speed vs power

OP
K

Kope

My Sifu says over and over again:

"To be successfull you need speed, power and correct technique."

Speed is part of power, but so is strength and mass and technique.

Power is part of speed, but so is perception, timing, reflexes, strength and technique.

Correct Technique is part of speed and power.

You can't unravel these three. You can train each individually, but not one stands by itself.

Speed without power and technique gives you a fast guy who may be hard to hit but who can do no damage when he does strike and whose blocks, throws and other moves are ineffective.

Power without speed and technique gives you a brute who can't hit anything that isn't standing still, and even when he does he connects with the wrong target in a way that fails to maximize damage. And worse, who doesn't have the ability to counter anything.

Technique without power and speed gives you someone who can tell you after the fight exactly why they lost.

All three are important. Neglect any one at your own peril.

OP
W

Withered Soul

I think you're comparing things that are very much the same. You might be thinking of the differance between semi-contact trainers who hit fast but tap and some big huge muscle-bound boxer who's slow and sluggish.
As many have said already speed is power. The faster you go, the harder you hit. I think that it's best to train in speed then power. If you can hit them and move away faster then they can then you have more chance at winning.

But I think that you wanted to compare is speed vs. strength.

OP
Z

zen_hydra

While the velocity of an attack does directly correlate to the force of impact, there are other speed factors involved in training to increase ones speed in fighting. The speed of ones footwork (advancing and retreating), the speed of ones reactions, and speed at which one completes the movement of a technique (some techniques require more distance to build speed and inertia). There are obviously techniques that require more movement to execute than others. Usually, the inertia (as well as the effective mass) of the techniques that require more movement, are going to take longer from start to finish to execute than a quick, jabbing attack (that usually moves in a direct line to the target).

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by gman
We do work speed drills to help with reaction time and quickness.

Can you describe some of them?

OP
S

SRyuFighter

What was originally said here was would you rather be quicker? Or would you rather be a huge slow powerhouse?

OP
K

Kope

No. What was originally asked was "should we be concentrating on power or speed more? Even if only slightly one way?"

The answer most people are giving is "No!" You should not be emphasizing one over the other in your training unless one is more lacking for you individually than the other.

They are both related and they both are needed.

Moreover, I'll contend that general conditioning, stamina, technique, and a host of other points are equally important as well. . .

OP
S

SRyuFighter

Originally posted by Kope
No. What was originally asked was "should we be concentrating on power or speed more? Even if only slightly one way?"

The answer most people are giving is "No!" You should not be emphasizing one over the other in your training unless one is more lacking for you individually than the other.

They are both related and they both are needed.

Moreover, I'll contend that general conditioning, stamina, technique, and a host of other points are equally important as well. . .
]
My apologies.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Kirk
Can you describe some of them?
There are many things you can do. What I teach is that speed comes in different varities although I don't use these exact terms... There's perception speed (awareness and reaction), there's reflex speed which is the time it takes for you to start the action, and physical speed, which is the physical speed of the punch, kick, block, slip, whatever.

How do I compare it with? Hmmm... A 300m hurdler. The perception speed is when you see a hurdle that's about to fall. Once you pick up on it, you "process" it instantly. Reflex speed is right after you perceive it and need to go do one of the many options you can do to get around the problem. An example would be a hurdler jumps over the entire hurdle that just fell down. The physical speed is the speed of how the person gets around the problem.

Or, just comparing a combination of reflexes/perception/awareness and physical speed, a normal 100m runner. When the gun goes bang, the instant you explode off the block. Physical speed is when you're running.

Some drills:

Awareness and Perception - My very own sucker punch drill... Where you go up and do a cheap attack (kick to groin, punch) stopping just inches. Not a very good drill, but it tests awareness and perception.

Reflex - Certain bag drills. Shout and attack, or go on the whistle, and a lot of the boxing drills where a person throws a combo and you do a cross and they slip it. There are a hundred of exercises you can do, and you aren't limited to just one.

Physical Speed - Plyometrics, speed bag, a lot of hip exercises, etc.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by the_kicking_fiend

Just wondering what people's thoughts were... should we be concentrating on power or speed more? Even if only slightly one way?

your friendly fiend,
D

Speed, targeting and penetration.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

OP
V

vin2k0

i would say both are as important as each other. Concentrate on both equally...

Latest Discussions