Basics of Kenpo

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Taking a long range look at Kenpo, the art appears to have a technique for every situation. On closer inspection, you find alot of variants of other techniques, sometimes with shades of difference, othertimes with major changes. With this in mind, what are the basics of Kenpo? If you could distill it down to a few base movements and concepts, what would they be?

I realize this is both an overly simplistic and overly broad question/look, but I am currious where the experienced see the basics at.

:asian:

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz

Taking a long range look at Kenpo, the art appears to have a technique for every situation. On closer inspection, you find alot of variants of other techniques, sometimes with shades of difference, othertimes with major changes. With this in mind, what are the basics of Kenpo? If you could distill it down to a few base movements and concepts, what would they be?

I realize this is both an overly simplistic and overly broad question/look, but I am currious where the experienced see the basics at.

See Master Key movements and techniques

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

B

brianhunter

Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo

See Master Key movements and techniques

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Clyde,

You always ask me if I have any questions and I always draw a blank finnally have one for you.......would you mind listing them for me??? Or getting ahold of me and letting me know???? I left you a message a few days ago figured you where doing the yuma thing still.

Brian Hunter

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brian...the master key techniques have been listed on the forum. type in master key or something similar for a search and you will probably have no problem finding them. I'm almost positive that Mr. Connaster's "Question and Answer" thread has them listed.

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by brianhunter

Clyde,

You always ask me if I have any questions and I always draw a blank finnally have one for you.......would you mind listing them for me??? Or getting ahold of me and letting me know???? I left you a message a few days ago figured you where doing the yuma thing still.

Brian Hunter

Of course there are Master Key Techniques as well as Master Key Movements and Master Key Drills..... LOL why do you think we talk of them - just to tease the northerners... HA!

MASTER KEY MOVEMENT(S) are defined as being a move or series of moves that can be used in more than one predicament with equal effect. For example a rear heel kick, shin scrape, and instep stomp can be used for a FULL NELSON, BEAR HUG with the arms free or pinned, REAR ARM LOCK, etc. Or, an arm break can be applied to a cross wrist grab, a lapel grab, or hair grab - application of the arm break would remain constant, but the methods of controlling the wrist would vary.

In comparison,

MASTER KEY TECHNIQUES entail sequential arrangements of movements that can be applied to a number of predicaments. In the case of a MASTER KEY TECHNIQUE it is a single technique that may be used as a BASE MOVE. Other similar techniques may then be perceived as formulations of it.

In many ways they are like Family Groupings and Associated Moves; they are the result of an individual's further association of movements; they are the next logical step in the search for spontaneity. Remember, the following are only one set of model groupings. The art of Master Key Techniques is to eventually be able to use any and all techniques as a BASE MOVE and to see how all
other techniques are formulations of it. This should lead you to the next level of spontaneity.

MASTER KEY DRILLS are training drills that work actions that are incorporated over and over all throughout the system such as the Training Horse and straight 2 - Knuckle Punch (Master Key Drill).

OK, Ok Here are the Sought after 10:

THUNDERING HAMMERS + 32 "variations of"
FIVE SWORDS + 44
LONE KIMONO + 9
SHIELDING HAMMER + 17
REPEATING MACE + 8
LOCKED WING + 1
INTELLECTUAL DEPARTURE + 4
THRUSTING SALUTE + 2
PARTING WINGS + 24
HOOKING WINGS + 4

Now don't tell anyone I did this!

This is Dennis's post, figured I'd put it here again in case they had any questions on this subject. I'll give you a call later Brian, and think of some good questions.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

K

Kirk

Thanks for the info!
Lots of info there all at once for a beginner like myself, so just to
start off with a tiny part of it:

In many ways they are like Family Groupings and Associated Moves;

Can you (or anyone for that matter I guess) define these terms,
and give me an example? I would venture a guess that family
groupings are grouped by attacks, e.g. Sword and Hammer,
Obscure Wing, Obscure Sword? Would these be family
groupings?

Associated Moves?? what's that?

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Kirk

Thanks for the info!
Lots of info there all at once for a beginner like myself, so just to
start off with a tiny part of it:

Can you (or anyone for that matter I guess) define these terms,
and give me an example? I would venture a guess that family
groupings are grouped by attacks, e.g. Sword and Hammer,
Obscure Wing, Obscure Sword? Would these be family
groupings?

Associated Moves?? what's that?

Actually they're not related by attack but by similar movement. You have a Father and Mother move with sister, brother, cousin and so forth. Let's take three techniques almost identical in motion, except on different planes. Dance of Death, Thundering Hammers, and Sleeper. The first move is the same, the left inward block (the mother), with the next move being the inward right hand (the father). They are the same action on different planes on the Universal pattern, and with different circumstance. You can also add in sister and brother moves on the lower planes to attack the legs should you want to. Or say for example Parting Wings and Shield and Sword have alot of the same movement but with one being on the inside (PW) and the other being the outside of a left punch (S&S). Hope that was helpful.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

K

Kirk

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I guess the question I
should've asked first is at what level should one be exposed to
this information, so that he/she will understand it best?

Dance of Death I've actually tested on. Thundering Hammers I
learned at a seminar, and I didn't even know a tech called
Sleeper exists. Parting Wings I've SEEN done, and Shield and
Sword I've only heard of. I might be testing for purple next
weekend, just to give you an idea where I'm at, presently.

So master key movements, master techs, master key drills, family
groupings ... are they something that should be introduced
further down the road??

Again, I appreciate the time you, and other high rankers spend
with us lowly "skittles" as one of our assistant instructors refer
to us as :)

P

ProfessorKenpo

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I guess the question I
should've asked first is at what level should one be exposed to
this information, so that he/she will understand it best?

Dance of Death I've actually tested on. Thundering Hammers I
learned at a seminar, and I didn't even know a tech called
Sleeper exists. Parting Wings I've SEEN done, and Shield and
Sword I've only heard of. I might be testing for purple next
weekend, just to give you an idea where I'm at, presently.

So master key movements, master techs, master key drills, family
groupings ... are they something that should be introduced
further down the road??

Again, I appreciate the time you, and other high rankers spend
with us lowly "skittles" as one of our assistant instructors refer
to us as :)

Exactly what curriculum are you learning? All the techniques I mentioned above are Orange and Purple belt material and can be introduced at that level.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

K

Kirk

Exactly what curriculum are you learning? All the techniques I mentioned above are Orange and Purple belt material and can be introduced at that level.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Yellow Belt

1. Delayed Sword
2. Alternating Maces
3. Sword Of Destruction
4. Deflecting Hammer
5. Captured Twigs
6. Grasp Of Death
7. Attacking Mace
8. Sword And Hammer
9. Mace Of Aggression
10. Checking The Storm
11. Intellectual Departure

Orange Belt
1. Clutching Feathers
2. Triggered Salute
3. Gift Of Destruction
4. Locking Horns
5. Dance Of Death
6. Lone Kimono
7. Five Swords
8. Scraping Hoof
9. Grip Of Death
10. Crossing Talon
11. Shielding Hammer
12. Obscure Wing
13. Thrusting Salute
14. Striking Serpent's Head
15. Locked Wing
16. Glancing Salute

Purple Belt
1. Reversing Mace
2. Buckling Branch
3. Thrusting Prongs
4. Twisted Twig
5. Obscure Sword
6. Repeating Mace
7. Raining Claw
8. Crashing Wings
9. Twirling Wings
10. Snapping Twigs
11. Leaping Crane
12. Swinging Pendulum
13. Crushing Hammer
14. Captured Leaves
15. Evading the Storm
16. Charging Ram

P

ProfessorKenpo

Yellow Belt

1. Delayed Sword
2. Alternating Maces
3. Sword Of Destruction
4. Deflecting Hammer
5. Captured Twigs
6. Grasp Of Death
7. Attacking Mace
8. Sword And Hammer
9. Mace Of Aggression
10. Checking The Storm
11. Intellectual Departure

Orange Belt
1. Clutching Feathers
2. Triggered Salute
3. Gift Of Destruction
4. Locking Horns
5. Dance Of Death
6. Lone Kimono
7. Five Swords
8. Scraping Hoof
9. Grip Of Death
10. Crossing Talon
11. Shielding Hammer
12. Obscure Wing
13. Thrusting Salute
14. Striking Serpent's Head
15. Locked Wing
16. Glancing Salute

Purple Belt
1. Reversing Mace
2. Buckling Branch
3. Thrusting Prongs
4. Twisted Twig
5. Obscure Sword
6. Repeating Mace
7. Raining Claw
8. Crashing Wings
9. Twirling Wings
10. Snapping Twigs
11. Leaping Crane
12. Swinging Pendulum
13. Crushing Hammer
14. Captured Leaves
15. Evading the Storm
16. Charging Ram

That's what I thought, all the more reason for bashing the 16 curriculum. I have never liked it or will ever use it because it's lacking, severely. It leaves you too far out of the loop for those that study the 24 system, but you might catch up somewhere around 5th Black, but by then, those that study the 24 are so far ahead in knowledge and skill it isn't even funny. Oh well, I'll get off my soapbox now cuz I know Dennis will defend it to the end.

Have a great Kenpo day

G

GouRonin

That's what I thought, all the more reason for bashing the 16 curriculum. I have never liked it or will ever use it because it's lacking, severely. It leaves you too far out of the loop for those that study the 24 system, but you might catch up somewhere around 5th Black, but by then, those that study the 24 are so far ahead in knowledge and skill it isn't even funny. Oh well, I'll get off my soapbox now cuz I know Dennis will defend it to the end.

You just better shut up mister or I am going to get on the next plane and beat your fists with my face until you give up crying for mercy!

I like the 24 system too. Leaves people with more time in the art before black. But that's just the opinion of an ex-Kenpo fool.
:D

K

Kirk

24 vs. 16, isn't it still 154(5) techs before earning a black belt?

The only problem that I've personally encountered is with buying
videos. I have yet to find one where I can buy a purple belt tape,
and get the same techs as being taught for purple in my school.

B

brianhunter

Have a great Kenpo day

Do you think learning the master key techniques later in the curriculum effects the skill and knowledge of the practitioner directly?

G

GouRonin

24 vs. 16, isn't it still 154(5) techs before earning a black belt?

Sure. The difference is that you know all the techs longer and have more time in on them to work them and play with them before black.

In the 24 system there are no techniques for 1st brown or black. Just extentions. The extentions re-enforce the previously learned material and add onto them. I don't see any particular extentions as the important thing but just that they are done.

Some people say the etxtentions were just to keep students and in a way they are right but they also work on the re-enforcement concept.

The 16 system allows for more student retention I believe. But Both Dennis and Clyde have their reasons for likeing using both I am sure and whom am I to question the things they do? I worked in a 24 and 16 and a 20 per belt system and I liked the 24. But that was just me. So it's just my 2 cents. Both those guys have a deeper understanding of the system than myself. I just used them to protect my @ss.
Heh heh heh...

The only problem that I've personally encountered is with buying videos. I have yet to find one where I can buy a purple belt tape, and get the same techs as being taught for purple in my school.

I hear ya. Maybe you can speak to your instructor and ask him if he minds if you video him doing the tech for your own study purposes?

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

That's what I thought, all the more reason for bashing the 16 curriculum.

Just so everyone is on the same page.
THE Original 16 Technique Curriculum that Mr. Parker endorsed is listed properly at the AKF Website here:
http://www.akfkenpo.com/curriculum/index.html

If any of the HTML is still screwed up it is my fault. I may work on it this weekend.

The curriculum is explained there briefly if you want to go look. Kirk's school does not follow this curriculum. They follow "a curriculum with 16 techniques on most of the charts" but the Original one as linked to above is consistent with the Web of Knowledge, etc.

I put this up because there are a lot of "16 Technique Curriculums" out there and they are not all the same. I think that when the news of this originally got out a lot of people thought "I can put 16 techniques on a chart" and just made one up. This is unfortunate but this section of the AKF site will hopefully clear up some of the myths about what the 16 Technique Curriculum is, where it came from, and how it is supposed to work properly within Mr. Parker's system.

G

GouRonin

So a 3rd in the 24 system would hold as much knowledge as a 5th in the 16?

By the way...the website is really nice. I like how it's simple to look at and easy to read as well as fast on the download.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

So a 3rd in the 24 system would hold as much knowledge as a 5th in the 16?

By the way...the website is really nice. I like how it's simple to look at and easy to read as well as fast on the download.

Yes, a 3rd in the 24 system is equivalent to a 5th in this 16 system. Sometimes that depresses me, but as you can see from the posts about my recent promotion, I am not primarily interested in chasing rank for its own sake. If it matters though, Mr. Duffy was promoted to 5th by Mr. Parker so he came up through the 24 system himself.

Thank you very much for the compliment on the website. That is exactly what we are shooting for.
:ubercool:

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by cdhall
Yes, a 3rd in the 24 system is equivalent to a 5th in this 16 system. Sometimes that depresses me, but as you can see from the posts about my recent promotion, I am not primarily interested in chasing rank for its own sake. If it matters though, Mr. Duffy was promoted to 5th by Mr. Parker so he came up through the 24 system himself.

I have absolutly no beef with Mr. Duffy at all. I don't even know the man and I hear nothing but good things about him. Please don't think that is where I am going.

My only beef with the 16 is that it lets people be in the art for less time to black. I like the 24 because, like a nice chili, you have to simmer and work the material in. I love EPAK. I left because the politics were out of this world. Sadly, over inflated rank etc is what I think might be causing the Kenpo world more problems than not.

I agree though that the 16 system is great for student retention. Mr. Duffy uses it. Dennis uses it. They are 2 great Kenpoists and if they can make it work then more power to them.

Originally posted by cdhall
Thank you very much for the compliment on the website. That is exactly what we are shooting for.
:ubercool:

No worries. I like to call it as I see it and that means both bad & good. Kudos.

Latest Discussions