should schools teach a universal form of martial arts

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think something should be offered, but voted on by the school board, in combination with a petition signed by a majority of the parents in that particular district. For some reason, I don't see that happening.

The MAs are a great thing, and should be enjoyed to some extent by everyone... But I think people will become interested in the MAs when its their time; and not as a requirement (even a two-week visit in PE) in school.

I'm assuming you're talking about other MAs outside of wrestling; which is offered in many schools.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
elementary - basics

jr hs - intermidiate

hs - a lil bit more advanced

No.

Basics, How to twirls a Blade or Cane for a 5 year old who is not under your direct supervision could be a problem. For those parents who take their kid to a club / studio / etc. and they know what the kid will be learning for they can see it, then they have chosen what to expose their kid too.

But I still think that recess should still allow the kids to play, contact sports as I have heard recently that almost all schools have gotten rid of them for recess including kick ball.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
elementary - basics

jr hs - intermidiate

Some level of basics should be taught, especially at the elementary school level.

Children are much more vulnerable than adults

Certain basics, such as falling and rolling, are applicable outside of just self defense as well; you may never be attacked in your lifetime... ever (some people are lucky that way), but you will fall, and kids tend to fall more than adults, partly because kids engage in activities where a fall is much more likely.

Given the vulnerability of children, they most definitely should be taught situational awareness, how to handle themselves if someone attacks them, strategies to escape, and most importantly, verbal skills.

As far as techniques, basics such as dodging, blocks, footwork, and the aforementioned ukemi would be benefical to any child.

As students get to middle school, teaching them some basic holds and grabs, how to get out of them, and how to use them to stop an attacker and then effect escape would likely be permissible and certainly helpful. More advanced ukemi could be taught at this level.

The area where you would run into problems making SD mandatory is with anything that could be categorized as "offensive" techniques. Any kind of striking instruction will be targeted by the lawsuit crazy lambs who wish to sue everyone else as they merrilly skip to the slaughterhouse. The climate in public schools is very hostile to defending one's self. In Mont. County, if a student is attacked and defends themselves, both the attacker and the victim are suspended or expelled. This may be the case even if the victim does not fight back, but I am not sure enough to make that assertion.

By high school, a police sponsored self defense course is very appropriate. And having it police sponsored should keep the lawsuit lambs at bay.

For anything beyond that, most every high school has a wrestling team, and for strikers, a karate or kickboxing club could easily be offered. It is sports now, not fighting. A high school sport taekwondo team would be pathetically easy to do; partipants are suitably padded up with safety gear, there is a built in tournament circuit already, an international governing body and an international registry for rank above dan bo. Sport karate would likewise be easy to do as a high school program.

For those inclined towards weapons, a good number of high schools have fencing teams, and a kendo club would be easily worked in as well.

Aside from the legal issues I mentioned earlier, the biggest issue would be qualified personel and convincing a school that a martial arts or self defense program is worth making room for on the school's budget.

Daniel

alphacat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think that violent kids would take the MA they were taught in school to the streets and not for self defense intentions.

Most teachers don’t get the honor an instructor does, and therefore won't be able to influence on the kids' behavior, especially on the behavior of the evil kids.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ever wonder why there's so many forms of martial arts?

People have preferences; likes and dislikes. What I like, you may not like or be interested in.

For that reason, I don't see a "universal" form of martial arts existing ever.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know, we receive so much literature from our son's school about nutrition, exercise, fundraisers, charity drives, and the like that I forget what the hell they're even supposed to be teaching them anymore. I would prefer that they not add any more subjects to the curriculum and renew their drive to teach them math, language skills, and science. If they add anything, let it be Logic and Economics.

/my lawn, get off it

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know, we receive so much literature from our son's school about nutrition, exercise, fundraisers, charity drives, and the like that I forget what the hell they're even supposed to be teaching them anymore. I would prefer that they not add any more subjects to the curriculum and renew their drive to teach them math, language skills, and science. If they add anything, let it be Logic and Economics.

/my lawn, get off it

The 3 "R"s? lol

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score

/my lawn, get off it

We are going off topic a tad but I feel that school should give them a well rounded education and give them a wide expossure to different things.

My biggest grip is they dont teach enough civics, i think civics should be taught every year from 5th grade on, not just 1 credit and your done.

The reason Jefferson was for public education was to have informed voters as it was his compramise to his position that only landowners should vote. He did not want iggnorent people having a say.

Now on the OT. I would be o.k. with them doing some MA in P.E. class but at the same time I'd rather their parents hire me and others like me to teach their kids.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Teaching martial arts to prisoners is a bad idea.

Teaching martial arts to children in public schools is a bad idea, and for the same reason.

If anything, children should have their arms chained to their sides and duct-tape placed over their mouths until they are eighteen years old.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Teaching martial arts to children in public schools is a bad idea, and for the same reason.

If anything, children should have their arms chained to their sides and duct-tape placed over their mouths until they are eighteen years old.

rofl!

Speaking for myself: as a child, ma training would've made me even more dangerous than i was...and i mean recklessly dangerous

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rofl!

Speaking for myself: as a child, ma training would've made me even more dangerous than i was...and i mean recklessly dangerous

I had to deal with bullies more than once growing up. Probably a good thing that neither of us knew any martial arts. Black eyes and split lips are better than broken bones and knees blown out from side kicks before the age of 10.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They do.
Mostly they call it running, but, it is also known as Nike Do.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
elementary - basics

jr hs - intermidiate

Wrestling.

I'd say its as close to a universal martial art as you can get. Pretty much every culture has developed a form of sport wrestling at one point or another.

It's also very non-violent compared to most traditional styles, due to the lack of strikes and submissions.

That said I don't think it should be a required part of school, just a optional sport.

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score

whoa ! sound like my dad ...

they teach prisoners boxing so why not MA

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I teach Jr high here in Japan, and I know our kids get a required minimum of 8 hrs of Judo in PE class each year. Many schools have Judo/Kendo/Karate/Sumo clubs as well. But as far as a required class, Even we only do it as a breif introductory class. Most PE teachers have at least a Sodan level.

But I think the problem you would run into would be determining what is acceptable for each age group. Or what the aim of the course is to be.(Self Defense vs Sport vs teaching a specific style) Also you run the risk of discipline problems.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, My Daughters Sensi Al...many years ago was ask to teach Judo at a private elememtary school...

Results....Less acidents, less bullying and better attendance and grades..

Kids learn how to fall and roll, bullying slow down alot, and even the grades improve...(Judo also teaches how to get along with each other...respect!)

There are other Schools that teaches this ART of Judo with great results with elementary students and higher grades...

Keep an open mind.....Martial arts learning is a good thing...can also be use bad people.....just like "guns" ..in the wrong hands? ....can be a dangerous...

Should school teach a form of martial arts? .....YES!

Will it happen NO....to many problems including liabilities...and getting enough "train qualify Sensi's or Instructors..and the total cost, class spaces, equitments...etc..

Aloha, ....Will it better for the kids in the long run? ...Yes and Yes

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Because they are bad people. They should not be taught anything but a trade so they can work and pay taxes if and when they ever get out. Teaching them ways to hurt people is a very bad idea because that's what they will do.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score

I don't think official who run the prisons teach boxing, they permit the prisoners to box, as a sport, like playing basketball, weight training, etc. But teach them, no.