Situations, What would YOU do?!

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here are a number of situations, how would you react? If you would react at all? Feel free to make up your own and continue the thread. Condsider what skills you would use if you were going to interveen at all:

1) Your in a pub sitting at a table. Through the course of the evening you have noticed a heavily built man being quite abusive towards what seems to be his girlfriend, she seems frightened of him. Later in the evening he becomes louder and more abusive, people are avoiding him then he starts on his girlfriend shouting in her face and then raises his fist threatening to hit her. Its obvious that nobody else is going to interveen and the landlord is egnoring the situation. The situation then gets worst, he pushes his girlfriend against the wall and raises his fist again! What do you do?

2) Your walking home quite late one night, and you notice a couple of kids playing up across the street, you stay to one side of the street but then one of the kids around 16 years old breaks away from the group and struts threateningly towards you yelling "Come on then mate, you want some", you are wearing quite a heavy bag across your back (school bag) and you have roughly three seconds to react? What do you do?

3) By some chance (taking into consideration some circumstances) you are back against a wall and three guys roughly your height are advancing menacingly on you, one has a knife and they are not going to let you go without a fight, the closet one has the knife and is roughly three meters away, what do you do? You are also wearing a quite heavy school type back across your back?

You dont have to answer all of them! Just answer those in which you wish you could react to!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
Here are a number of situations, how would you react? If you would react at all? Feel free to make up your own and continue the thread. Condsider what skills you would use if you were going to interveen at all:

1) Your in a pub sitting at a table. Through the course of the evening you have noticed a heavily built man being quite abusive towards what seems to be his girlfriend, she seems frightened of him. Later in the evening he becomes louder and more abusive, people are avoiding him then he starts on his girlfriend shouting in her face and then raises his fist threatening to hit her. Its obvious that nobody else is going to interveen and the landlord is egnoring the situation. The situation then gets worst, he pushes his girlfriend against the wall and raises his fist again! What do you do?

Call the Police. Although most people would say that its best not to get involved at all, but once you make that call, you are involved. When I'm speaking of involved, I'm speaking of physically getting involved. Getting a detailed description of whats happening to provide to the police, rather than getting involved in the confrontation is the best choice IMO. You see many times when a LEO goes to make an arrest in a domestic, and what happens??? The very same woman who got beat, now turns on the cops!!! Now instead of facing one person, you have 2 to deal with.

2) Your walking home quite late one night, and you notice a couple of kids playing up across the street, you stay to one side of the street but then one of the kids around 16 years old breaks away from the group and struts threateningly towards you yelling "Come on then mate, you want some", you are wearing quite a heavy bag across your back (school bag) and you have roughly three seconds to react? What do you do?

Keep walking, but continue to be aware of whats around you. Is the person now physically getting 'in your face'? If thats the case, and you feel a strike is coming, react properly. Taking the bag off your back would be another good thing to do. A non-lethal weapon that you have at your disposal.

3) By some chance (taking into consideration some circumstances) you are back against a wall and three guys roughly your height are advancing menacingly on you, one has a knife and they are not going to let you go without a fight, the closet one has the knife and is roughly three meters away, what do you do? You are also wearing a quite heavy school type back across your back?

Why did you get your back against the wall in the first place??? That was the first mistake. Again, the bag would come off my back to possibly use against the knife weidling attacker. Attempt to deal with the knife attacker first. In a mult. attacker situation, its best to fight one, and use him as a shield against the others. The mental effect on his friends, when they see you taking control of that one person, could easily stop them and make them think twice before attacking you.

Mike

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
1) Does the pub have any security? If so, go get a bouncer. Otherwise, nothing. Ever watch cops? Ever see how the LEO's get called in for a "domestic dispute", only to be screamed at/ushered out by the same woman who called because they don't want their husband/boyfriend in trouble? Battered Wife Syndrome is a real thing, and it's scary. I speak from experience here, as a very good friend of mine was/is beaten by her husband, but made me swear to never hurt him (which I to this day do not understand). It's not your fight. Now if he was screaming at MY girlfriend/wife and raising a fist, that's another story.

Is this well lit? Are there witnesses around? Are the other youngsters giving chase to the 16year old, or letting that one go on his own? 9 times out of 10, I would just smile, say "no thanks", and keep walking. Just make sure to keep those kids in the corner of your eye, in case one decides to whip out a gun and start taking pot shots for some reason. :idunno:

Backed against a wall, eh? How long is the wall (a.k.a. am I at a corner I can duck around)? Where is this happening? On the street? In a Bar? If given no other choice, I'd probably whip the bag off my shoulder and into the face of the knife wielder, shin-kick then punch the throat or solarplexus of the guy to the right to make a hole, and get the hell outta there, putting as many obstacles between me and the attackers as possible. If for some reason, they're giving chase, head for a well lit, frequented area and make as much noise as possible. At the very least, the police will be called for a disturbance.

Hope this answers your question! :asian:

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In #1, think twice before getting involved, you don't know the background. #2 and #3 you've got to be resolute. Thugs want victims not fights. So give em warning that you will fight and aren't just a target and then fight like hell if they continue to pressure you. Hopefully you've trained for this. Drop your backpack, use it maybe as a shield in #3 if practical. Knife is a bad scene though. Go for the knife guy first, obviously and then good luck! #3 maybe say stop or I'll shoot whether youve got a gun or not.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
lonecoyote said:
#3 maybe say stop or I'll shoot whether youve got a gun or not.

That would probably be the last thing I would do for the simple fact you don't know if the other 2 guys are strapped. What happens when you say that, and they whip out a pair of hand cannons and up the stakes?

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1) Whip out the trusty cell phone and call the cops. Follow instructions of the dispatcher, then leave and either wait for them to leave (to get plate numbers and vehicle discription) or go home.

2) Ignore, with mind and hands at the ready. If he enters my pesonal space, then utilize patented Nike technique and run like the wind.

3) Without trying to sound like a broken record, I don't go down dark alleys, hell, I don't even go down alleys at all. Hit the 911 auto dialer on my phone and continuously sing, very loudly, the location I am at and a warning stating I have called 911. Hands on knife and keys (or .357 if handy). If a guy is three meters away with a knife and I have no retreat, I'm taking the fight to him, because I want him, as a threat, neutralized before his buddies have time to join in. When all else fails, "poke'im in the eye, kick'im in the nootz, punch'im in the throat".

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OUMoose said:
That would probably be the last thing I would do for the simple fact you don't know if the other 2 guys are strapped. What happens when you say that, and they whip out a pair of hand cannons and up the stakes?

Shoot first. Especially if you have already drawn.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Aye, but I was referring to the comment of bluffing...

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You're right OUmoose. I was just trying to think of a way out of a baaad situation (knife). I'm not real sure running would be a good idea either though. If there are three guys they could catch an angle on you and run you down, unless you're Barry Sanders. Besides, running identifies you as prey. Like if you're faced with a mean dog, the last thing you should do is turn around and run, because then their instinct kicks in and you've id'ed yourself as prey.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
Call 911, try to get plates if they leave. Battered woman syndrome isn't an excuse to get out of doing your civic duty.

Corporal Hicks said:
Not that I would ever walk home late at night...but...Keep walking with one hand on the backpack strap (I only sling one strap over one shoulder for quick removal) and one hand (closest to him) out and available.

Corporal Hicks said:
Again...I don't walk down alleys, even in the day, nor do I walk that close to walls. I would do as others here have suggested, use the backpack against the knife guy...that is if I didn't pull mine out to compare ("...that's not a knife....THIS is a knife!...) first. Then if the other guys are strapped, I'll tell them to go ahead and shoot, I've got AIDS and don't have much to live for anyway (yeah, right....)...no, I'd ask them what they want....if it's money, s**t they can have it, car keys, here, take them. If it's me they want, I'd do everything I could to see to it that they will know I was there...and so will the ER tech.

Go down kickin' and screamin'...otherwise, what's the point?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1) Call the cops on my cell. Maybe distract him afterworlds with a "Hey man, you look like you could use another drink..." in a friendly manner, but from across the bar, where its hard(er) for him to "get to me"... to distract him from swinging at her.

2) Stare him down, and confidently and nonchalantly let him know, its his funeral.

3) Use the bag as an aid to take out the knife... work the situation so "they" are to the wall, and I am to the mouth of the alley... and run like heck. I don't wanna fight three guys all by myself if i can avoid it.

1)Call local law enforcement, and advise him that the call has been placed. Try to separate her from him untill officers arrive. If the person continues, or escalates the situation have someone else place the call and distract him verbally to give her a chance to move out of the way. Then face him and try to calm him down until an officer arrives. However if he swings, defend yourself.

2)I would drop the bag and go to a defensive stance and try to keep him at bay. If that didnt work then give them a good shot. I know he may only be 16 but it is the young and the elderly that are the most dangerous to deal with.

3)I believe i would try to hit the person with the knife with the bag. They have already escalated to a deadly situation when they pulled the knife. So after hitting him with the bag, one of his friends will probably be closer at that point. I believe that i would try to drop the closest one at that point. If it is that desperate i belive i would try to completely disable him. Maybe try a throat shot or trying to break an arm or leg. Them repeat until you have an avenue of escape.

These are just options that may or may not be used in these or other situations. There will never be a situation that can be wrote down on paper that will happen exactly that way in life.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:

Wouldn't do anything, not yet. Threatening with a fist isn't enough. If the girlfriend goes to the bathroom though I would talk to her to take a cab.

(2) You're walking home quite late one night, and you notice a couple of kids playing up across the street, you stay to one side of the street but then one of the kids around 16 years old breaks away from the group and struts threateningly towards you yelling "Come on then mate, you want some", you are wearing quite a heavy bag across your back (school bag) and you have roughly three seconds to react? What do you do?

I'd walk away, lst option. If he made a move, I would defend myself with equal force, for a 16 yr. old - a charley horse to his upper thigh. If there is a knife, I would sweep him down and disarm him. The bag could be slung at him or others to run. Standing your ground and fighting isn't a great option since you might get the whole group down on you.

(3) By some chance (taking into consideration some circumstances) you are back against a wall and three guys roughly your height are advancing menacingly on you, one has a knife and they are not going to let you go without a fight, the closet one has the knife and is roughly three meters away, what do you do? You are also wearing a quite heavy school type back across your back?

I put down my pack, and draw my gun. Sorry, not good odds with 3/2 knives against a woman and nowhere to run. Slinging the pack at one and pepper spray would help but that leaves 2, possibly both with knives. Crescent kick closest one hard on the wrist to disarm, kick to the groin and immediately sweep the other. Then run.

Good thread idea. Now I will read the others ideas!

O

OC Kid

1) I would take out my cell phone and dial 911
2) I would take out my cell phone and dial 911
3) I would take out my cell phone and dial 911

let the police deal with these guys.

J

jeffkyle

I would have to say pretty much the sum of what everyone else has said. Not much differences in the responses. :asian:
Very good responses!

U

Uechi Rooster

Corporal Hicks said:

You dont have to answer all of them! Just answer those in which you wish you could react to!
I don't know where you're posting from since you use the terms "mate" and meters but in this situation I would fake going for my wallet "Take it easy fellas here I'll give you my cash" produce my pistol and Mozambique the guy with the knife. In America lots of solid citizens carry guns legally. Empty hands vs. knife=death. Since there are three of them and they are armed there is a disparity of force issue (3 vs. 1) and a lethal force issue (knife). You are well within your rights to defend yourself with lethal force.

3 meters in well within the 21 feet a person can cover in one second, so I'd shoot to kill this guy with extreme prejudice. What happens to his buddies next is up to them.

FYI Mozambique is a shooting term stemming from the Mozambique drill where you fire two rounds into a bad guys chest and one into his head rapidly.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Like everyone else has said, call the police. If he starts hitting her or taking her out of the bar to do God knows what, bring my beer with me, and try to delay him until the police come. Try to talk things out in a non-threatening way. If he grabs your throat, pulls out a weapon, or it looks like there is about to be a bar fight with you being "it", then at least you got a instant-made cutting device. (Your beer bottle)

2) You're walking home quite late one night, and you notice a couple of kids playing up across the street, you stay to one side of the street but then one of the kids around 16 years old breaks away from the group and struts threateningly towards you yelling "Come on then mate, you want some", you are wearing quite a heavy bag across your back (school bag) and you have roughly three seconds to react? What do you do?
Been in this situations about 5 times in high school. Come on with comments like "you want to die?", "I am going to kick your ***", "you want some?" What always worked for me was to stop, stand up tall, look them in the eye, and either remain silent or simply tell them "no". Don't do anything. He is probably looking for one of two things. A victim, which you showed him you are not by your body posture, eye contact, steady demenor, etc., or he is looking for a reason to get into a fight. By remaining silent or simply replying "no" to his answer, you are not provoking him, yet you are also giving him an out for his pride and ego. Worked for me 5 times, but then again, these were just high school punks. If he presses the issue, drop the bag and do what is required.

Probably look behind him and shout, "Over here!! Help!!" Hopfully this will give me a split second distraction as I suddenly rush him to hit him or knock him away as I make a break for it. I don't like those odds though.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:

1) If this did get out of hand I would call the police.

2) In a determined voice say " no all I want to do is go home". But if he still didn't get the message I'd kick him in the b@ll@*ks and run.

3) Ok the one with the knife I would try and disarm him by hitting his hand with my bag. Atleast you can use the bag as a shield if he does start making stabbing motions at you. I might be inclined to crescent kick the knife out of his hand depending on how much room I have to maneuvre. If not grab the kinife hand and twist it outwards, (thats if you can get hold of it) Kick to the knee really hard. If you can get hold of his hand, try pulling his thumb back and breaking it! Then again as somebody else suggested use the other attackers as human shields.

S

Shaolin Kempo Kung Fu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporal Hicks

Good questions
1. I would first call the police, if it looked like it was going to get out of hand, then i would go over and try to talk to the man, maybe buy him a drink, if he did not want to talk or get a drink, then i would either take him down to a pin hold, and see if he wants to talk it out then, if it got really really bad, i would intervene with a swift kick to the groin, or a punch to the kidneys.

2. For this one if the person was coming up towards me, and was indeed going to fight, i would drop my bad immeadatly SP? or throw the bag at him, then i would strike him in the face or in the groin, probably not the body, and attack him before he attacked me.

3.lol, good question. For this one, same thing, throw the bag between me and the knife, then control the knife, there are several ways to do this, but controling the wrist/hand is very important, i would prob control the knife first, maybe take it away, then put that first man between me and the other two, push him towards one, and threaten the other with the knife. Then kick in the groin, stomach or knee while he is watching the knife, run, tell someone, or quickly take care of the third.

With all of these situations, especailly the third, remember that you might, and prob will get hurt, but these are just what i might do.

Latest Discussions