SKK form applications

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
Techcnially, I wasn't disagreeing, just asking questions where your description left out some details...

But if I were to offer something, I would say that the attack sequence you initially proposed (right overhead club/rigth kick) is not realistic becasue the swinging of a club with intent precludes the follow-up kick with the same side foot because of the weight distribution.

I would also offer my opinion that the idea of blocking at the elbow or tricep in order to cause a club disarm is dangerous because, should the hyperextension of the elblow actually happen, he will be releasing that heavy blunt object to continue its travel and that could take it right into your head. That is one of a handful of reasons I think that this is not a technique I would use even if it did mechanically work as you describe (which it may or may not, I am not sure - swinging a rattan stick yes, but try a brick, is the elbow aligned the same?).

David all club techniques assume that the brick, club, etc. goes flying out of the attackers hand on the block. We assume this because if it happens we need to be out of the way of the weapon. I.E. your head is always farther foward and to the left side so the weapon wont land on you head or foot. Any block done from the elbow to the tricep is very likely to make the attacker loose the weapon. We also assume they don't loose the weapon since if they don't we have to control them in some way that keeps them from continuing to attack with the weapon. I like your thought process. Your questioning of the logic of the technique will lead you to all the answers you need. If you don't like one answer keep looking I guarantee eventually you will get an answer that clicks and makes you go wow that makes sense or atleast that has been my experience. Best advice I can give is buy Professor I's videos on SK. They opened my eyes.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kata 2 Application -

Sec 1 - Attack is any type of kick that has a flamingo - Block the knee as opponent attempts to flamingo, as opponent falls forward use rising chicken wrist to chin, front ball kick to solar plexus or other target.

Sec 2 - Spin CW from 12 to 6 with tiger kali blocks. This section is used to learn to block as you spin even if you don't know you have another attacker. When you change directions you always protect yourself.
Double blocking is used to start the block with the hand that will arrive first. Then the side that will be stronger takes over.

Sec 3,4 - Two attackers one from 4:30 and one fron 1:30. You see both attackers and you only have time for 1 hit to the 4:30 attacker so you use a modified DM #7 to hit the 4:30 attacker while spinning to the 1:30 attacker. Sun step back with left inv ridge block to right hand, left spear to neck or throat, sun step in with right shuto to neck. Prior to shuto to neck you can twist opponents neck to allow shuto to do more damage. Start this technique from a very close position. If you are at normal "DM" range the spear may be to far away.

Sec 5 - see Kata 1 and change angle.

Sec 6 - Never had any more application than block/punch on this section.

Sec 7- Back kick/Side kick - Two attackers. Balance drill.

Sec 8 - Attack is left punch - Tiger kali block, Left hand grabs opponents left wrist, since your positioning doesn't allow left foot to step out easily you half moon forward with right foot and right thrust punch to ribs.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
There are two threads I would like to propose after we finish working on form Bunkai. 1st is running application off of hypathetical attacks. Such as use Kata 1 ending off double wrist grab. Then we try to brainstorm and see if we can find a variation that will work off that grab/attack. To me you learn more about a form by forcing yourself to think out of the box then just about anything else. The other is listing out principles and theories in the DMs or Forms. I read someone mention this earlier and I think theories and principles would be a great topic. It beats another thread on where did SK really come from and does USSD charge to much.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have never been a fan of the second sequence in 3 kata...Pivot to the rear, execute right back punch facing 6 o'clock then turn counter clockwise 360 deg lowering hieght zone until you can touch the ground then jump into right scissor kick -

this bunkai was taught to me as two attackers, one in front and one behind throwing simultaneous rt hooking punches - as you spin you go under both punches hit the floor then jump up with scissor kick. I teach students left stepping stool generally 1st as an easy version and give them scissor kick later on.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
Apparently we have completely rmeoved that entire squat/jump/kick section and replaced it with

...step forward left to left HM with downward X-block. Raise hands, fingers spread (tiger claw) raking face outward with both hands, comnig to elbow pos.
Strike to both eyes with both thumbs, then right front ball kick to SP, step foward into right HM after kick.

This sequence of movements is also our empty hand defense combo 14.

I think you mentioned this movement before as DM 14. It sounds like a variation of what is normally DM 24. X block low, Scissor strike to throat, double tiger claws to face or honshu strikes, then double "iron" thumbs to eyes(I don't know the name of this strike. I had it originally as poison thumbs, but Master E showed a version with what are basically side palms with thumbs forward). I have never had a front kick at the end of 24, but everything else seems the same.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kata 3 Application -

Sec 1 - Attack is left punch then right punch - From iron wall guard use double inv ridge blocks against punches opening opponent up, spear to solar plexus then throat, front kick.
Both strikes are going to air targets knocking the wind out of your opponent.

Sec 2 - See kata 1.

Sec 3 - See Previous post. What is the #8 block for? I have never been given an explanation on that.

Sec 4 - 3 Dynamic tension drills - dynamic tension drills. Maybe practicing chambering a bow and arrow?

Sec 5 - triple kicks. Balance drill. 3 attackers.

Sec 6 - attack is right low roundhouse - Step left foot behind right avoiding the kick, left side kick to opponents knee(as they throw the roundhouse),cross out.

Sec 7 - DM 26 - self explanatory

Sec 8 - Attack is left low front kick - #7 block opens them up, then punch the groin.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
certainly not looking to argue with you Marlon, just curious where DM #1 is in Kata 6.

I thought the same when I first saw that comment. Only place I can find it or anything similar is the simulated takedown just prior to the right front kick, could be said to be #6, that comes before #19. Not exactly sure I'm explaining this correctly, but maybne if you go through it, you may see where I think it could be.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There are two threads I would like to propose after we finish working on form Bunkai. 1st is running application off of hypathetical attacks. Such as use Kata 1 ending off double wrist grab. Then we try to brainstorm and see if we can find a variation that will work off that grab/attack. To me you learn more about a form by forcing yourself to think out of the box then just about anything else. The other is listing out principles and theories in the DMs or Forms. I read someone mention this earlier and I think theories and principles would be a great topic. It beats another thread on where did SK really come from and does USSD charge to much.

there is a thread on principles found in the forms already, your input is most welcome. And as for bunkai, i think it would be very benefial for us to go and work things out on a partner and come back and share what we find. Just talking about what we think could be, seems a little less productive to me

Respectfully,
Marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have never been a fan of the second sequence in 3 kata...Pivot to the rear, execute right back punch facing 6 o'clock then turn counter clockwise 360 deg lowering hieght zone until you can touch the ground then jump into right scissor kick -

this sequence in 3 kata i have as a cresent kick to the attackers knee with follow through (hence the spin) and then the kick.. i do not teach to touch the ground.

respectfully,
Marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
certainly not looking to argue with you Marlon, just curious where DM #1 is in Kata 6.

Since when is asking a question or disagreeing considered an agruement?

i see it after #26 and the 2 kicks.

marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I thought the same when I first saw that comment. Only place I can find it or anything similar is the simulated takedown just prior to the right front kick, could be said to be #6, that comes before #19. Not exactly sure I'm explaining this correctly, but maybne if you go through it, you may see where I think it could be.

yes this is where i see #1 in 6 kata there is a ccw turn with this move in the form yet i still see it as #1.
of course i may be wrong.
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How about the Pinans/Pinions, Fist Sets, Statu(r)e. They have plenty of insight to offer.

Statue i think we missed and as for the pinans i believe we left them out as they are not specific to skk.

marlon

OP
RevIV

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Since when is asking a question or disagreeing considered an agruement?

i see it after #26 and the 2 kicks.

marlon

after the 2 kicks and the kneel down punch, the next block is an outward knife hand block to 6 oclock and then the knife hand strikes and take down. This is based on SGM Pesares original #1 combo.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello Marlon, which thread discusses principles of SK forms?

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kata 5 Application -

Sec 1 - Learning to rise and fall with your strikes .

Sec 2 - Attack is wrist grab - Sweep inverted ridge hand block across outer forearm removing opponents grab then spear hand.

Sec 3 - Attack is front instep kick followed by double throat choke - Just like beg of kata 3 you are striking two air targets.

Sec 4 - Attack is right front kick - Side lean away with #7 block then shuffle in and hit ceribelum with back fist.

Sec 5 - Master Taylor had said this technique was back fist side kick followed by trap and back fist then trap and back fist. i never could visualize how to do that.

Sec 6 - You are the attacker so to speak - Flying side blade kick

Sec 7 - I have no application on this move. It would interesting to read the application on Statu(r)e as it will probably be similar.

Sec 8 I have no application on this move.

OP
RevIV

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sec 4 - Attack is right front kick - Side lean away with #7 block then shuffle in and hit ceribelum with back fist.

I had this too but Matt has a much better application. the actual move above does not make much sense when you really break it down, for that attack it would be easier to shuffle away and do a #8 block and never turning your body. Matt does it off of some kindof arm or shoulder/lapel grab, step back draw person down and into your base then rifling them with the strike.

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
On 5 Kata:

Sec 3 I have as a downward push, could be a choke or lapel, as the movement starts with elbows straight out to the sides and the hands at chin height. I've used similar motion to defend a shoot to the legs (the same can be said of the initial move in Swift Tigers)

Sec 7 is a crane stance with a low and high block. This can thwart a variety of attacks, I have several punch techniques that start with these blocks. They work against single, double, or repeat strikes if you keep 'em cycling. After the block we counter attack with a spear to the groin, trap down on their counter strike or grab, then inverted spear to the throat, outward rakes, kick to the SP.

Sec 8 Finish of the last two guys: Against the same opponent as Sec 6, #2 block and strike (just like 1 Kata), cup and saucer trap of the second strike, back kick low to the opponent from Sec 7, final spear to the groin.

On 6 Kata:

Almost all versions I've seen have a crescent - hook kick combination, I was taught and have always done a double sweep. RevIV, maybe you could provide GM Pesare's original intent?

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
after the 2 kicks and the kneel down punch, the next block is an outward knife hand block to 6 oclock and then the knife hand strikes and take down. This is based on SGM Pesares original #1 combo.

thanks Jesse( the daddy). how different is GM Pesare's #1 from the villari version?

Respectfully,
Marlon

Latest Discussions