Should "running" be part of your MA training?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
so if its not a sport what is it, a hobby ? Like stamp collecting

So you only see things in black and white then, 1 and 0s if it is not sport its a hobby...ok then you must think think things like police/military sanda or military combative are similar to stamp collecting ...interesting...had enough of you, you have become tiresome....let me leave you with this, you should read it... because it applies.

From the book - Zen in the Martial Arts by Joe Hyams

Chapter Title “Do Not Disturb”

This is from a conversation between Joe Hyams, Sterling Silliphant and Bruce Lee

On one such occasion we talked about the difference between wasting time and spending time. Bruce was the first to speak.

“To spend time is to pass it in a specific manner” he said. “We are spending it during lessons just as we are spending it now in conversation. To waste time is to expend it thoughtlessly or carelessly. We all have time to either spend or waste and it is our decision what to do with it. But once passed, it is gone forever.

“It is the most precious commodity we have, “agreed Sterling. “I always view my time as divided into infinite moments or transactions or contacts. Anyone who steals my time is stealing my life because they are taking my existence from me. As I get older, I realize that time is the only thing I have left. So when someone comes to me with a project, I estimate the time it will take me to do it and then ask myself, ‘Do I want to spend weeks or months of what little time I have on this project? Is it worth it or is it wasting my time?’ If I consider the project time-worthy I do it.

“I apply this same yardstick to my social relations. I will not permit people to steal my time. I have limited my friends to those people with whom time passes happily. There are moments in my life - necessary moments - when I don’t do anything but what is my choice. The choice of how I spend my time is mine, and it is not dictated by social convention”

After Sterling finished talking, Bruce looked into space for a few moments. When he finally spoke, it was to ask if he could make a telephone call.

When he came back, Bruce was smiling. “I just cancelled an appointment.” he said. “It was with someone who wanted to waste my time and not help me spend it”

You want to waste my time and I will no longer allow it.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've read zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance.
sport is the name for something of an athletic nature done for fun. It doesn't need to be competative to be a sport , that usually referred to as competative sport . So rock climbing is a sport, as it lone fell running, weight training etc.
if your doing it for work, its ether professional sport or if its just a skill required for employment like the examples you gave then it would be a vocational skill or ability
things of a non athletic nature done for fun are refered to as hobbies, stamp collecting, fishing,. However both stamp collecting and ma could correctly be call past times

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
对牛弹琴
Duìniú tánqín
To play the lute to a cow

In ancient times, there lived a musician named Gong Mingyi. He was a master of the Zheng, a plucked string instrument. Unfortunately, his rash behavior often led him astray. One day, he saw a cow grazing in a field near his house. He was inspired by the scene and ran outside to play a tune for the cow. Gong Mingyi played beautifully, finding himself intoxicated by the music. But the cow paid no heed to the elegant sounds, simply focusing its attention on eating the grass. Gong Mingyi was surprised at this and could not comprehend the cow’s flippant indifference. He felt that since his performance had been masterful, this means that the cow neither understood nor appreciated his elegant music!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that

She did well, she was nearly ninety and had seen all her family destroyed during the war but was as they say a game old bird. :) ( not sure Americans will get that :D)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
She did well, she was nearly ninety and had seen all her family destroyed during the war but was as they say a game old bird. :) ( not sure Americans will get that :D)
mines 85, trying to spend the time now, if you know what i mean

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Then you and I define "sport" differently.
This is how I use "sport" to train my MA skill.

1. If you can punch my head within 20 punches, you win that round. Otherwise I win that round.
2. If you can kick my body within 20 kicks, you win that round. Otherwise I win that round.
3. If I can take you down by "single leg" within 30 second, I win that round. Otherwise you win that round.
4. If I can put my hand on your throat within 30 punches, I win that round. Otherwise you win that round .
5. ...

Test for 15 rounds and then decide the winner.

1 and 2 can be used to test "defense skill". 3 and 4 can be used to test "offense skill". The "you can" and "I can" can be reversed in every test.

This training is different from the regular sparring/wrestling. Each round, you only test one and only one particular MA skill. Some day I just want to test one particular MA skill 100 rounds and nothing else.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do. Though, it's awfully close to calling her a gamey old bird, which wouldn't be respectful, at all. :oops:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do. Though, it's awfully close to calling her a gamey old bird, which wouldn't be respectful, at all. :oops:

A chap is out hunting on day in the words and he comes across a beautiful young woman, 'Are you game?' he asks. 'Oh yes' she replies in a sexy voice. So he shoots her.......... :D

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
A chap is out hunting on day in the words and he comes across a beautiful young woman, 'Are you game?' he asks. 'Oh yes' she replies in a sexy voice. So he shoots her.......... :D
That's funny.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sport is elitist, really, I have know a few athletes and they were good, but not elitist, they tended to be rather self confident and yet not arrogant and not in much need of adulation or have a desire to flash their ego, and not all MAist look at it as a sport, like I said there are traditionalist and reality based folks too.

You still seem to need to make this personal...or, as I originally thought...you are a troll..like I said I am not comparing myself to anyone I am simply talking about facts and science, but you did at least prove my point, when you do not get full agreement or you cannot argue your way out, you get insulting and condescending....which again says troll....you won't be around long.....

Um.... calling someone a troll is allso insulting.

Which makes your post kind of ironic.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
so here is a question for the kungfu boys and girls

when I did kungfu in the late 80s. The training was brutal , and I was supperdupper fit. I thought all ma were like that. Roll on 30 years and i visit the local karate schools and find the training is soft, the people are not very fit and I conclude all ma are like that. Is it the passage of time and people are less dedicated now or is it just that kungfuers, take physical conditioning more seriously?

It depends.

There is a saying in our gym.

You cant support a school with just fighters.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It depends.

There is a saying in our gym.

You cant support a school with just fighters.
yea I can see that, commercial considerations' and all., but my earlier post that caused a few,folks to get upset,concerned the point that you shouldn't, to my mind, be able to reach elevated grades unless your fitness was at a good level. . It seems that if your fit enough to bumble through the kata that is sufficient

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yea I can see that, commercial considerations' and all., but my earlier post that caused a few,folks to get upset,concerned the point that you shouldn't, to my mind, be able to reach elevated grades unless your fitness was at a good level. . It seems that if your fit enough to bumble through the kata that is sufficient

nb there isn't a fitness section so Il throw it in here. I got me mile and a half run down to 10.30 . I'm really chuffed, when I started around Christmas, it was taking me 5mins to run a measly half mile and then collapse. Just another 30 seconds to go and Il reward my self with some new running shoes

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
nb there isn't a fitness section so Il throw it in here. I got me mile and a half run down to 10.30 . I'm really chuffed, when I started around Christmas, it was taking me 5mins to run a measly half mile and then collapse. Just another 30 seconds to go and Il reward my self with some new running shoes

That's pretty good for an old man :)