Should We Be Wearing Gis Or Not?

CoreyMinchin

White Belt
Reaction score
I realise that there are arguments both for and against wearing gis whilst training and I'm not necessarily saying that it's a bad thing but I've noticed recently that at the club that I train at, more and more people have stopped wearing gis to the point where only about 20% of the people at the club where I train wear gis now (me included). Has this happened at the club that you train at? If so, do you think that wearing gis is a good thing or not?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I realise that there are arguments both for and against wearing gis whilst training and I'm not necessarily saying that it's a bad thing but I've noticed recently that at the club that I train at, more and more people have stopped wearing gis to the point where only about 20% of the people at the club where I train wear gis now (me included). Has this happened at the club that you train at? If so, do you think that wearing gis is a good thing or not?

In our dojang, everybody wears a dobak, except those who have not yet earned one. But it's entirely a matter of the instructors preferences, and there is certainly something to be said for practicing self defense techniques in everyday street clothing.

Of course, when people don't wear a dobak/gi, they generally don't wear everyday street clothing either.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It depends on the context of the art.

If the historic/"traditional" context is important to you, then you should wear whatever gear is accurate and "traditional." If that's the "white pajamas," then wear that. If the art is being studied "just for fun 'n stuff" then it really doesn't matter.

When teaching the Bowie Knife, I have occasionally made students wear leather mocs. It makes you move different because your footing is different. It's an important element to understanding how the weapon was used in its historic context.

If you want to learn how to do gi chokes, a gi (or suitable stand in) is pretty much required. If you're going to do a morote seoinage, a firm grasp on the front lapel is required and a lapel that isn't going to shred is, therefore, a necessity. Try doing morote seo to someone wearing a flimsy T-Shirt. :p

On the other hand, if you want to practice no-gi chokes & throws, then well, no gi is required.

Ever notice how some "traditional" Asian martial arts have long, skating, footwork? How well does that footwork work in the middle of a field? It's not that that footwork is "wrong" or "impractical" it's that said footwork evolved as an artifact of being able to move indoors on smooth surfaces where short, mincing steps or steps which pick up the feet too far from the surface actually create more opportunity for the opponent.

In short, before you decide if you should be wearing a gi or not or if doing/not-doing so is a good/bad thing, first you must identify what you want out of the art and why you are studying that art.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I see a strong utility for some sort of training uniforms where grappling emphasis are the norm, t-shirts won't put up to the strain that a judo or jiujitsu gi will. When I did BJJ the standard approach was to start with gi and then go gi-less to understand the differences, but the general assumption was the the presence of the gi and the added availability of additonal hand holds made for more technical students.

For striking arts, I don't really care, our kenpo school was student choice, with the instructors wearing full gis simply because it looked more professional.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would say that is up to the dojo and its instructor, as to if a gi is required or not. I think that it really does not make a difference as far as how your training will translate to actual use on the street in what I study, but again your instructors call.

I like the gi, as it is intended to make the students look much the same. take class , which was a huge thing and still is in some parts of most Asian cultures out of the dojo training environment. today it tends to also take gender a little out of mind for many. If your instructor says wear either or what have you, do it his or her way.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gi's are good for practice because they allow freedom of movement, can stand up to hard workouts, and gives the dojo continuity.

To be far, seasei should not soak students for the cost of gi's..............

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Firstly, gi is a Japanese word so there is no plural form, it is used like the word deer. That being said, I think you have to work that out with your instructor. Some schools will insist on it, others will insist against it, some won't care. In any of these cases, discussing it with your instructor will yield enough information for you to make a more informed decision. People on the forum can only give their own ideas, and those ideas may or may not have the least bearing on your situation and the art you're practicing.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gi are good for practice because they allow freedom of movement, can stand up to hard workouts, and gives the dojo continuity.

To be far, seasei should not soak students for the cost of gi..............

Firstly, gi is a Japanese word so there is no plural form, it is used like the word deer. That being said, I think you have to work that out with your instructor. Some schools will insist on it, others will insist against it, some won't care. In any of these cases, discussing it with your instructor will yield enough information for you to make a more informed decision. People on the forum can only give their own ideas, and those ideas may or may not have the least bearing on your situation and the art you're practicing.
There ya go, I fixed that for ya.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyway, there was a time where there was no question about what to wear. But as with everthing, things changs.............

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I train at home in plain clothes. At the Dojang in Dobok.

Theres really zero difference to Me.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What to wear? What the Chief Instructor of the dojo wants, the Chief Instructor of the dojo gets.

As for training outside of class, I guess that's up to each person. For me, there isn't anything in the world as comfortable as a good pair of gi pants.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
For my hapkido, I am glad we work out in dobaks.

In Southeast Missour, very much of the time people are wearing clothing thick enough to be used as the "handles" a dobak provides.

I also consider, when training, how to apply techniques if it is in the summer months when folk are much more likely to be in no more than a T-shirt.

(although I did learn a neat trick for using a T-shirt...)

A judo gi-type dobak holds up well to the rigors of the style of hapkido I train in.

In general, having a specific set of workout clothing helps to put the person in a training mindset, so there is that added benefit.

But ya'll do what you want to do :) Don't feel like you HAVE to wear one.

WingChunIan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As a wing chun practitioner, I obviously don't wear a gi, we don't have belts / sashes, or funky silk suits either. We teach for the street and the structure of the class is typical of Hong Kong which is very informal. We do however encourage students to wear a club T shirt to train in as some form of uniform gives a sense of belonging and unity. I also think back to when I used to train Japanes and korean arts as a teenager and the discipline of ironing the gi and tying the belt correctly together with the general discipline of the class is something that I think was very character building which in the rush for practical self defence is a benefit of traditional arts that many people overlook.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dislike wearing any clothes that do not fit...including gi/dobok. I don't mind the uniformity aspect tho...a prior school I attended requested students wear black pants and a school shirt. A uniform that fits the body and the budget, yay! :)

MLA9741

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I believe that everyone from a school wearing a dobok creates a sense unity. Also, I believe that it should vary when and when not you should wear it. If you're covering forms/moves/kata, wear it. If you're covering street self defense, wear street clothes.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try looking at it from the other direction. Why not wear a gi?

I wear a gi in the dojo because that's what we do. Only new students who have not yet purchased one do not wear a gi. I can't think of any specific reason not to wear a gi in the dojo.

I do agree that training in street clothes - and shoes - is desirable, but that can be done outside the dojo.

Besides, my belt and patches would look mighty stupid on gym shorts and a t shirt.

:)

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At the dojo, we always train in gi. If someone forgot to bring his gi, then shame on him. He can still train in street clothes, but only for that class.

The way I see it, everyone wearing the gi creates uniformity. This way, you don't have any distracting things based on clothing.

For example, if someone wore an old t-shirt that looked rather ragged, does that really promote a good image, and is it really worth letting that individual detract from the group?

Furthermore, if someone wore a t-shirt that stands out a lot more for some reason, do you really want that kind of distraction there?

By wearing gi, everyone is essentially wearing the same thing; a garment that doesn't cause distractions, that allows freedom of movement, and one that puts everyone on the same page.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

At my current dojo, we wear gis all the time, and yeah, its hotter than hell in the Summer...lol. I've also trained at schools where the uniform was a t shirt and sweatpants. It all depends on the art.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is nothing, I mean absolutely nothing, that feels better than putting on your gi, cinching your belt, and taking on that attitude. You know the one I mean. (Oh, yes, you do!)

May none of us here ever lose that feeling.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tonight at the dojo, we did our usual warmups and such; we wear gi pants and t-shirts for that. Then we put on our gi tops and obi as we always do before beginning training; and Sensei said it best, "So it looks like we're doing karate in here!" Bingo.

Latest Discussions