Shaolin monks.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They're apparently doing a demo. on the Conan O'Brien show that starts in 5 minutes (in my time zone). The commercial seemed to show someone using a multi-section whip.

Y

yilisifu

If they're the same ones I saw in a large demonstration, they're not really monks nor are they truly martial arts practicioners. They seemed to be trained in various forms used in contemporary wushu, but their basics were horrible. Their chigong demo was a complete fake...

Nice music and stage effects, though.......;)

C

chufeng

What???

No sex...no meat....
How much time do you think they actually spend training?

Prayers/meditation (no, you can't do it your way) for XX # of hours....

Cooking duties (and cleaning pots)...KP in the military...

Farming duties...shovel some more of that human feces on the cabbage, please.

Chop wood, carry water....

Maybe three hours a day devoted to martial arts...
The rest of your 18 hour day is chores and prayers...

Go ahead, be a monk...

But I agree, I'd be one, too, if I weren't married, and in America, and Christian, and...

:asian:
chufeng

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The upside (if there is one for monastic life) is that the Shaolin never took vows of chastity... Might not be able to eat meat, but you can at least look forward to galavanting around with the ladies downtown!!!

Gambarimasu.

T

TLH3rdDan

If they're the same ones I saw in a large demonstration, they're not really monks nor are they truly martial arts practicioners.

which group are you refering too????? just curious

Y

yilisifu

The group to which I'm referring tours the U.S. (and so, I imagine, other nations) putting on demos which last well over two hours...mostly some sloppy contemporary wushu, some faked chigong...their show is called "Shao-lin Warriors" and they ARE from the PRC.....

qizmoduis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You don't need to go to some remote buddhist temple in China to be a monk. Just get married and have a few children. At that point, you may as well be a monk.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by qizmoduis
You don't need to go to some remote buddhist temple in China to be a monk. Just get married and have a few children. At that point, you may as well be a monk.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
When a monk gets divorced, does he have to carry a large red hot metal pot, with his forearms, into the front yard ala Kwai Chang? What would be in the pot?

Master Po Divorce Lawyer: "Aaahh, Grasshopper! Grab testicles from wife hand and you may leave!".

white belt

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Think, no meat, no beer/alcohol, no sex, no TV/music or any entertainment. How is being a monk=fun? Unless you are one of those fake monks who get pay to play one.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They called it the Shaolin "Wheel of Life"; there were two kids as well the adult monks. A double nine-section whip demo, fingertip handstands, and lots of jumping around--I was underwhelmed.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Johnathan Napalm
Think, no meat, no beer/alcohol, no sex, no TV/music or any entertainment. How is being a monk=fun? Unless you are one of those fake monks who get pay to play one.

I don't think the Shaolin had restrictions against beer and sex... Meat, yes (that whole Buddhist vegetarian thing).

I think Shinobi just isn't too sure what they do, or he has a really weird definition of what "fun" means...

Gambarimasu.

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
You could be a Shaolin and not be a monk. But if you became a monk, I believe booze and women were out of reach. Since there is no more real Shaolin monk, then it is everything goes for those who want to play one.

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
They called it the Shaolin "Wheel of Life"; there were two kids as well the adult monks. A double nine-section whip demo, fingertip handstands, and lots of jumping around--I was underwhelmed.

Saw that on TV. They are more like the Peking Acrobat show.

Y

yilisifu

Sounds like the same group I saw. I was also underwhelmed.

S

Shinobi

I've watched Kung Fu: The Legend Continues and seen them monks!