Should "running" be part of your MA training?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To develop skill is easy. To develop ability is hard. A technique won't work sometime is not because there is anything wrong with that technique, but there is no ability to support behind it.
I agree whole heartedly, when people say a techneque won't work, they are usually wrong, its them that isn't good enough to use that skill

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There goes a guy who Will Rogers never met. :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
its a sport, sport is elitist, it favours the good over the mundane, it favours the dedicated over the u committed. That isn't judgemental its a simple fact. I want to be the best i can be, I set my standards off those of fit people. You want to use civi average's and are thus comparing yourself with donut eating monsters who can hardly walk. If your happy with that crack on

Sport is elitist, really, I have know a few athletes and they were good, but not elitist, they tended to be rather self confident and yet not arrogant and not in much need of adulation or have a desire to flash their ego, and not all MAist look at it as a sport, like I said there are traditionalist and reality based folks too.

You still seem to need to make this personal...or, as I originally thought...you are a troll..like I said I am not comparing myself to anyone I am simply talking about facts and science, but you did at least prove my point, when you do not get full agreement or you cannot argue your way out, you get insulting and condescending....which again says troll....you won't be around long.....

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sport is elitist, really, I have know a few athletes and they were good, but not elitist, they tended to be rather self confident and yet not arrogant and not in much need of adulation or have a desire to flash their ego, and not all MAist look at it as a sport, like I said there are traditionalist and reality based folks too.

You still seem to need to make this personal...or, as I originally thought...you are a troll..like I said I am not comparing so if itsmyself to anyone I am simply talking about facts and science, but you did at least prove my point, when you do not get full agreement or you cannot argue your way out, you get insulting and condescending....which again says troll....you won't be around long.....
so if its not a sport what is it, a hobby ? Like stamp collecting

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so here is a question for the kungfu boys and girls

when I did kungfu in the late 80s. The training was brutal , and I was supperdupper fit. I thought all ma were like that. Roll on 30 years and i visit the local karate schools and find the training is soft, the people are not very fit and I conclude all ma are like that. Is it the passage of time and people are less dedicated now or is it just that kungfuers, take physical conditioning more seriously?
So, you visit a few schools, and conclude all are like that?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
nb id make you star guy do more explosive push ups, he will come on a lot faster
Do you mean the guy in the blue pants?

We have one where we fall to the ground and are force to put up our guard as if someone is trying to punch or kick us while we are down. This is done with resistance where the standing partner bears weight by pushing for 3 seconds. We must hold the guard while the our partner increases the pressure. The moment the standing partner relieves pressure, the guy on the ground has to get up. For example the guy standing pushes on the arm of the guy on the ground. The push has to be with enough force to where the guard almost collapses (which is why we hold for 3 seconds).
street-standup-3.jpg

We do a lot of crazy stuff but we always try to get stronger, improve endurance (muscular and cardio), and push ourselves.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
so here is a question for the kungfu boys and girls

when I did kungfu in the late 80s. The training was brutal , and I was supperdupper fit. I thought all ma were like that. Roll on 30 years and i visit the local karate schools and find the training is soft, the people are not very fit and I conclude all ma are like that. Is it the passage of time and people are less dedicated now or is it just that kungfuers, take physical conditioning more seriously?
Usually the traditional school go harder with training in terms of physically demanding with a focus on hard body conditioning, cardio, and strength building. At least in the state where I live. Most people who want "real martial art" like how they trained in the old days will often seek out a traditional school.

Modern martial arts schools train hard but it's not brutal training. For example, A non traditional school here will advertise how safe they are and how no one gets hurt or injured. Traditional Kung fu let prospective student know that they will get bruises, not because of an accident, but because we willingly caused the bruises as part of traditional conditioning.

For us, hard body conditioning is almost a safety requirement because without it, our blocking techniques are very painful to the unconditioned arm. Pulled muscles from doing some crazy kick, normal. Hurt hips, minor back injury normal with certain techniques. We have ways for students to train safety and minimize injury, but for us, it's a natural part of training. We just try to keep injuries minor.

Some modern schools (the ones that are overly focused on safety) have injuries too, but those are usually from accidents and not from students intentionally damaging themselves.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
US Navy requires swimming and they base their running distances on shorter distance than the US Marines. And even then they apply a score to what you were able to accomplish so even they do not make a blanket that says if you cannot do this you're not in shape, which is what you appear to be doing. To get out of boot in the Navy you all you need to get a score of 60 out of a possible 100. Marines you need a 3rd class rating I believe not a 1st class or a 100% so you may be following the standards but you might also have decided that you need to be in that 100% to be in shape and that is simply not the case by Military standards.

Most of the US services' fitness tests are not really designed to test fitness. They're force shaping tools. They're arbitrary standards set to create a minimum standard to help reduce health cost issues and create an extra point for giving people the boot for force reduction purposes. For those jobs within the services that actually have fitness demands, they have their own fitness standards.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
just because you dont enter competition's does stop it being a sport
Agree! Sport is the only format that you can develop dependable MA skill. When your opponent tries to punch at your head 100 times and you can block 99 of his punches, you are using "sport" method to train. Your ability to block a head punch is 99%. A 99% MA skill is better than a 80% MA skill. Only sport can give you a measurement like that.

In "sport", you can use safe rules to train unsafe MA skill. No training partner will let you to poke his eye balls out and still willing be your training partner next day.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
yes but there young people compared to me. It's seem that people want the skills but don't seem bothered about having the physical abilities to make them work.

I can just knock the black belts over in 5 secs of sparring. They have all the skills but no ability
You do not speak with either the language or the wisdom of some one who is 57..

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Happy birthday, bro. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree! Sport is the only format that you can develop dependable MA skill. When your opponent tries to punch at your head 100 times and you can block 99 of his punches, you are using "sport" method to train. Your ability to block a head punch is 99%. A 99% MA skill is better than a 80% MA skill. Only sport can give you a measurement like that.

In "sport", you can use safe rules to train unsafe MA skill. No training partner will let you to poke his eye balls out and still willing be your training partner next day.
Then you and I define "sport" differently.

Latest Discussions