Should "running" be part of your MA training?

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If I can

- block 10,000 punches that my opponent throws at my head with "rhino guard", I will know that my "rhino guard" is good.
- take my opponent down by single leg 10,000 times, I will know that my "single leg" is good.

I truly don't know any other way to develop my self-confidence for my MA skill. May be you can tell me a different way that I can try.
If you worked as a nightclub doorman for 10 years do you think you would develop some dependable martial skill?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you worked as a nightclub doorman for 10 years do you think you would develop some dependable martial skill?
I wouldn't know. I don't have that kind of experience myself. I can only speak for what I know. I can't speak for what I don't know.

IMO, defense skill such as "rhino guard" cannot be used without proper "testing". A nightclub doorman doesn't have to deal with head punches everyday.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't know. I don't have that kind of experience myself. I can only speak for what I know. I can't speak for what I don't know.
Neither have I, but as we know other people have done it, it would seem to be one non sporting way to developing dependable skill.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Neither have I, but as we know other people have done it, it would seem to be one non sporting way to developing dependable skill.
It's chicken and egg issue.

1. Do you have MA skill so you get doorman job, or
2. Do you get doorman job so you can develop MA skill?

IMO, 1 is more true than 2. The question is "How do you develop your MA skill before you get your doorman job?"

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't speak for what I don't know.
But that's exactly what you did by stating that sport is the only way to develop dependable skill. What you should have said was sport is the only way I know of developing dependable skill.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But that's exactly what you did by stating that sport is the only way to develop dependable skill. What you should have said was sport is the only way I know of developing dependable skill.
All my posts are my personal opinions only. I don't have to add "This is only my personal opinion" on each and every single post that I have put up, do I?

My post -> my opinion -> I express what I know

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
All my posts are my personal opinions only. I don't have to add "This is only my personal opinion" on each and every single post that I have put up, do I?
You don't have to no, of course not. But when phrasing statements to suggest 'This way is the only way that works' thereby implying that other people's methods do not work (even though by your own admission you know nothing of others people's methods) it would avoid confusion (and people challenging your statement when they disagree) if you did.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Have you already developed MA skill before you take that job, or do you use that job to develop your MA skill?
he had 20 drunks a night to practise on, their like slow moving punch bags, but with slower reaction and less ballance

Latest Discussions