Static Stance

M

MountainSage

I've just begun training in shuai chiao with a couple of videos from a David Lin out of Georgia. I have noticed that many of the Chinese are use static stances as beginning training for many of their arts. Is there a particular reason? I am not familiar with chinese arts.

Mountain Sage

OP
Y

yilisifu

This is often done to:

A) Develop strength, especially in the hips, waist, and legs, and

B) Coordinated with breathing exercises to assist in nourishing, gathering, lowering, and learning to manipulate chi. There are many such static exercises.

Is your teacher Lin Jiyung (of Queens, NY)? If so, I met him many years ago at the AAU Nationals. Give him my best regards!

Phillip Starr

OP
M

MountainSage

Yilisifu,
I've never been any farther east than Billings, Montana and after reading my own post it is obvious grammer classes might be helpful. My primary arts is TKD and I was a high school wrestler so shuai chiao looked interesting. I like the chinese arts for there practicality for big people like me and the stressing the concept of Chi/Ki. I can assure you that I will never be catch in NY city; Big cities scared the hell out of me. I am a 300 lb. coward.

Mountain Sage
Mike Wood

OP
Y

yilisifu

Yes, I re-read your post and saw my mistake - you got a ocuple of videos made by David Lin. I am certain that that is Lin Jiyung (also, Lin Chi-yung) of Queens, NY; a well-known shuai-jiao teacher and an old friend.

Sorry....

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Mountain Sage,

The static posture exercises are invaluable at helping to protect the joints. Thomas Kurz has some good resourceful material on flexibility and joint strength. The "slow twitch" fibres are what really stabilize the joints besides connective tissues. Kurz explains this well. The stance practice has helped my TKD.

A World Champion Shuai Chaio man named Matt Furey has a good website dealing with all kinds of wrestling resources. Use the key words "combat conditioning" in your search engine if interested.

I have studied Judo some, but not S.C. Looks pretty intense!

Good luck,
white belt

OP
M

MountainSage

Hello again white belt,
Will look up Kurz's information and I have Furey's book. Having been a high school wrestler and my belief in having fight ability from multi-distances Chinese wrestling seem to be a good fit. Furey's stuff is a combination of high school, college, and chinese wrestling skills that compliment a linear style like TKD.

Mountain Sage

JD_Nelson

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by white belt
Mountain Sage,

The static posture exercises are invaluable at helping to protect the joints. Thomas Kurz has some good resourceful material on flexibility and joint strength. The "slow twitch" fibres are what really stabilize the joints besides connective tissues. Kurz explains this well. The stance practice has helped my TKD.

A World Champion Shuai Chaio man named Matt Furey has a good website dealing with all kinds of wrestling resources. Use the key words "combat conditioning" in your search engine if interested.

I have studied Judo some, but not S.C. Looks pretty intense!

Good luck,
white belt

Can you explain this a bit more about the stances? What particular exercises does it involve?

I recently had reconstructive ACL surgery. Fortunately, I am recovering very well to date. I am trying to work on my stances and am gradually getting able to move through some of the techniques again. Before the surgery, I worked quite a bit from a horse stance working on the muscles of the leg. The doctors and the physical therapists are very inmpressed with my progress to date. I give the credit to a well done surgery and the discipline i have learned through the martial arts to do the therapy outside of the hospital.

Any way, please elaborate about these stances if you could.

Salute,

JD_Nelson

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
JD Nelson,

I had ACL reconstruction on my right knee 4 years ago. I am fully recovered as far as abilities go. I used a stationary bike to pump synovial fluid in and out of the joint as well as quarter kneebends. The static postures were mainly done after acheiving some measure of mobility from the aforementioned. If you use the basic horse stance, and stay around a 1/4-1/3 kneebend depth, you will be activating the front/quads more specifically. The deeper you go, the more the glutes and hamstrings come into play. That is not what you want yet, as you already know from your therapist. The VMO portion of the quad is activated by centering your bodyweight on the ball of the foot more so than the heel of the foot. That little adjustment in centering will accelerate the knees recovery and stablization. After a certain level of strength is attained in horse stance, the "Cat Stance" with the injured leg in the rear, takes the recovery phase training up a couple of notches. I know it looks simplistic, what I described, but I am happy with my recovery. MATT FUREY's hindu squat program is very good at bringing the knees to FULL recovery, but this is done after the therapies are no longer a challenge. I can do 4-500 hindu squats and jumping kicks with no problem now and I consider myself non-athletic. I don't mean to sound corny, but patience pays off. If I can feel great, most anyone can. I will be 44 this year. Play with feeling for the floor with the ball of the foot while in horse stance and see how things go for you. I swear by double dosage Glucosamine/Chondroitin for your/our type of injury. It too accelerated my recovery.

Good luck!
white belt

Latest Discussions