Situations, What would YOU do?!

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
3) By some chance (taking into consideration some circumstances) you are back against a wall and three guys roughly your height are advancing menacingly on you, one has a knife and they are not going to let you go without a fight, the closet one has the knife and is roughly three meters away, what do you do? You are also wearing a quite heavy school type back across your back?
On this, I'd posture with bag at side and ready until first BG lunges, kick bag at his feet, brush/grab his lunging knife hand, assuming lunge, and throw him into the wall, pushing off him, and whip jabbing the next best in the eye, maybe oblique or straight kick him, and hope the thirds not on me. If so, RFK.

C

Cobra

Corporal Hicks said:
Here are a number of situations, how would you react? If you would react at all? Feel free to make up your own and continue the thread. Condsider what skills you would use if you were going to interveen at all:

1) Your in a pub sitting at a table. Through the course of the evening you have noticed a heavily built man being quite abusive towards what seems to be his girlfriend, she seems frightened of him. Later in the evening he becomes louder and more abusive, people are avoiding him then he starts on his girlfriend shouting in her face and then raises his fist threatening to hit her. Its obvious that nobody else is going to interveen and the landlord is egnoring the situation. The situation then gets worst, he pushes his girlfriend against the wall and raises his fist again! What do you do?

2) Your walking home quite late one night, and you notice a couple of kids playing up across the street, you stay to one side of the street but then one of the kids around 16 years old breaks away from the group and struts threateningly towards you yelling "Come on then mate, you want some", you are wearing quite a heavy bag across your back (school bag) and you have roughly three seconds to react? What do you do?

3) By some chance (taking into consideration some circumstances) you are back against a wall and three guys roughly your height are advancing menacingly on you, one has a knife and they are not going to let you go without a fight, the closet one has the knife and is roughly three meters away, what do you do? You are also wearing a quite heavy school type back across your back?

You dont have to answer all of them! Just answer those in which you wish you could react to!
1. I might call the police depatment, depending on what the situation is. If or if not I will then walk to the place where the the man and the woman is and aks "Is everything alright?" If he tries to come at me violently or at the girl, I will defend the both of us.

2. I would ignore the punks and keep going and if they start to come close to me I will explain I want no trouble. If they still attack me, I would injure them with enough force to run and then I will call the police on those punk's asses.

3. I would use my backpack as a sheild and run away and call the police. I might kick the unarmed men if they tried to grab me.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
1. Call the police and stay out of it unless he starts beating her up before they arrive.

2. Keep walking, if he continues to advance say something like "back off, I don't want any trouble" If he continues to advance, run if it's possible to do so, fight if it ain't.

3. Use the backpack as a shield against a slash or thrust while drawing my own weapon (gun, knife, baton, or whatever) and in the words of General Patton: "attack, and attack, and attack some more" and then run like hell. :)

W

white mantis

#1 I would first call 911, then even if it was'ent my fight I can't stand anyone hitting a woman so I would calmly ask him to stop what he was doing and if he keeps it up I would continue to ask him untill the police arrive or he takes the first swing at me.

hedgehogey

Green Belt
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
Here are a number of situations, how would you react? If you would react at all? Feel free to make up your own and continue the thread. Condsider what skills you would use if you were going to interveen at all:

1) Your in a pub sitting at a table. Through the course of the evening you have noticed a heavily built man being quite abusive towards what seems to be his girlfriend, she seems frightened of him. Later in the evening he becomes louder and more abusive, people are avoiding him then he starts on his girlfriend shouting in her face and then raises his fist threatening to hit her. Its obvious that nobody else is going to interveen and the landlord is egnoring the situation. The situation then gets worst, he pushes his girlfriend against the wall and raises his fist again! What do you do?
Rear naked choke, maybe break his arm while he's out. Then pin a note to his chest about respecting women.

2) Your walking home quite late one night, and you notice a couple of kids playing up across the street, you stay to one side of the street but then one of the kids around 16 years old breaks away from the group and struts threateningly towards you yelling "Come on then mate, you want some", you are wearing quite a heavy bag across your back (school bag) and you have roughly three seconds to react? What do you do?
Run. He has his friends with him. Or laugh, seeing as i'm obviously being menaced by british teenagers, who are universally considered just slightly less threatening than angry chihuahas.

You dont have to answer all of them! Just answer those in which you wish you could react to!
Run. If that's not possible, pull my own weapon. Christ, did somebody really reccomend crescent kicking the knife out of his hand? What the hell is wrong with you?

K

Kevin Walker

Corporal Hicks said:

Situation #1: Mind your own business. Let the managers of the pub handle it.

Situation #2: Stay alert and ready to defend yourself, but only if you absolutely must. Develop a criteria or a rule for your reaction. My rule is: if the guy puts his hands on me in any unwanted fashion, he crossed a line. But, if he doesn't touch me and just mouths off, remember that words don't hurt.

Situation #3: A weapon has been drawn, another line has been crossed. Defend yourself immediately and get out of there.

M

Mark Weiser

Okay putting on my ole Sheriff deputy hat for some of these lol.

Situation #1:
Unless there is 110% chance of death or severe bodily harm to the woman. You are required to prevent a felony from occurring. Under most state satutes you can be held liable if you had the means and ability in prevention of that felony.

Situation #2: Being in that kind of problem you have to be ready for a fight but you must try to verbally calm down the problem. First rule of any fight words hurt less that a fist in the face.

Situation #3: If you have any means of escape you must take it immeadately. You must fight you will have to use terminal force upon this person if he strikes at you with the knife.

Sincerely,
Mark E. Weiser

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
1. Shoot the guy in the back of his head spraying his (what little) brains all over his (now) ex-girlfriend... walk out of the bar and on the way out flip the bartender a coin and say in my best Han Solo voice "Sorry about the mess".

2. Whip my bag off of my shoulder and start beating the crap outta the kid with it while repeatedly yelling back at him... "C'mon mate you want some? Huh? Do ya? HUH?"

3. Stare all of them down and then throw my eyes wide open while pointing violently at something behind them screaming LOOK! IT'S SPIDERMAN (in keeping with the times)! and while they turn (suckers!! :uhyeah: ) run like hell.

(just kidding... no, seriously I was)
We can hypothetical all we want but we'll never know exactly and precisely what we'll do in any given situation. So honestly it's impossible to say. We can "brain-train" all we want but when it comes down to "FOR REAL!" good luck remembering "ok, first I'm gonna say this then I'm gonna do this and then....."

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Since I am an american who lives in england and worked as a "doorman" for a while....I am a little biased
icon12.gif
1) Some pub landlords are worthless and would let a woman get a beat down just to save thier own hide,then again..some would step in.But...in england,I found a well placed ashtray to the bridge of the nose will take his attention off his lady friend.Of cousre,in england...defending yourself or others is a BIG no-no!
the courts do NOT like that! screw'em.
2) I had this exact thing happen to on more than 1 occasion.....I made myself look like a wussy and walked everytime; its an ego pump for them,most of the time....cept once...this "boy" really wanted his kudos! I kept saying NO and he kept commin,but I kept up with the "no's" even as I was bashing the living f**k out of him in front of his friends.They learned 3 valuable lessons that day...a)if your gonna talk it,you may have to walk it.b)old age and treachery will overcome youth and exhuberance.c) careful who you mess with..they just might mess back!
3) RUN if you can!!!!! If not...slam that big ole' bag in his chest,when he tries to recover...stick your thumb in his eye and grab hold of the orbital socket and shake real hard, then try to throw on of his friends on the knife...that way its occupied and you won't have to worry bout it much.If all 3 have knives....run like hell and hope they puke from exhaustion before you do!

as for UK teenagers being like chihuahua's...you have to remember that s. africa is the stabbing capital of the world followed by glasgow,scotland being the stabbing capiltal of all european countries....no guns,but they still get busy in a most violent way!

G

Gaidheal

As a Scot in England.....

1) I'd talk to him. He probably is counting on people ignoring it.. most people do. Meanwhile my mates would be calling the Police, because before I got up from my table I'd have handed the phone to them with '112' already dialled and ringing through. There is a good chance that once he realizes that he is not going to be allowed to do whatever he likes in public and the Police are on the way he'll start backtracking.. if he does not.. well his lookout. But I wouldn't 'trade blows' I'd use my most appropriate "One-shot-drop" technique.

2) Say "Nope." and keep going, if they follow, make sure they know I know they're there and keep going wherever it is I was going. If they initiate an actual fight, I'd drop them, preferrably with their mates looking on and then carry on walking wherever I was headed in the first place.

3) Not going to happen. I really would not ever allow myself to be backed against a wall like this, especially by a group... but assuming that somehow I had.. and that I had a bag (I don't carry them, as a rule, but hey!) I'd chuck the back at the nearest guy to my exit route as I started to sprint towards him, drop him, shove him, whatever on the way past and keep running. Anyone who thinks that trying to disarm is a good idea is an idiot and obviously hasn't really trained for it - it's VERY risky and quite difficult, real last resort stuff.

John

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Run. He has his friends with him. Or laugh, seeing as i'm obviously being menaced by british teenagers, who are universally considered just slightly less threatening than angry chihuahas.

Lol, I agree with that and I am one. Well ok, general British Teenagers are pretty pathetic but thats because they probably have to be home by 10 o clock and in bed by half past. Na not really, but still alot have binge drink problems. The only ones that are dangerous are probably those with guns (pfft cowards, fight me like a man!!!) and Martial Artists.

Thanks for the replies:ultracool

G

Gaidheal

Martial Artists, even teens, are not dangerous. They don't tend to pick fights.

Anyone who 'fights like a man' will find out the hard way that fighting isn't a game and you use whatever works, not least surprise, treachery and 'unfair tactics'

John

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Gaidheal said:
Martial Artists, even teens, are not dangerous. They don't tend to pick fights.

Anyone who 'fights like a man' will find out the hard way that fighting isn't a game and you use whatever works, not least surprise, treachery and 'unfair tactics'

John
I meant that if you start on Martial Artists then those who are good, I think tend to be dangerous! And I know that street fighting is not fair etc etc, But when it comes to with British Teens I think that 'fight me like a man' especially when with his mates will make him think

G

Gaidheal

Corporal Hicks said:
But when it comes to with British Teens I think that 'fight me like a man' especially when with his mates will make him think
From experience; not likely.

John

Flamebearer

Green Belt
Reaction score

A. If attacked, take off bag and make sure bag absorbs knife. Preferably the knife sticks in the bag and you can toss the whole combo away.
B. If attackers are my height, they're pretty short! Whatever it takes, get out and run!

K

KenpoNoChikara

Corporal Hicks said:

1. Either go tell him to back off, or call the police
2. Say no and keep walking, if he persists, and doesen't give you choice, fight
3. Swing the bag toward the the guys hand w/ the knife, kick him the groin, shove him into the other guy, react to whatever the other will most surely throw at you, although action does beat reaction

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
1) call 911 and get teh girl away from the guy but im not 21 yet so i have no place in a bar or pub

2)hope to God it never happens but i would first try ust ignoring the guy cus hes pry just out for attition and if that fails and he takes the first shot i wouldent hessatate to stand my ground and firght

3) use the bag as a bit of a sheild and go for the groining and run like the wind

Im also a girl so i wouldnt be out at night alone its not smart nor safe and being in college makes me and even bigger target iv been told so yeah im just more careful

Nightwish

White Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
I put down my pack, and draw my gun. Sorry, not good odds with 3/2 knives against a woman and nowhere to run. Slinging the pack at one and pepper spray would help but that leaves 2, possibly both with knives. Crescent kick closest one hard on the wrist to disarm, kick to the groin and immediately sweep the other. Then run.
I see you watch too many movies.

Nightwish

White Belt
Reaction score
i would do whatver i would do.

I don't know how i will react until i'm placed in a situation...how can you say i'll do this or i'll do that? There are WAY to many variables that can fall into place.

Put me in those scenarios and i will definately do SOMETHING hell yeah, but i don't know what. Same thing with lets say you throw a cross at me...i don't know what to do against a cross, nor do i want to...but throw one at me and i will do whatver my body does to avoid and counter attack and hurt you real bad.

Sorry if i went Zen on you.

P

Patrick Skerry

Observe the situation and be prepared to be an expert witness. Let the management take care of it.

Latest Discussions