Martial arts goals for 2020 ???

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
1) better footwork and defense for boxing. Learn how to move. Use my reach
2) Improve Wrestling for only MMA. working on it. Just simple take downs
3) Find the right no-gi BJJ class that is not too complex and physical on me. Just master the core stuff and not get too crazy

No goals in MT !!! No goals in strength and conditioning as I am only 155 pounds.

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have found the right Boxing and MMA Beginner program with excellent coaches and not too physical that I am getting beaten up

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
No goals in strength and conditioning as I am only 155 pounds.

That's a perfectly healthy weight for your height.

11stone at 6'1" is right bang slap in the middle of the green - not too skinny, not too fat.

I hate BMI, but...

Screenshot_20200118-231048.png

Train, improve, get stronger.

Stop being a pussy.

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score

11stone at 6'1" is right bang slap in the middle of the green - not too skinny, not too fat.

I hate BMI, but...

View attachment 22667

Stop being a pussy.

No the avg American male is 200 pounds

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score

I hate BMI, but...

View attachment 22667

Stop being a pussy.

My next class is Monday

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
No the avg American male is 200 pounds

The image I showed had nothing to do with average, it's to do with health - apparently two entirely different things.

Average is not a target, and just because the average is overweight it doesn't mean it's something to aim for.

Seriously, 200lbs (unless on a bodybuilder, rugby player etc) is actually fat and unhealthy.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My goal for 2020 is to work on fitness every day of the year. So far so good.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
So on topic...

I think a good goal for me is to move my gut back up to my chest, where it was the year before last before I got waylaid by illness :/

And once that's done, maybe look at testing for BB.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My goal for 2020 is to work on fitness every day of the year. So far so good.

I have been doing some pretty good 'rear end' work this year. ;)

It I hit some big MA milestones last year. My only real goal for 2020 is the keep working out.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
200lbs (unless on a bodybuilder, rugby player etc) is actually fat and unhealthy.

I cannot go that far. Genetics play a huge role. There are tons of people who would be considered overweight by the scale in you post that are very fit, healthy, and active at their weight.
We have a woman at our Nashville school that by every 'standard' is obese. But she outworks nearly everyone in class. She is a huge outdoor person who is hiking, running, and often competes in mud runs, marathons, even triathlons.

Simply put, her BMI or frame or 'big bones' just do not get in her way.

I do very much agree with not using "average" as the standard, especially in America. We have a bad habit of grading everything on a curve.
Conversely, the comparator cannot be only elite athletes.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I cannot go that far. Genetics play a huge role. There are tons of people who would be considered overweight by the scale in you post that are very fit, healthy, and active at their weight.
We have a woman at our Nashville school that by every 'standard' is obese. But she outworks nearly everyone in class. She is a huge outdoor person who is hiking, running, and often competes in mud runs, marathons, even triathlons.

Simply put, her BMI or frame or 'big bones' just do not get in her way.

I do very much agree with not using "average" as the standard, especially in America. We have a bad habit of grading everything on a curve.
Conversely, the comparator cannot be only elite athletes.

Oh, I do agree - that's one reason I dislike the whole BMI system.

As I said in another thread - I know people who fall both sides (underweight or obese) who are in no way unhealthy - and I know people who fall within 'normal' who are far from anything approaching healthy.

But it's a useful illustration to challenge someone who reckons being right in the middle (and therefore under average) is a disadvantage. My contention is that it's pretty much the ideal starting point.

The other thing is that the woman you mention (and the people I know) are actually outliers. They're not 'elite', but nor are they 'normal'.

'Normal' is that the majority of people who are 200lbs+ carry that weight in their belly and butt and the majority who are underweight are very badly nourished. And that's where my statement of 200lbs=fat comes from - the average person that is 200lbs is undeniably fat. Being 6', 200lbs with sub 20% body fat makes that person an outlier.

But that's also part of my opinion on it - weight by itself, or even a weight/height ratio, means very very little. It's what the weight is made of that is the important thing.

As to genetics, it does have a part to play - some people are more prone to laying down fat than others. But, with proper care over diet it can be mitigated, most often entirely. The problem with that though is that sometimes it takes a massive amount of work to eat like that - I'm positive I couldn't.

Other people are built heavier with muscle (those outliers above) - unless they treat themselves badly they'll never get their weight down and nor should they try...

W.Bridges

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Goal for 2020
1. get to 2nd kup red belt in TKD, Currently 4th kup blue belt.
2. get my weight down around 235 to 240, currently been staying in the 255 to 260 range was 290
3. finish remolding my house.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Goals for 2020.
Decide to expand or contract.
I had 2 opportunities to sell my automation business last year and have been leaning that way for some time.
There is some acreage that joins one of our farms I have been wanting for some time that looks to be coming available. If we can work a deal I will sell my business. The two offers from last year are still out there.
So I guess I will expand (1) business and contract/collapse the other.
It does suck that my health is a variable in the equation.

Martial arts goals for 2020.
Keep working out. Get out of the 1 step forward 1 1/2 steps backward mode. Gets harder and harder.
Help both our dojangs and TKD as a whole continue to grow and thrive from the background.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Goal for 2020:

- Concentrate on leg skill - moves that require single leg balance.
- Develop a set solo drills that I'll enjoy of doing it.
- Try to add on 10 lb body weight.

Last edited:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Goals for 2020
Fight in 2 Dog Brothers events
-for those events focus on double long weapon fights

Fight in 2 HEMA events
-for those events fight in sword and shield/buckler tourneys

Fitness
Attend 30 year high school reunion at the same weight I graduated.
Equal fitness benchmarks that I reached 5 years ago by November

Grow regular club attendance by 30%.

Latest Discussions