could learn sanda and just compete against kickboxers in their ruleset. As long as the rulesets similar enough.

Correct. Which means the Santa guys would basically be Thai guys anyway.

But because the money, fame and opportunity is in Thai. The best coaches are Thai.

http://boonchu.com/gym/
Arguably one of the best kicker punches in the world and I don't have to leave the state.

Now yes if I was in some Sanda dominated country that would change.

But I can definitely see why people would advise Thai over Sanda.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sanda and MT have different rule. You can get points in Sanda by throwing your opponent down. Do you get point from MT for that?

MT is a subset of Sanda,
Sanda is a subset of MMA.

MT (kick + punch) < Sanda (kick + punch + throw) < MMA (kick + punch + throw + ground game)

Last edited:

Latest Discussions