Sparring Drills

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
What are some sparring drills you do in class? (Striking arts)

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
One attacks while other defends alternating attacker

Combination drills

Lots of sparring

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll quote myself from an earlier thread (I didn't bother to edit out the grappling oriented ones, but there are plenty of striking examples to choose from):

Types of sparring I do/have done ...

light, medium, hard contact
no protective gear, MMA gloves, Boxing gloves, shin pads, full armor, whatever seems appropriate for the level of contact and the techniques being used
punching only
punching and kicking only
clinching & knees only
punching, kicking, clinching and knees only
all strikes
grappling, takedowns only
grappling, just looking to enter to a control position for a takedown
ground grappling only, looking for submissions
grappling with takedowns and groundwork
positional ground grappling (ex - starting in mount, bottom person trying to escape, top person trying to submit)
ground grappling - pass or sweep
ground grappling - pass, sweep, or submit
ground grappling - pass, sweep, submit, or stand up
stand up sparring with strikes and takedowns
ground grappling with strikes
stand up sparring with strikes and takedowns, continuing on the ground
stand up and ground sparring with various "dirty tactics" allowed, such as hair pulling, groin attacks, (simulated) eye gouges, etc
situational/environmental setups - fighting in a car, on a couch, etc - grappling only and grappling with strikes
sparring where I try to limit myself to fighting within a given style or structure (i.e. use only Wing Chun, use only the Philly shell, etc)
stick sparring with padded sticks
stick sparring with real sticks and protective gear
knife sparring with training knives
unarmed against knife (standing and on the ground)
one against multiples grappling only
one against multiples strikes included
one against multiple weapons included
multiple against multiples
asymmetric rules (ex - one person can only strike, the other can only grapple; one person is trying to restrain the other who is trying to get away, etc)
various scenario drills aimed at specific situations, for example: to simulate having to recover from a sucker punch, one person stands in the middle of a "crowd" (the rest of the class gathered close), bends over to look at their toes, and spins around 30 times really fast*. During this time, another person is designated at the sucker puncher, puts on boxing gloves, and comes in aggressively shoving and punching once the punchee stops spinning. The defender must either clinch long enough to clear their head (if they can stand) or defend themselves from the ground using open guard long enough to clear their head (if they fall down).

Also a few more I forgot about when I posted this list previously:

Boxing sparring, both partners have their front feet inside a tire so neither can back away out of range.

One partner only defends while the other attacks. Best to do this with the defender stuck in a corner or against a wall so he doesn't just run away the whole time.

Alternating 3 attacks/defenses for 3 attacks/defenses.

Light contact sparring focused only on precision targeting of vulnerable targets. (i.e. - not just the body, but right on the solar plexus, etc)

Only one kind of attack allowed for each partner, i.e. jabs vs jabs, or jabs vs hooks or hooks vs hooks, etc)

Partners move around normally. One partner feeds a specific attack (ex - a jab) repeatedly while the other partner just defends (parry, block, slip, etc). Then at some point the feeder will slip in a different pre-designated attack (ex - a low round kick). When this happens, the defender needs to recognize it and execute a pre-designated counter. This helps with pattern recognition.

Really, the possibilities are endless.

Martial_Kumite

Green Belt
Reaction score
We do:
  • 1-3 step
  • free
  • no to hard contact
  • Situational
  • Chicago style
  • 2-3 vs 1
  • no arms/no legs
  • free for all

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The Subtraction Game.

Two guys sparring. Either the coach or (one of the participants) gets to call out a limb (example - right hand) and one guy (designated) can no longer use that limb to strike (but he can to block or jam). A couple minutes later, a second limb is called out. Now he can't use either of the designated limbs.
What you do is call the limbs the fighter uses best. It forces him to change up his game and better utilize his less talented limb and techniques. What it does for the other fighter is gives him some experience on how and why he may be able to get in if he can somehow neutralize a particular aspect of the other fighter.

It's kind of fun, too.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like to insist with only ONE (power) technique. It makes me work everything else: feints, set-up, distance, timing, applying same technique in different situations, while refining one technique each time... When it starts working with the opponent knowing what is coming... what can he do when he don't know (full arsenal)?

In fact, I change that ONE technique every 3 min or so. If it works all the time it is humiliation. If it fails all the time and the opponent is 'heavy', it is better preventing incidents. :)

Just another idea, up to the ones here or older threads.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What are some sparring drills you do in class? (Striking arts)
For sparring drills, I have:

If I can

1. grab your leading leg,
2. get you in head lock,
3. put my hand on your throat,
4. block all your punches,
5. block all your kicks,
6. block all your kicks and punches,
7. ...

within 30 seconds, I win that round. Otherwise I lose that round.

For training drills, I have:

1. 1 step 3 punches.
2. hook, back fist, uppercut.
3. groin kick, face punch.
4. grab punch, kick punch, punch.
5. side kick, spin back fist.
6. front kick, round house kick, side kick.
7. ...

Last edited:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll quote myself from an earlier thread (I didn't bother to edit out the grappling oriented ones, but there are plenty of striking examples to choose from):

Types of sparring I do/have done ...

light, medium, hard contact
no protective gear, MMA gloves, Boxing gloves, shin pads, full armor, whatever seems appropriate for the level of contact and the techniques being used
punching only
punching and kicking only
clinching & knees only
punching, kicking, clinching and knees only
all strikes
grappling, takedowns only
grappling, just looking to enter to a control position for a takedown
ground grappling only, looking for submissions
grappling with takedowns and groundwork
positional ground grappling (ex - starting in mount, bottom person trying to escape, top person trying to submit)
ground grappling - pass or sweep
ground grappling - pass, sweep, or submit
ground grappling - pass, sweep, submit, or stand up
stand up sparring with strikes and takedowns
ground grappling with strikes
stand up sparring with strikes and takedowns, continuing on the ground
stand up and ground sparring with various "dirty tactics" allowed, such as hair pulling, groin attacks, (simulated) eye gouges, etc
situational/environmental setups - fighting in a car, on a couch, etc - grappling only and grappling with strikes
sparring where I try to limit myself to fighting within a given style or structure (i.e. use only Wing Chun, use only the Philly shell, etc)
stick sparring with padded sticks
stick sparring with real sticks and protective gear
knife sparring with training knives
unarmed against knife (standing and on the ground)
one against multiples grappling only
one against multiples strikes included
one against multiple weapons included
multiple against multiples
asymmetric rules (ex - one person can only strike, the other can only grapple; one person is trying to restrain the other who is trying to get away, etc)
various scenario drills aimed at specific situations, for example: to simulate having to recover from a sucker punch, one person stands in the middle of a "crowd" (the rest of the class gathered close), bends over to look at their toes, and spins around 30 times really fast*. During this time, another person is designated at the sucker puncher, puts on boxing gloves, and comes in aggressively shoving and punching once the punchee stops spinning. The defender must either clinch long enough to clear their head (if they can stand) or defend themselves from the ground using open guard long enough to clear their head (if they fall down).

Also a few more I forgot about when I posted this list previously:

Boxing sparring, both partners have their front feet inside a tire so neither can back away out of range.

One partner only defends while the other attacks. Best to do this with the defender stuck in a corner or against a wall so he doesn't just run away the whole time.

Alternating 3 attacks/defenses for 3 attacks/defenses.

Light contact sparring focused only on precision targeting of vulnerable targets. (i.e. - not just the body, but right on the solar plexus, etc)

Only one kind of attack allowed for each partner, i.e. jabs vs jabs, or jabs vs hooks or hooks vs hooks, etc)

Partners move around normally. One partner feeds a specific attack (ex - a jab) repeatedly while the other partner just defends (parry, block, slip, etc). Then at some point the feeder will slip in a different pre-designated attack (ex - a low round kick). When this happens, the defender needs to recognize it and execute a pre-designated counter. This helps with pattern recognition.

Really, the possibilities are endless.
^^^^^^^ This sums it up rather well. Only thing I'll add is vs multiple persons and in different 'street' situations.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
have people throw wrenches at you.

If you can block/dodge a wrench you can block/dodge a punch.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I won't include others' stuff so as to not be redundant...

- Offense only/defense only (one person always attacks, other only blocks/evades without countering)

- One person only counterattacks (doesn't initiate any attacks), the other initiates all attacks

- One person on one knee (can, can't, or must bring opponent down); can or can't switch knees, but must be on one at all times

- One person on both knees, (can, can't, or must bring opponent down)

- One person sitting on his butt (can, can't, or must bring opponent down)

- One person laying on the ground (can, can't, or must bring opponent down)
- in all of those, one is kneeling, sitting, or laying down and the other is standing

- only spar in a small designated amount of space

I also loved "bull in the ring" type drills...

- A line of attackers facing one defender, attackers get a number or teacher stands out of view and points or calls out a number for a person who'll attack Person attacks until the next attacker is called at random.

- Same as above, only attackers form a circle around the defender. Have the circle stand still or all move around.
- just thought of this now - during this drill, have one attack, then have an attacker's "friend" jump in, then you could even have the defender's "friend" jump in. Add as many as you want. It could turn into a riot if you want it to :) These are the only ones I haven't done.

Note: I'm not a teacher; all of these were from my former and current teachers.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Warm ups:
Sparring footwork practice (slide in and back, switch feet, etc)
Agility ladder type exercises

Then, for beginners:
Basic kicking with gear on (so students can get used to wearing gear and practice striking in the right places)
Footwork + a strike (can do this with gear, holding pads, or just in the air)

For slightly more advanced students:
Dodge a strike
Dodge and counterattack
The opponent moves towards you when you're trying to do your footwork + strike
Opponent moves away when you're trying to do your footwork + strike

Less structured drills:
"Sudden death match" (first strike wins)
Spar using only certain techniques

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Put a guy in the middle and kick his ***. He is supposed to try his best to not get beat up. Alternate people in the circle until everyone is beat up. Contact here is medium to light, never heavy.

This works well because it helps people not be paralyzed with fear and freeze up, something I still do when we do this drill, but I am working on it. More than one opponent can be very intimidating and can make your training fly out the window. We do this every so often and it helps with keeping your head up for multiple people.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As far as interesting drills go. We shark tank guys. Which is a fresh opponent in every minute.

Otherwise just variations on sparring.

I have done tabata rounds which is kind of cool.

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I love this topic. The style I practice involves a great deal of sparring, with many variations of sparring as well. One could say that my martial art is sparring, even though there are also taolu/kata/forms, training drills and other elements. But this is fun because there are so many different sparring methods available. In my style, we don't do point-sparring. We don't keep scores. We don't pull our attacks (except during soft-tissue nerve strikes). A majority of my training involves sensitivity drills, reflex tests and light-contact sparring (wearing shoes w/o protective gear). This involves open-hand Slap Boxing and generalized pushing, pulling, grabbing, trapping and touching or poking, kicking and raking as a means to an end. Heavier strikes with knees, elbows or closed-fists are performed with little to no contact along with fingerjabs. The second most prominent method of sparring I practice is full-contact sparring (with full protective gear). This is more contact-oriented with heavy punches, kicks, elbows, knees, headbutts, forearm strikes and shin strikes with grappling and ground fighting techniques. Right now, these two methods of sparring makeup the whole foundation of my martial art system, along with what I already mentioned. I love sparring. I think it's one of the most important and central practices in martial art systems.

Latest Discussions