Sparring Drills

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love this topic. The style I practice involves a great deal of sparring, with many variations of sparring as well. One could say that my martial art is sparring, even though there are also taolu/kata/forms, training drills and other elements. But this is fun because there are so many different sparring methods available. In my style, we don't do point-sparring. We don't keep scores. We don't pull our attacks (except during soft-tissue nerve strikes). A majority of my training involves sensitivity drills, reflex tests and light-contact sparring (wearing shoes w/o protective gear). This involves open-hand Slap Boxing and generalized pushing, pulling, grabbing, trapping and touching or poking, kicking and raking as a means to an end. Heavier strikes with knees, elbows or closed-fists are performed with little to no contact along with fingerjabs. The second most prominent method of sparring I practice is full-contact sparring (with full protective gear). This is more contact-oriented with heavy punches, kicks, elbows, knees, headbutts, forearm strikes and shin strikes with grappling and ground fighting techniques. Right now, these two methods of sparring makeup the whole foundation of my martial art system, along with what I already mentioned. I love sparring. I think it's one of the most important and central practices in martial art systems.

So let me get this right...all you do in your style is sparring no technical training just put on gloves and fight...that's not martial arts that's just brawling with your friends