Spreading the art?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
bart said:
My teacher, Ramon Rubia, once mentioned something that a GM once told him:

"To be a master you have to contribute to the art. You have to innovate or preserve, but be active in its development so that it stays 'alive'."

Reminds me of a story someone told me recently:

A film crew was in a remote town in the Philippines documenting a festival of some kind. During the festival, an old man came out of his house with an espada y daga and began running through a form in front of the camera crew. It was obvious that the old man possessed an extremely honed skill. When they asked the townsfolk about him, no one knew that he practiced martial arts. The old man said that when he saw the cameras he thought they might like to see a demonstration.

I guess that he "preserved" for a long time, and then "innovated" when the time was right.

One of Auden's poems is about someone who

....lived at home;
Did little jobs about the house with skill
And nothing else; could whistle; would sit still
Or potter round the garden...

Substitute "practice martial arts" for any of the phrases above and you have a pretty good paradigm for the Daoist (as opposed to Confucist) model
of "spreading the art."

Best,

Steve Lamade

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DoxN4cer said:
BTW... the sky blue. Got a problem with that statement as well?

TK

Tim,

I do have a problme with the above Blue Sky Statment. I have nto seen enough of them to keep my top down or ride my motorcycle.

So, if you have anything to do with it being a blue sky, you are missing ssouth east Michigan. Send some of the Med Blue Sky this way. ok?

Thanks

J

Joe Eccleston

Tulisan said:
However, with all the good points, you are clearly attacking someone in the process. Why? Who does it help? What does it solve? All it does is make people wanna ignore your good points. I see your good points, and I wanna say "Nice point, Tim K.!" I wanna give you a little positive rep points. However...I can't, because I can't agree with attacking someone in the process.

HaHaHa... I guess we're off to the races again, fellas.

I did have a question about rep points. I finally put something on my "profile". While doing this, I noticed a bunch of red and green boxes as "reputation points". What is this? Who gives these points? and What are they good for? Can I cash them or trade them for a prize later in the future?

p.s.--- oh yeah... and who gave me red ones?!!!!!!!!

J

Joe Eccleston

As for spreading the art... IMHO, as long as youre teaching, whether instructing 1 student or thousands of students, you're spreading the art. and that in itself is... Commendable.:asian:

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Joe Eccleston said:
HaHaHa... I guess we're off to the races again, fellas.

I did have a question about rep points. I finally put something on my "profile". While doing this, I noticed a bunch of red and green boxes as "reputation points". What is this? Who gives these points? and What are they good for? Can I cash them or trade them for a prize later in the future?

p.s.--- oh yeah... and who gave me red ones?!!!!!!!!
Rep points are explained in detail here : http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13010

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hock Hochem (sp?) has been criticised for 'repackaging' already existing FMA knife arts in his western/LEO formula to create his Knife Congress. I am not one of those because he is a vet. of both LEO and MA/FMA so he has every right to carry on as he sees fit.

Dubious military background....TONS of examples of that in the "Combatives" realm and I believe Paul J. used an example of a questionable combatives artist in a past post.

There are about a MILLIONS Mano y Something named arts in FMA.

Tim also worked in the auto parts resale industry, so what.

Tim K could just as readily said "factory worker" or "check out girl" or "Slinging burgers".....

Dr. Gyi has rep. problems in his military background claims, but those are his problem.

BTW I AM commenting in defense of Tim K AND based on the FACT that no one except Paul J., Arnis Princess, Tim H (though referencially to RP and "Bad Apples") and Straight razor are the only ones bringing up the feuding and bad blood commentary. Tom G. posted a comment on the topic, I posted a comment on the topic and now Tim K has posted and we have all been accused. I guess if it is going to whip up, let he who wishes to "throw down" and begin the frivality create the 'arena'... I mean thread...

I personally will not be attending. Topical discussion creates enough heartburn, I don't need the other. Besides I am married now and my wife won't let me play :)

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DoxN4cer said:
Do you teach martial arts because it's the only marketable skill you have and you got tired of washing dishes at the pizza joint?

Actually I was one of the managers at Pizza Hut then later at Advance Auto Parts. I learned a lot about customer service while working at both companies and it has helped me tremendously in the Martial Arts industry.

DoxN4cer said:
Do you teach martial arts because it's the only marketable skill you have and you got tired of washing dishes at the pizza joint?

I have found the same true about some people who have joined the military.

Respectfully,

TJH :asian:

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes....attack PJ...how dare he call the grass green. And please...nobody mention that there is a pink polka-dotted elephant in the room. :rolleyes:

Rich Curren:It seemed to me like people were focusing on the good points.

Respectfully,

Rich Curren

Oh Really? Here was the first post after Tim K.'s post:

I don't think I've seen so many vailed (or not so vailed) shots taken in one post.

Now, that was posted by someone who is not a Hartman supporter, WMAA member, or even a Modern Arnis player. When I first read Tim K.'s post, I thought, "Well, O.K., he's taking shots at Hartman again." Then I re-read and thought for a second, "Well, maybe he didn't mean it like that." Then I thought and thought, and figured, "No way. There are too many similarities there. That had to be an attack. Well, maybe nobody will notice, or only a few will notice and it won't matter. Maybe people will focus on the good points, and maybe they won't notice any of the attacks that I noticed. Well, when I saw that post after Kashino's by someone who doesn't even do Modern Arnis, then I knew that there would be a fat chance of that. Dare I say, everybody noticed the pink elephant.

Now, again to clarify, I wasn't rescueing anyone. I was only wondering why Tim K. would cheapen all the good things he had to say with the negative shots.

Perhaps I should have asked about this privately to avoid a "political" dispute. Again, my mistake.

Paul M.: no one except Paul J., Arnis Princess, Tim H (though referencially to RP and "Bad Apples") and Straight razor are the only ones bringing up the feuding and bad blood commentary.

I am politely asking that you don't lump me in a grouping where I don't belong. I have been avoiding disputes and "bad blood" discussions here of late. In fact, I started this thread because I felt that Tom G. had brought up a topic that deserved discussion, so we can't even point the finger at me for siding in a political or "bad blood" dispute.

Once again (for like the 5th time) I was just wondering why Tim K. would cheapen his good points with blatent attacks (he could have chosen to attack anyone, and I would have asked the same question, btw); a question that I probably should have asked PM.

Final Thoughts:

Lets say I give Tim K. the benefit of the doubt; the pink elephant isn't really a pink elephant at all. Tim Kashino was just speaking generally, and I took it wrong. Well, I acknowledge that I may have been off base, and I apoligize (again, also for like the 3rd of 4th time) for it if I was. So maybe this was just a case of it looking like a pink elephant, walking and talking like a pink elephant, but heck, it wasn't a pink elephant at all. No problem.

Well, I am not going to tell people how to act. Instead, I'll speak in a parable so you can all deify me when I am long dead, and quote me in fortune cookies.

When I was a young lad in pre-school, I was a little hyper and destructive at times (I know I know, hard to believe, but you'll just have to trust me ;) ). At recess I was throwing rocks at the side of the building. A girl came around the corner, and I beaned her in the head on accident. She was O.K., luckily, but naturally she cried and told the teacher. The teacher had me and her aside, and the teacher said, "Why did you hit her with a rock!" I replied, "I didn't mean to hit her with it!" The Teacher, ever so wisely, said, "Well, say your sorry, and be a little more careful next time so you don't do it again."

For the very simple minded, here is the friggin' point. When you wrong someone, whether you ment too or not, the right thing to do is apoligize, and to be careful that you don't do it again. "I'm sorry" or "I apoligize" are two words that can go a long way.

Now, I am not going to tell you how to act, but I am going to say this: If you too damned arrogent to be able to apoligize for something, then why the f**k should anybody waste their time talking with you?

Well, that's all I have to say on this matter. If any of yea's want to attempt to drag my character through the mud, have a party. I hope that Tim K. and I can continue a discussion via PM; but as far as I am concerned, I am done with this degenerated BS.

Have fun.
:partyon:

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
GUYS!!!!!! When in hell are you going to drop the side subject and get back to the thread topic!!!???

Aren't you tired of this crap yet?!?!
:jedi1:

Exasperatedly Yours,
Dan Anderson, Author of many fine martial arts books and originator of the phrase, "Buy the books!"

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just making a point.....if "StraightRazor" is being "straight" in his posts, something we all should realize is that this stuff is public. I wonder how many people read through this stuff and wonder what the #@!! is going on in the FMA around here.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Speaking as a MOD I must agree with Mr Anderson Please return to the subject matter.

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Agreed. How 'bout a "I Hate Your Guts" forum to be placed right under the "Filipino Martial Arts - General" and "Modern Arnis" forums on Martialtalk.com. That way, when topics like these appear, we could move the threads to the appropriate receptacle...I mean...forum.

Those of us who are interested only in "I Hate your Guts"-type threads will know where to go to look for better understanding of the Filipino martial arts.

Best,

Steve Lamade

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MOD WARNING
Return this thread to the topic. This is a friendly place to disscuss the arts.
Personal attacks are not part of the subject matter and are against the rules.

tshadowchaser
MT MOD

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen,

This thread is closed.

If you decide to all post on topic, then create a new thread to discuss your topics.

Rich Parsons
Martial Talk
Assistant Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.