Spreading the art?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are an evil man... and I was called a troublemaker. :rolleyes: :)

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tgace said:
You are an evil man... and I was called a troublemaker. :rolleyes: :)

:rofl:

The funny thing is, I wasn't even trying to be a trouble maker! Can't help it, I guess... ;)

I actually thought this would make a good discussion. I think that we all need to think about the idea of "spreading the art." Why do it? How do we do it? What problems can occur with doing it? What problems occur with NOT doing it?

I think it is all worth reflection...

:asian:
PAUL

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
ARNIS PRINCESS said:
Something that needs to be done or arts will become extinct.
Agreed. That, as far as I am concerned, is to train well, teach well, lead by example. As has been stated on the origins of this spin off (you have trickster rabbit ears under a hat don't you Paul :)), the problem that I see with focusing on 'spreading the art' as a primary goal is that you end up with watered down, over simplified, and sold off rank. THe business axium that a good product practically sells itself seems to be fairly sound.

The problem is that the service product of Martial arts is more than selling a system, it is selling a presentor of that product as well. There is an element of the 'cult of personallity' in how a school/system/art is sold. So are we salesmen first and martial artists second? Are we evangelists or are we instructors? Promotion, sales, public relations are all necessary but are they the largest part of your 'doing business time'? We are not trained in 'advertising/marketing arts', but martial artists. Do that well, understand the market and do your best to present an honest, quality product (welcome/safe training environment and have a clear mission/goal/philosophy) and the people who fit the 'corporate culture' that you establish will be attracted by advertising, word of mouth and personal investigation.

I fear that 'spreading the art' as a primary goal has been too often used as a not so thinly veiled market goal of creating lots of well paying students instead of well instructed students.

RP was used as an example so I hope this isn't seen as grave dancing, but his desire to create links with already ranked Black Belts (with schools that could provide students to whom he wanted to spread his art) led to pre-qualified awardings of rank, a revolving door of 'good people' who were sick and tired of being told that at first or second black they were to instruct these other system ranked folks to equal or higher rank and a lack of organizational leadership decisions at critical moments.

RP was a gifted martial artists, experienced fighter, good teacher and incredibly charismatic personallity, but his seminar approach - though a good approach to 'spread the art' has also left it with a red headed step child image amongst other martial arts. It has the reputation of the "add on art" because RP didn't want to be unwelcome because BB/Instructors thought he might be fishing for students.

I don't say this with a blind eye for the incredible work he accomplished in the PI and outside of it, but 'spreading the art' as a primary motivation has taken its toll on the understanding and reputation of the art as well. It is far more than most understand.

That isn't even going into the political BS that errupted because of the goal.

As far as the 'unforseen' end of RP's life, we all die. RP's process was progressive and left enough time for him to outline his MA legacy. Those who were satisfied fight for its legitimacy. Those who didn't like the way he set it up went out on their own....either way the art lives on, but so does the political crap.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry, not a lot of time to post, so bare with me.

The cult-of-personality thing in Martial Arts is a huge issue overall, but it is easily combated by the instructors motives. If the motives are nobile and not to create a cult of personality, then it'll be fine.

For the rest, though, it seems that we have a dilemma. You go out and spread the art the way that RP did, and you risk a political mess that he had to face, and that we now face.

If you stay indoors and only teach in small groups or privates, then you really do rick your art dying off.

So we know the strengths and limitations of each. What is the solution to the dilemma?

:idunno: :asian:

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
For the rest, though, it seems that we have a dilemma. You go out and spread the art the way that RP did, and you risk a political mess that he had to face, and that we now face.

If you stay indoors and only teach in small groups or privates, then you really do rick your art dying off.

So we know the strengths and limitations of each. What is the solution to the dilemma?

:idunno: :asian:
Well, I don't see a problem with the structure that RP used (seminars, camps...small group/privates as possible) to instruct and the establish a base of qualified instructors to begin teaching MA in the states or where ever he was working. It becomes a problem when that beginning phase of growth building isn't changed into something else with a solid plan and structure.

Consider Al Tracy who was nicknamed the "Johnny Appleseed" of American Kenpo. I know there is artistic strife there, but he had/has a better business building model to use than RP established. Once you have created a core of students and possible instructors, you combine groups with one on one to get people through the basics in a more attentive, personal private environment. After that, you transition into whole class formats and can continue with privates along the way, but you get the best of both worlds. His business model doesn't work for everyone, but he doesn't say you have to use it exactly. It is a guideline that you can modify. RP never really moved out of the building and growth phase of making a business. Up until his last instructional days, he was using the same business format that he used from the beginning.

His business plan was similar. Establish a core of qualified instructors who know the system AND the business/instructional plan and let them grow the seed he planted in that area with a support network, but they do the local work. I know there were organizations, but as far as I know, none of the business support and training that these people needed was provided by those organizations. This was partly because RP assumed that the BB's with schools already knew how to do that. BUT they didn't know how to do it for MA thus MA got marketed locally as either Filipino "Karate" or as a supplemental art.

RP had part of that plan, but not all. His program turned into a cult of personallity when people didn't want to find instructors but wanted to follow RP instead. Think about how hard it is/was to find qualified MA instructors who weren't using it as a 'supplemental art' and it looked like the base art w/stick more than it did actual FMA.

No one has said to hide your light under a bushel, but if it 'has to happen within your lifetime' then it isn't so much about the art as it is about earning a living and ego - I don't say that with a critical tone because nothing is better than earning a living doing what you love. The problem is when the motivation and actions are saying one thing but the words are saying another. Is it really about the art or the promotor? There are many a decent art that has evolved slowly and steadily because the product was good and people developed/spread it through instruction instead of promotion. There are many a sound system that has evolved and changed with the times.

Arts die because people avoid bad instructors, poor character and negative groups. If there is no structure, business plan or instructional training in a program/system then it runs the risk of being a dinosaur.

The validity of any current art is more about 'feel' than practicallity. How many times have we said that there are millions of reasons that people start practicing. After a while people stay with an art/group because if 'feels' right more than it is practical...

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As loki said...one of the biggest downsides of "spreading the art and encouraging "teaching right away" is the quality of instruction. While making Arnis acessable to the general public through its Instructor's seminar program, there are people teaching the art before even understanding it. While I agree that it helps you learn to teach, some of these Instructors (many of which come from McDojos are promoting themselves as "Arnis Experts" and sellng it to there unknowing students. I have been involved in FMA long enough to be able to tell 'who has it and who doesn't" but what about the person who doesn't have alot of knowledge of Arnis? While it does get the word of Arnis out there, its not always the right one.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many systems seek to spread the art just for the pride of seeing the art be practiced across the globe, without any financial overtures.

It begs the question of whether an art should be sold at all? Many instructors choose to teach for free or on a system of barter or favors. This makes for small schools and no need for a marketing budget. Other systems have their governing organizations registered as non-profit.

On the cult of personality subject, I think that the worst thing is when someone becomes a "cult of personality" without their own knowledge or blessing. Halie Salasie was the subject of the entire rastafarian religion and never knew who they were, despite having met some of the religions followers. Dan Inosanto often reaches the cultish level, but the guy constantly preaches against it.

S

StraightRazor

Im new here. This is my first post as a matter of fact. But i have been lurking as a guest for a while. And I jump into a political thread (typical ;))

I notice that there seems to be more behind this thread than I can see on the surface. It started on the originating thread and seems to be brewing here too. A sort of simmering tension. Between players here. You guys know each other or somthin?

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
StraightRazor said:
Im new here. This is my first post as a matter of fact. But i have been lurking as a guest for a while. And I jump into a political thread (typical ;))

I notice that there seems to be more behind this thread than I can see on the surface. It started on the originating thread and seems to be brewing here too. A sort of simmering tension. Between players here. You guys know each other or somthin?

Everyone here knows everyone else from past posts at the very least. Tension? Just conversation as far as I am concerned.

I notice on your Profile you list FMA as your art as well as being from the Bflo area. Who do you study with? It is a small fraternity of FMA only folks in this area.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is another example of, at least in the market side of things, 'spreading the art' as a primary goal can lead to crash and burn. With the Bflo weather we don't get many of the 'free tai chi in the park' kind of groups - though it would be nice.

There is locally a school with a relatively long Karate legacy. For a very long time, instruction was out of a public building with low overhead costs and lots of community support and a good reputation. Well, when the progam went to a straight commercial studio, all the 'spreading the art talk' changed from being a good representative your art and yourself (which got A LOT of students BTW to come and it was a good group of people) to being a good hook who doesn't show his friends any of this stuff, but brings them to the instructor so he can make them paying customers....

once that new tone was established a lot of the old timers left, the student based dwindled and he had to move the program to a smaller commercial location because of the lower student attendance.

I think there is a good way and a bad way to 'spread the art'. Good students, good instruction and good art will get the job done in the tortoise fashion of slow and steady more effectively than the other options.

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Teaching to spread the art.

I feel as soon as you teach someone you begin to spread an art. Your intent may have been to teach them how to defend themselves, but you have now brought someone new into the system. I think that spreading the art should be part of what we do in the arts, but not the only focus.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That dovetails nicely with another thread somewhere where I made a point regarding promotion of students. My whole point there was that in order for the art to "spread" with any amount of integrity, Of utmost importance is the honest promotion of students to instuctor status. The feeling I get is that this isn't much of a problem in Modern Arnis, but in all honesty, I can't claim to know many of the players, so I'm speculating.

This also dovetails nicely with the thread on teaching the best or anybody willing to learn. My personal feeling is that nobody should get to teach, unless they are a real jewel in your group. So extra care need be taken with "the best", in the context of the future "spreading of the art".

S

StraightRazor

Mr. Martin

To be straight up with you, my only training in FMA is from a college buddy of mine who taught me when I was in school @NYU. I have "rank" in TKD and Kenpo. Havent gotten back into anything since Ive come back. Been lurking here since I see a lot of people here list WNY as their location. Lots of "bad blood" I see from searching the posting history of some of you guys, didnt know it was like that in FMA.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
StraightRazor said:
Mr. Martin

To be straight up with you, my only training in FMA is from a college buddy of mine who taught me when I was in school @NYU. I have "rank" in TKD and Kenpo. Havent gotten back into anything since Ive come back. Been lurking here since I see a lot of people here list WNY as their location. Lots of "bad blood" I see from searching the posting history of some of you guys, didnt know it was like that in FMA.
Okay, then who was your NYU instructor/system if you need/want a training group there are many here who would welcome a good training partner. Knowing your previous training might help find the best fit/group.

It's too bad that you didn't list the TKD/Kenpo Rank under that section of the profile. Lot's of those schools around here too. What was your NYU major?

S

StraightRazor

My "instructor" was really just a buddy (Joe Galioto) with some Mod Arnis training, i really liked the one size fits all approach so I figured Id see what was available when I got back home and kinda stumbled on this site. Know the basic block -n- counters, and the striking patterns.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
StraightRazor - on behalf of the MT Admin/Mod team ... WELCOME!

The problem is that the service product of Martial arts is more than selling a system, it is selling a presentor of that product as well. There is an element of the 'cult of personallity' in how a school/system/art is sold. So are we salesmen first and martial artists second? Are we evangelists or are we instructors? Promotion, sales, public relations are all necessary but are they the largest part of your 'doing business time'? We are not trained in 'advertising/marketing arts', but martial artists. Do that well, understand the market and do your best to present an honest, quality product (welcome/safe training environment and have a clear mission/goal/philosophy) and the people who fit the 'corporate culture' that you establish will be attracted by advertising, word of mouth and personal investigation.

I fear that 'spreading the art' as a primary goal has been too often used as a not so thinly veiled market goal of creating lots of well paying students instead of well instructed students.
This is so true in a lot of "commercial schools." What I find really disturbing is that now you have several generations of instructors, who were products of their own instructors and do not even know what they are missing.

-Michael

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
StraightRazor said:
Mr. Martin
Lots of "bad blood" I see from searching the posting history of some of you guys, didnt know it was like that in FMA.

Actually its been pretty quite lately. Personally, I really respect people on this board and thier opinions even if i don't agree with all of them. Alot of good talk here, don't let the "bad blood" keep you away. Most people have moved on or are no longer here. There might still be some tension, but mostly its water under the bridge.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here's that long, Paul Janulis post that ya'll been lookin for! ;)

Chapter I: A strong acquisition plan

I think the key to balancing the "spreading of the art" with "quality control," and getting your art out there, while curbing as best you can all the political problems that go with the territory is having a good acquisition plan. Now, when I say acquisition, I mean purely "growth" in quality students, not financial growth, or "stealing" of others students, or anything else (although some of that may go with the territory). I don't say "business plan" because if your thinking of martial arts as only a business for yourself, then you'll fail. Martial Arts can be a business, but for you to succeed in achieving other goals that are not monetary by nature, you need to think of it as more then that.

This plan involves mapping out where you want to be over the next year. Over the next 5. Over the next 10. Then, constantly reviewing these goals, and making sure that your art is moving in a forward direction.

Chapter II: Positive mental attitude and motivation.

This is actually the most important thing. Without a positive mental attitude and motivation, you'll be destined to failure. If your goal is unselfish, unegotistical, altruistic, and constructive, then you will be able to succeed. People will want to see what you have to offer. People will like you. People will be happy to learn your art. You'll attract enough positive people who will be there for you to help you take your art to the next level(s), and you'll be a success.

If your motivation is based off negativity, selfishness, and ego, then your actions will show. The actions of your members, and the kinds of people you attract will show. Your behavior will be destructive rather then constructive, and you won't be successful. You may develop a core group of negative A-holes, but the rest of the real world will want nothing to do with you.

Now, there are a lot of ways that negative and positive behavior and attitudes can manifest themselves; and this can be deceptive. It goes well beyond "this instructor smiles alot, and this other one used a curse-word, so the smiling instructor must be the positive guy!" Wrong. Some people can smile to your face, yet be stabbing you in the back or stringing you along to fit their agenda. Actions speak louder then words, appearances, and personas. One thing that tends to follow "negative" behavior is the "martial-cult" like mentality. The cult-of-personality or cult-of-art behavior is recognizable by lack of ownership for students. Too many people propigate the martial myth that "we all must follow master so-and-so until he dies, but on his death bed in a dramatic and magical chain of events, master-so-and-so will crown the next emporer of the art, a new person to be subserviant too." This is pure mytholigy; it is rare that the torch is dramatically passed from one master to one other master in charge. Yet, while master-so-and-so is worshipped, black-belt clubs and in-crowds develop, and everyone else fights to get crumbs from the cookies that the master and the elite black-belt club members feed back and forth to each other. There is no ownership in a martial-cult; only a few will be allowed to be successful and happy in an environment like this one, because only so few can be a part of the elite masters club. And...the few that are in the club are there on false pretenses of what can the master use you for, or on how well were you able to politic your way to the top of the nekid pyramid. Skill and teaching ability are lower prorities for these groups.

There are a lot of warning signs to martial-cults and negative behavior that would be the topic for another thread. The thing is, it is my belief that negative behavior and "martial-cults" are a dying breed. We are far more sophisticated now then ever before. Most of us have debunked the martial myths of the 70's and 80's that propigated cultish behaviors. The are a small amount of people out there who are doing positive work in the martial arts, propigating ownership and value, yet this small group is on the rise. People will see the difference between the positive and the negative, and the negative will be on the decline. Cults will always exist, but they don't have to exist on the large scale that they do in martial arts today.

I purposely was vague in my description of "martial-cult behavior" because I don't want to finger point to any art, Modern Arnis organization or independent in existance today. I don't need too. Time will either expose you or promote you. If your out there doing positive things, then you'll grow and be successful. That's the bottom line. And everyone has the chance to do that; there is no Modern Arnis school on every corner - in other words, there is enough Modern Arnis to go around. I think the same can be said for all FMA's.

Chapter III: Good quality product

If you are good, and your product is good, you will do nothing but grow. The better you are, and the better your art (product) is, the more people will value your product, and the higher demand you'll be. Sure, this doesn't happend overnight, as your product needs the time to get exposure. However, look at Remy Presas. It took time, but he was able to spread his art purely though ambition and a good quality product. He was very disorganized and all over the place; a marketing genius, but not a great business man, IMHO. Yet, his "business" and art thrived because his product was so good.

If you have a year of training and go out to promote your art, your product won't be as strong. Experience and skill and mentality and presentation and value will make your product that you have to offer worth while.

This ties in with the money aspect of the arts. People should have the right to make money, and in fact SHOULD be allowed to make a decent living through martial arts. The question is, how is this being done? If it is done through cult-like behavior, lying, and cheating (all things prevelent in the martial-bussiness world), then this is not good for the arts. If your making money because your product is in high demand, because it is a good quality product, then this is good for your livelyhood, and for the art itself.

Chapter IV: Tenacity

Making your art successful is not a sprint, it's a marathon (kind of like reading my long posts... :rolleyes: ). Again, it is worth being said again that time will expose or promote you. The man with the positive mental attitude, great acquisition plan, and quality product could be the man with the negative attitudes and piss-poor quality product next year. The vise-versa is true. You could start off with no plan, a Sh**ty product and attitude, and turn it around to be positive. Unlike what martial myths would like you to believe, no one person is the "heir" to a good quality martial art, and no one is "destined" to put out a quality product. You have to keep a tight acquisition plan, a positive mental attitude and action, and you have to maintain and continually improve your product over the long haul. There will be times when you'll faulter. But your ability to pick yourself up and keep at it is what will make you and your art a success. Tenacity is what seperates true leaders from false prophets and bandwagon teachers.

The final chapter: conclusions

So, spreading the art is a good thing if done appropriately, I believe. The key to doing it well is a positive motivation, actions, and attitude, a strong acquisition plan, and a good quality product, and the tenacity to maintain all of these, and see it through. With these things in place, you can be very successful in spreading the art without compromising it.

That is my belief, anyways, for what its worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions