SKK form applications

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Fight more. Kata less.:btg:
I agree totally. if it were up to me I would probably drop half the kata we have before black, and probably most of the post-black as well... for example the Pinan forms are FULL of applications that we RARELY study, so why are we practicing them???

I might keep pinan 2 and pinan 4 because: 2 is a good beginner form with relevant applications that go well with our combinations, and 4 uses movemnts that echo some of our combinations and features footwork and blocking that also mesh well with the rest of the system. I would probably keep kata 1 and maybe one of the higher ones (I only know 1-3 so far so can't say for sure which would stay or go).

it seems to me the only reason we have 10 forms up to black is to support the business model :/ People seem to prefer learning something new over perfecting something they already know. Rent must be paid, and in a small market like Omaha we have to cater somewhat to our customers' desires.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
"Invincible Wall"
Our version of being backed up against a wall. There are a few sections that I would like to get others opinions on. A simple one and one that might not be easily told.
1). towards end turning left after Left front kick/side kick combo.
my next move is,, L. inward palm block-R leopard paw throat, right rooster stance (R. crane, but instep of foot goes behind L. knee) I do that all simo. and exexute it as a block for a R. punch, strike neck and knee groin at same time.

2). Back up to the crazy hand movements after right driving front punch. sequence I have (get ready to not understand if you have never been taught this form) downward open hand X block, R. outward chx wrist, R. inward palm, R. downward palm, L. back punch, L. over R. trap, R. chx wrist up, R. over L trap, L. Downward hamer onto R. wrist, R. chx wrist in front to chin simo L hammer to side groin area. -------- What the heck is going on in this one? was told numerous times but none obviously stuck because i still do not know.

(marlon and matt -- do not tell me we are working on combo #6 and #7 lefty in the first question for the double kick.. hehehe)
"Invincible Wall"
Our version of being backed up against a wall. There are a few sections that I would like to get others opinions on. A simple one and one that might not be easily told.
1). towards end turning left after Left front kick/side kick combo.
my next move is,, L. inward palm block-R leopard paw throat, right rooster stance (R. crane, but instep of foot goes behind L. knee) I do that all simo. and exexute it as a block for a R. punch, strike neck and knee groin at same time.

2). Back up to the crazy hand movements after right driving front punch. sequence I have (get ready to not understand if you have never been taught this form) downward open hand X block, R. outward chx wrist, R. inward palm, R. downward palm, L. back punch, L. over R. trap, R. chx wrist up, R. over L trap, L. Downward hamer onto R. wrist, R. chx wrist in front to chin simo L hammer to side groin area. -------- What the heck is going on in this one? was told numerous times but none obviously stuck because i still do not know.

Hey!....Thanks for taking the time to talk the other day!!! Totally appreciate it…
Here’s my take:

1.)Same except my block & paw are inside the right arm attacking strike (r/palm, l/strike)…..

2) My downward cross is smothering palms…r: chicken wrist ( also called ox jaw in the past…????)cross palm block, downward palm edge (hand in a vertical sword fashion), l backfist/Rican strike, l/trapping hammer fist to the top of the r/hand, r/ridge hand strike to the face, r/ trapping palm again, l/ swinging or circular downward hammer to other hand again trapping another strike, swap the feet into a r/forward foot stance; r/rising chicken wrist to their face w/ simultaneous left hammer to the forward/starting position attacker….

I did have it explained one time what each block was doing, the concept was single hand blocking at rapid speed ( kind of Plum tree) mingled with a couple of strikes….

OP
RevIV

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
"Invincible Wall"
2) My downward cross is smothering palms…r: chicken wrist ( also called ox jaw in the past…????)cross palm block, downward palm edge (hand in a vertical sword fashion), l backfist/Rican strike, l/trapping hammer fist to the top of the r/hand, r/ridge hand strike to the face, r/ trapping palm again, l/ swinging or circular downward hammer to other hand again trapping another strike, swap the feet into a r/forward foot stance; r/rising chicken wrist to their face w/ simultaneous left hammer to the forward/starting position attacker….

I did have it explained one time what each block was doing, the concept was single hand blocking at rapid speed ( kind of Plum tree) mingled with a couple of strikes….

Yeah, the explanation given to me was as vague as it was given to you. We have it almost identical,, how could it be an Ox jaw thats not in our system, right MARLON? kidding aside. Thank you for stopping into the dojo, were you able to watch the dvd i gave you? hope all is well and cant wait for you to come in and have fun with my advanced group.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Great dvd!!! Need multple viewing to appreciate everything on it..... Thank you for sharing....
I would enjoy a Monday night....I'll talk off-line to set something up......
jeff,

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, the explanation given to me was as vague as it was given to you. We have it almost identical,, how could it be an Ox jaw thats not in our system, right MARLON? kidding aside. Thank you for stopping into the dojo, were you able to watch the dvd i gave you? hope all is well and cant wait for you to come in and have fun with my advanced group.

Humbley, i have not attain the ox level of kempo yet!!! :)

Marlon

Latest Discussions