Sticking with a liquid fast

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Has anyone actually stuck with a liquid fast for more than a day or so? If so, any advice for sticking with it?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Until medical things happened I did dawn-to-dusk fasts for a month every year. You just get used to it after a while.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But be careful—the body needs bulk going through the system....

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Has anyone actually stuck with a liquid fast for more than a day or so? If so, any advice for sticking with it?
I've done it... after a surgical proceedure... it sucked... lost a lot of weight... people thought I had aids for cripes sake... but it does work... just got to chug down the ensure to make sure you got the nutrients your body needs. When you get to your ideal weight (after consulting with your doctor of course) then stick to a healthy diet.
But avoid the milk! http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58289

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you get to your ideal weight (after consulting with your doctor of course) then stick to a healthy diet.

Fasting as a means of weight loss is a bad idea. Your body goes through many metabolic changes during starvation mode that are going to make healthy weight loss harder, and might stick with you once you go back to a normal diet. Does any martial artist really want to lose a bunch of lean muscle mass, for instance?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you fast your body does a number of complicated interrelated things. They boil down to "Oh ****! We're starving!" and putting mechanisms into play to store as much food as possible since there's no telling when you'll eat again. You may actually find that you have gained weight a bit after you end your fast.

Oh, and Ensure is one of the nastiest concoctions devised by the mind of Man. The smell is terrible, and the taste, Lord almighty. It's like a chemical plant died and started to rot.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
there are a number of problems that one can encounter on a liquid diet... my aunt lost over 100 lbs and put every single one..... plus more... once she started eating real food again. If you're doing it for a day because of beliefs no problems (be sure to hydrate) but long term liquid diets are not successful as they do not focus on what caused the weight gain in the first place.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're better off with the slow-and-steady method of weight loss. I gave up on diets and started eating a better quality of food most of the time, and dropped most of the snacking; I lost 15 pounds pretty painlessly and it's stayed off - although I haven't weighed myself since I got back into town, so I might have regained some at my mother's house. I need to start up again now that I'm home.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is this fast a long-term one for weight loss, a spiritual one for personal or religious reasons or something else entirely? I think everyone has covered the weight loss part pretty thoroughly. If it's for some other reason then that's a different matter.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is this fast a long-term one for weight loss, a spiritual one for personal or religious reasons or something else entirely? I think everyone has covered the weight loss part pretty thoroughly. If it's for some other reason then that's a different matter.

It's not for weight loss. Thanks for answering the question ;)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's not for weight loss. Thanks for answering the question ;)

Its not for weightloss, Carol just really likes Wine and wants to live off of it. :D

but Seriously:

I've done it. I fast a couple times a year, usually for 7 days. Sometimes its a complete fast... nothing but water, but Usually its part of a cleansing ritual, so I am taking Water, Fibre, various vitamins/herbs, natural juices, etc...

All I can say is Willpower. Thats all that ever gets me thru them. By about day 5, commercials on TV for food Piss me off.

Latest Discussions