Sokeship Council, Grandmaster or NOT????

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not that this post has anything to do with the topic being discussed, but Arnisador's post reminded me to look up the qualifications in our karate style for Renshi, Kyoshi and Hanshi.

Renshi:
- minimum 4. dan karate and 3. dan kobudo
- knows all style's techniques (karate/kobudo)
- mature enough to take the role of teacher in the capacity of assistant teacher (renshi)

Kyoshi:
- minimum 6. dan karate and 5. dan kobudo
- knows thoroughly all the style's techiques and has internalized all fundamental principles of style
- mature enough for the role of teacher (kyoshi). Also mature enough to guide future assistant teachers (renshi)

Hanshi:
- 8. dan karate and kobudo
- has internalized the whole style and is capable of further developing the style
- mature enough for the role of master (hanshi). Also mature enough to guide future teachers (kyoshi)

These are all written in finnish, so I did my best to translate them to english :) Note that in our karate style the belts stop at 8. dan

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
sounds to me like that would require some in-depth study, which is why having 10 different black belts doesnt make you a master.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
I found this comment particularly interesting:

In addition to Hanshi Angel's almost 50 years of Martial Arts experience, the support of the WHFSC, and his unique abilities he provides a safe haven of support and recognition to the members of the National College of Martial Arts. When asked about what he felt qualified him to promote artists from styles other than his own, he retorted with the following question, "Do you think that after fifty years of martial arts experience that I am not able to recognize ability or the lack thereof?"

Kind of an arrogant statement. So by his logic I guess he could go to China and grade all the kung fu practitioners there as well, and then when he is done there shoot over to Okinawa and grade some of the people there as well….then maybe shoot over to Japan and grade some of the sword folks there like Otake sensei……..give me a break :rolleyes:

A teenager can “recognize ability or a lack there of” ........
Sure, you "help" me out- and I'll help you out. Sure cuz it's being done for humanitariam reason

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TimoS, any idea of what percentage of those who meet the dan grade requirements are eventually awarded one of those titles?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
....... which is why having 10 different black belts doesnt make you a master.
Agreed. Having 10 1st dans does not equate to a 10th dan. Of course, being a 1st dan for 40yrs, without learning more, does not make a 10th dan either.

BTW BlackCatBonz-Port Hope is very pretty country-most beautiful sunset in the world.

Miles

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
arnisador said:
TimoS, any idea of what percentage of those who meet the dan grade requirements are eventually awarded one of those titles?

Renshi, I would say eventually everyone. Just during easter time there was an announcement of 3 new 4. dan, but as I remember it, nobody was yet given the Renshi title.

We don't have any (except our teacher and style head, Matsuoi sensei) above 5. dan at the moment, so for other grades it is hard to say. Anyway, as with all other styles, not too many will ever reach the highest grades.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
TimoS said:
Renshi:
- minimum 4. dan karate and 3. dan kobudo

Kyoshi:
- minimum 6. dan karate and 5. dan kobudo

Hanshi:
- 8. dan karate and kobudo

Our requirements are a bit different.

Renshi = 5th & 6th dan

Kyoshi = 7th & 8th dan

Hanshi = 9th & 10 dan

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:

That's totally understandable, but since we don't have 9. and 10. dan at all, we can't have those :)

Although sensei has, jokingly, said that maybe we should award his sensei 10. dan, even if 8. is the highest (getting way off-topic here, but our history is such that at the beginning of this year we split from Shorinji ryu Renshinkan karate)

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
TimoS said:
That's totally understandable, but since we don't have 9. and 10. dan at all, we can't have those :)

Although sensei has, jokingly, said that maybe we should award his sensei 10. dan, even if 8. is the highest (getting way off-topic here, but our history is such that at the beginning of this year we split from Shorinji ryu Renshinkan karate)

But isn't the trend these days to go beyond 10th dan....why not just go full blown "Soke"???? ;)

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
But isn't the trend these days to go beyond 10th dan....why not just go full blown "Soke"???? ;)

I know, but hey, this isn't the USA where everything is big :D (by the way, we're not even using the title soke, except to refer to Isamu Tamotsu. Our headman is Soshi)

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
TimoS said:
I know, but hey, this isn't the USA where everything is big :D (by the way, we're not even using the title soke, except to refer to Isamu Tamotsu. Our headman is Soshi)
You all got to get with the times man......modernize and all that.....don't you guys know that by being a "Soke" you will become god like in the martial arts and nobody will ever be able to question your ability.....I am thinking of becoming one myself.....I mean hell the price is right... a couple of 100 bucks and bang!

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
You all got to get with the times man......modernize and all that.....don't you guys know that by being a "Soke" you will become god like in the martial arts and nobody will ever be able to question your ability.....I am thinking of becoming one myself.....I mean hell the price is right... a couple of 100 bucks and bang!

:lool: Maybe I'll try to convince Matsuoi sensei. I'm sure he'll see the light (and moon is made of cheese) :lool:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:

Renshi = 5th & 6th dan

Kyoshi = 7th & 8th dan

Hanshi = 9th & 10 dan

Same question, then--of those who make the dan requirement, how many would you say get the title?

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
I found this comment particularly interesting:

In addition to Hanshi Angel's almost 50 years of Martial Arts experience, the support of the WHFSC, and his unique abilities he provides a safe haven of support and recognition to the members of the National College of Martial Arts. When asked about what he felt qualified him to promote artists from styles other than his own, he retorted with the following question, "Do you think that after fifty years of martial arts experience that I am not able to recognize ability or the lack thereof?"

Kind of an arrogant statement. So by his logic I guess he could go to China and grade all the kung fu practitioners there as well, and then when he is done there shoot over to Okinawa and grade some of the people there as well….then maybe shoot over to Japan and grade some of the sword folks there like Otake sensei……..give me a break :rolleyes:

A teenager can “recognize ability or a lack there of” ........

I'd like to know where you're getting you're quotes from. When I quote someone or an article, I give the link. Can you do that too?

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
akja said:
I'd like to know where you're getting you're quotes from. When I quote someone or an article, I give the link. Can you do that too?
The first part is from the website
The second is quoting KarazenKenpo- in a different thread

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
arnisador said:
What does Soshi mean?

I can't remember right now for certain, but perhaps those who speak japanese can help out. I'll attach the kanji for soshi

If I remember correctly, it was something like teacher of teachers, but I'm probably wrong here

Attachments

• $CIMG0409.JPG
    $CIMG0409.JPG
    7.1 KB · Views: 271

Latest Discussions