Speed and Power In Your Strikes

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not if you aim for their little toe. The left eye, however, or the right eye, trachea, open mouth, right testicle...

It is the same point as hitting sparrows in flight with a BB gun. A matter of practice(and awareness).

You won't be able to do that if the person is moving and attacking you at the same time any more than you'd be able to hit that proverbial sparrow if it was swooping at you. The areas you mention are going to be the best protected by anyone with experience and thus even more difficult to hit.

Practicing to hit someone with three to five solid shots in a combination of kicks and punches, keeping aware of their autonomic reflex reactions and making sure that you can put real power into them is far better than trying to see if you can nail someone 16 times per second in the forehead with your fingertips while they stand there with their hands at their sides. Then if you continually practice this on several differnt people of varying sizes and quickness, you can get a pretty good feel for things. True, it's still only a drill, or "DRILL DRILL DRILL" if you prefer to rant like a child, but one that is going to go a longer way to making you a real fighter.

Speed is important, but it's not the only thing that matters. George Forman's punches looked like they took a week to land sometimes, but when they did, it knocked the opponent to the opposite side of the ring.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In a live situation your opponents doorway patterns, including ranging, will change rapidly. Your opponent will be striking back with high flow patterns as well.
When he is injured, tired etc, tyou will have the opportunity to single out a specific point of injury.
Injure then take out.
:boxing:

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Of course, everything I'm saying goes right out the window when you're dealing with someone with ESP and Remote Viewing capabilities like the "Mind Master" who can obviously tell what you're going to throw before you even know yourself.

http://www.mentaltrainingsecrets.com/

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It seems the physics discussion mostly worked itself out to before I got here. Oh well, next time.

The discussion seems to have moved from the theoretical physics into more practical matters of application, and ‘effective speed.’ I do agree with KenpoDave that speed done properly does not sacrifice mass, and would be 'effective speed,' as opposed to someone just trying to be fast by itself.

Doc LaTourrette brought up a good point in his question though, that there is more than 1 type of ‘speed’ in practical application, some of which have nothing to do with the scientific definition.

It doesn’t matter what velocity you are moving at; if your opponent doesn’t see it until it hits them you were quick as lightning.

Conversely, if you spend time winding up to the other side of the room you could have the fastest fist in the world and you’d still be slow.

Anthony

Yes. Quick vs. Fast would make for an interesting discussion.

Wanderer

White Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Danjo
You won't be able to do that if the person is moving and attacking you at the same time

A lot of people tend to dismiss things out of hand.
I'm not saying that you do, but how do you know that it's not possible? Running a 4 minute mile used to be considered scientifically impossible.

Anthony

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A lot of people tend to dismiss things out of hand.
I'm not saying that you do, but how do you know that it's not possible? Running a 4 minute mile used to be considered scientifically impossible.

Anthony

Experience.

Wanderer

White Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoDave
Yes. Quick vs. Fast would make for an interesting discussion.

It's easy when you get behind your opponent, which is a lot of fun to do in a sparring match, but there are other ways too.

One I noticed as a teenager, when my father had me 'attack' him to see what I was learning. I threw a combo, front snap kick to the groin(pulled of course), following through with a punch.
He kept telling me that I was telegraphing the punch; That I would shift my body a certain way right before throwing my punch every time. No matter what I did, I couldn't find a way to fix what he was talking about.

It took me a while to realize, that he had never seen my kick. The dozen times I pulled my foot an inch from his groin, he never even knew that I threw a kick, because of the angle at which it came up. Unless we actually tilt our head down, we can't see past our cheekbones, and any strike that comes up close to the body is hidden.

Does anyone have a story of another way?

Anthony

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Experience.

So, in your experience, you are not quick enough or fast enough to accurately strike a moving target?

But, are you more accurate now than you used to be?

Do you expect to be more accurate, say, a year from now, than you are now?

Moving targets are certainly more difficult to hit, but by no means impossible.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So, in your experience, you are not quick enough or fast enough to accurately strike a moving target?

But, are you more accurate now than you used to be?

Do you expect to be more accurate, say, a year from now, than you are now?

Moving targets are certainly more difficult to hit, but by no means impossible.

Ummm...try sticking to what I actually said for a change.

You can't pull off 8 hits to vital points in one second against a moving opponent who is fighting you and has his guard up.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Never mind.

Thanks, though, to everyone who participated, especially those of you that addressed my original question. I learned a great deal from this thread, re-examined some things, and sought out the source of some of my information for clarification.

So now it is time to take what I have learned back to the mat.

Latest Discussions