Don't Drink The Milk Carol! And other Massachusetts' members

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
2 die from listeriosis in Massachusetts
Fri Dec 28, 9:41 AM ET
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071228/ap_on_re_us/listeriosis_deaths
BOSTON - State health officials warned consumers not to drink milk produced by a Massachusetts dairy, saying it was the likely source of a bacterial illness that killed two men and sickened two others.
Whittier Farms suspended operations and distribution, said Dr. Alfred DeMaria, the state director of communicable disease control. Most of its customers live in Worcester County.
The Department of Public Health issued the warning Thursday after identifying four cases of listeriosis. Two of the victims, a 78-year-old man and a 75-year-old man, died in June and October.
Investigators have not identified the exact source of the contamination in the production process, DeMaria said. But milk samples gathered last week at one of the dairy's two retail stores tested positive for listeria.
Testing showed that the bacteria causing the infections in the four victims likely came from the same source.
Pretty bad stuff that listeria. Be careful.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yikes! Thanks for the warning.

ktaylor75

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My gosh...I drink at least 3 glasses of milk a day! Hmmm....do I go for heartburn behind door #1 or go for the listeriosis? I love milk, am drinking a glass of it right now...gonna go check if it comes from a Mass dairy...verdict is in--Chelsea, MA!

I guess its like most anything else, remember hearing about the people that died or got really sick from the disease carried by mosqitos? Well, someone in Carver, MA contracted the disease this past summer...and where did I go camping this summer? Yup, you guessed it, Carver, MA. So, unless they pull the milk from the shelves, I will continue to drink it...yum :)