Simularity I've Noticed Between JKD and All Martial Arts

Discussion in 'The Great Debate' started by Zenjael, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Cyriacus

Cyriacus Senior Master

Its kinda like saying that if You avoid a fight, Youre a Confucianist Buddhist Pacifist. Tisnt the case. You made the choice. You. Not the belief system.

2. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    What? Nope, that's not any clearer, Alex. Your original comment was "In such, each style is like a different form of thinking, expressed through physical means. I do not think there is any better style of thought, just different speeds and degrees."

Dude, this just doesn't make any sense. It's a collection of words that don't say anything.

Tell you what, try to simplify your language. Say what you mean in the plainest language you can. Let's see if we can make any sense of this, yeah?
    You know, I'm going to pull the "how would you know?" card out here... you've verified that you don't actually have any experience in JKD at all, you've never trained in it, at best you've read some Bruce Lee books from the looks of things. Do you think it's possible that you've completely misunderstood the central tenets of JKD yourself? Honestly, that's what I'd say from your comments.

I'll explain.

While JKD does endorse cross-training and exploration of multiple sources to discover what you can personally adapt to your own application, it doesn't then follow that no matter what art you're doing you can make it JKD. JKD is it's own training approach, separate to any and all other systems, so your comment is, frankly, completely wrong.

Did you read what you were answering, Alex? There wasn't a question of what tenets were (tenants, maybe...), there was a question of why you would think that JKD's tenets would be "practical and possible" as opposed to any other arts...

First off, the most recent thing that I can see where there is a technique where someone would get repeatedly kicked in the face was demonstrated by you... but really, I'd be hard pressed to think of much in any legit martial art that would have remained in a system that fits your description. When you deal with some of the arts that I do, it's pretty simple... the arts teachings are only around now because of the bloodshed that they grew from. If there were techniques that saw the practitioners getting "kicked in the face", the art would have died long ago. I mean, realistically each and every martial art is designed specifically to generate success in a particular environment, so the likelihood is more that a particular technique is being applied in the wrong situation.

What this really means, though, is that there is no "according to JKD" as anything special here... pretty much all martial arts only have techniques that work (in their context), and will not keep something that doesn't. If you can't make it work, it might not be a fault of the technique. It might be that you don't understand it, you are applying it in the wrong context, or that you don't possess the talents or personal attributes to use it. That's fine... but deciding you do, or don't want to include a particular technique from your system into your regular repertoire doesn't mean that you are following JKD. The only way you are following JKD is if you are training in JKD, which is very different to everything you have discussed so far.

Here's the thing, Alex. You think of martial arts as "moves". And really, "most in MA"? How many is that?

No, Alex, you are only following a concept of JKD if you are training in JKD. You may have a similar approach or concept in your own training, but that doesn't make it JKD. At all.

I get what you mean, but there might need to be some clearing up. While JKD is taught as a conceptual training methodology in many cases, in practical terms, the senior instructors of it have fairly solid bases in one or another form of martial art, which is what they then base their exploration of JKD on. And that comes from the way the system developed, really. As a result, JKD (as taught today) doesn't require the new student to be training in multiple arts, as the seniors have already done that for them. And really, it's not advisable either. The original seniors didn't train twenty things at once, they trained in one, and once they had a solid base in that, they could then expand their training to include other things.

3. MJS

MJS Administrator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    Am I reading this correctly? Are you saying that various arts have no differences? If that is what you're saying, I'm going to disagree. As its been noted in other threads, many arts have many of the same tools, tools being defined as kicks, punches, blocks. However, the differences lie in the application. A Kenpo guy isn't going to kick like a TKD guy would. Yet there are side kicks, front kicks, etc.

I'd also say that some styles are more fluid whereas others may be more rigid. Look at some of the Kung Fu systems out there...you'll probably see alot of fluid movements, whereas Shotokan will be more firm in a stance.

Even a language, which you also mentioned, will have some slight differences. For example: One job that I had, there were alot of Hispanics working there. There was one guy who was from Columbia. Sure, they all spoke Spanish, however, the way some of the words were pronounced, were different. One could be defined as more of a 'proper' Spanish vs. hints of slang.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding how you worded your thread.

4. simplicity

simplicity Green Belt

OMG!
    (o_0)

5. Aiki Lee

Aiki Lee Master of Arts

I thought that this might be the proper way to go about it. I bring it up because it seems to me every dojo has 1 or 2 guys who believe they pretty much are Bruce Lee and tend to just make stuff up based on what they think will work for them without having any real knowledge to discern for themselves. I know of a guy from our dojo who got a green belt in our system, and a few other low kyu ranks in various other systems and he believes he is doing what Bruce Lee did by going his own way and making up his own curriculum made from poorly instilled basics of other arts.

6. shesulsa

shesulsa Columbia Martial Arts Academy

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • LifeTime Supporting Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    Are you referring to Okinawate?

7. frank raud

frank raud Master Black Belt

So,JKD is like Bruce Lee's version of common sense?

8. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

• Supporting Member
    aaaaah no

JKD = Jeet Kune Do = Way of the Intercepting Fist

You may have an incredibly complicated move the works for you..... that does not make it JKD... it makes it a complicated move that works for you.

You may want to read the following, without a predetermined understanding and/or belief and really try and understand what Bruce Lee was saying here