Share your greatest song or lyric???

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah, my dearest young J, the Tea Party!!! Fantastic!!!

Jeff Martin spends a lot of time in Australia these days, and the Tea Party did a tour recently I believe. Jeff himself is doing a lot of producing, as well as solo gigs. I could listen to Edges of Twilight and Transmission back to back for years on end....

Some of my favourites from Edges are:

Fire In The Head, just a phenomenal song, and such fun to play on drums....

The Bazaar, reminds me of a time past and a love lost....

"Please my friend, no matter what she sees
Tell my lover come back to me".....

Sister Awake, just a beautiful song that I had to help me through a loss....

And, from Transmission....

Temptation. The name says it all, really.

Mind you, some of the comments are funny...

One of the founders of the modern Tea Party was on Morning Blow this morning exclaiming that the group was established in Feb. 2009 to get America's fiscal house in order. What a load of crap for most members! It was founded because they saw a "negro" in the White House, and their hypocrisy on the debt and deficit is belied by their silence during Dubya's reckless spending reign circa 2001-2008.

Dude..... Seriously.... not the same tea party....

Wow, I just can't leave these ones....

Again, from Edges, a live version of some real guitar playing

The Badger.

And, of course, the standard question is how on earth a three piece band could ever pull off those songs live?

Sister Awake again.

I could go on for hours....

Last edited by a moderator:

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
"Y yo tengo una manada ke les gusta la violencia..."
This is my signature on my txt msg. :ultracool

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ah, my dearest young J, the Tea Party!!! Fantastic!!!

Jeff Martin spends a lot of time in Australia these days, and the Tea Party did a tour recently I believe. Jeff himself is doing a lot of producing, as well as solo gigs. I could listen to Edges of Twilight and Transmission back to back for years on end....

Some of my favourites from Edges are:

Fire In The Head, just a phenomenal song, and such fun to play on drums....

The Bazaar, reminds me of a time past and a love lost....

"Please my friend, no matter what she sees
Tell my lover come back to me".....

Sister Awake, just a beautiful song that I had to help me through a loss....

And, from Transmission....

Temptation. The name says it all, really.

Mind you, some of the comments are funny...

Wow, I just can't leave these ones....

Again, from Edges, a live version of some real guitar playing

[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
The Badger.

And, of course, the standard question is how on earth a three piece band could ever pull off those songs live?

Sister Awake again.

I could go on for hours....
Christopher, I am glad you are also a fan. It was just that one song that hit me. I like what you have posted. Thank you. What else you got? I think it is not so good that you are grieving a loss of something that was perhaps not meant? Put it in its place in your memory and move on along. There is always something around every corner, no? Here is what I thought of in reading..

[yt]JJg6L-j8uTo[/yt]

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Y yo tengo una manada ke les gusta la violencia..."
This is my signature on my txt msg. :ultracool

Hey that is a full on beat. I like that in my ears. Thank you for posting this up!! Does this video give a representative feel of your own culture where you are from can I ask? And have you more?

This is the sound and scene of where I am from north London :) I think there are similarities in urban street cultures across the world, no?

[yt]GLfEU5lelUM[/yt]

Oh I am so on this vibe (though hey do NOT click if you are sensitive to naughty language and stuff!!!!!!!!)
[yt]i3Jv9fNPjgk[/yt]

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Christopher, I am glad you are also a fan. It was just that one song that hit me. I like what you have posted. Thank you. What else you got? I think it is not so good that you are grieving a loss of something that was perhaps not meant? Put it in its place in your memory and move on along. There is always something around every corner, no? Here is what I thought of in reading..

[yt]JJg6L-j8uTo[/yt]

Ah, The Music! Again, lots of fun. I love the feel and groove of "Breakin'" myself....

As per conversation occurring elsewhere, here's where I was a few nights ago.... (Warning: This is part of a comedy festival, although not strictly a comedy show, but Paul does let slip a few words that some sensitive souls may feel their world sullied by witnessing the expression thereof.... ):

Personal favourites include:

Stripped (3:30)
I Think I Like You (31:00)
Unicorn (54:29)
Trancended (101:20)
with an absolute favourite in
Happiness (38:40)

Oh, hell, it's all of them!

Lyrics for Stripped and Happiness... I'll let others pick out lyrics for the rest.

STRIPPED

I have been stripped of a layer of meaning, I
Fell through the floor watched you fly through the ceiling
She's so high, higher than thought can think
A mere sprite, like one of the nubilate
So hold tight, she radiates light from her
Jokes, it's what men prefer
They need the centre of things
The centre of things

I watched them packing up all Sunday morning
The day of the fourth and they fled without warning
It's so bright, the sun almost burns your eyes
A cruel fight, I feel I can sympathise
Famine, it pours over boiling words
It's more than we deserve
Love is a beautiful curse
A beautiful curse

She said I'm stained like a girl from the bowery
I pay my respects to her hourly
I'm just so clumsy and circumspect
I never know what it meant
Perhaps it was heaven sent
She's so high, this kitten on gasoline
And codeine, fuelled by her medicine
She lies back. "Handsome." she says again,
"You've always been my friend.
"Lord it's the loveliest day
The loveliest day

I have been stripped of a layer of meaning, I
Fell through the floor watched her fly through the ceiling
And I find, she's finer than porcelain
Or bromine on silver gelatine
In blue sky, she's carried by seraphim
Aptly named valium
Into the arms of the night
The arms of the night

HAPPINESS
You're what happens when models marry
You're the kind of angel they produce
Pale creature more sad than savage
Heaven knows you're fireproof

In an apartment with a dirty mirror
You can still kiss your face goodbye, yeah

I want you, I need you,
I want your skin against my skin
I want to impress you,
I want to know where the hell you've been, yeah

You're what happens when models marry
You're the kind of victim they let loose
Sitting on your own, it's tragic
That no one knows the awful truth

Your scheming little junkie friends all tell you
That kind of beauty is a crime, yeah

I want you, I need you,
I want you confused and unable to stop
I want to possess you,
I want to know what the hell you want

I want you, I need you,
I want your happiness and scars
I want to - oppress you,I want to know who the (AHEM) you think you are
Yeah, Yeah

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey that is a full on beat. I like that in my ears. Thank you for posting this up!! Does this video give a representative feel of your own culture where you are from can I ask? And have you more?

Yeah thats my joint!
I been on that joint hard ery since they dropped it.
Im in Washington DC but them bammas from Peurto Rico.
I only listen to Spanish hip-hop.

I like dem vids from da UK!!!
Thanks.
Ive always wonder how they be livin ova there.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ah, The Music! Again, lots of fun. I love the feel and groove of "Breakin'" myself....

As per conversation occurring elsewhere, here's where I was a few nights ago.... (Warning: This is part of a comedy festival, although not strictly a comedy show, but Paul does let slip a few words that some sensitive souls may feel their world sullied by witnessing the expression thereof.... ):

Personal favourites include:

Stripped (3:30)
I Think I Like You (31:00)
Unicorn (54:29)
Trancended (101:20)
with an absolute favourite in
Happiness (38:40)

Oh, hell, it's all of them!

Lyrics for Stripped and Happiness... I'll let others pick out lyrics for the rest.
Ah I have given you The Music before? I am sorry to repeat :) Thank you for sharing these tunes.. I think there is an almost painful honesty in this singer Paul McDermott and in these words he is conveying, thank you for posting these Christopher :) I think it is a wonderful thing to post and I will stop taking meaning when I do not seem to get it right. Well I do not think there is a more heartfelt plea than this :) I think sometimes Neil Young is just crazy in the head to be wanting such a thing.. ah cautarea mea continua

[yt]7fXaC07X5M8[/yt]

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah thats my joint!
I been on that joint hard ery since they dropped it.
Im in Washington DC but them bammas from Peurto Rico.
I only listen to Spanish hip-hop.

I like dem vids from da UK!!!
Thanks.
Ive always wonder how they be livin ova there.
Ha, well I have not been where you are and but we live much like you live I guess? Street culture is street culture wherever it is, it is just people trying to make something of theirselves with not much to make it out of. Music around here is a wonderful tool for allowing kids to express constructively I have found :)

Glad you like the vids.. yes one is from the grime vibe here and but Ms Azealia well she is from the 212.

And what are bammas? I do not know if that is a good thing or a pejorative :)

[yt]PQ-uJLJiOQk[/yt]

What other music on your jukebox?

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ha, well I have not been where you are and but we live much like you live I guess? Street culture is street culture wherever it is, it is just people trying to make something of theirselves with not much to make it out of. Music around here is a wonderful tool for allowing kids to express constructively I have found :)

Glad you like the vids.. yes one is from the grime vibe here and but Ms Azealia well she is from the 212.

And what are bammas? I do not know if that is a good thing or a pejorative :)

What other music on your jukebox?
Nah that Ms Azealia joint sucks! LOL!
I like Prof Green joint.

"Bamma" can be used for both pos and neg. Just depends on the situation. Its just a pronoun.

"Yo I cant believe dat bamma bought dem new Nikes."
"Man youa str8 bamma for wearin dat purple suit."
"Nah man, dat bamma called me yesterday but I aint wanna go."

LOL!
Just some examples.

Burnse

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For some reason this always cheers me up, so I don't know about greatest but it's definitely what came to my head every time I read the title of this thread.

"So wear me like a locket around your throat.
I'll weigh you down, I'll watch you choke.
You look so good in blue. You look so good in blue."

'Nobody Puts Baby In The Corner' by Fall Out Boy

2.20-2.48

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As requested, purely for their ability to make you smile at the world around you.

As with earlier posts, a short warning for those who have delicate sensibilities, due to language and concepts more suited to mature members, who have grown out of the giggly phase.... if you're offended after watching these, I recommend not clicking on them.

A love song....

Another love song....

Not a love song....

A powerful statement on the powerful statements that powerful statements can state.... powerfully.... hmm.

A perfect not perfect song....

An honest appraisal of love in a time of danger....

An honest love song....

An honest love song.... er, perhaps.

An honest love so.... well, more realistically, the problem with the previous song....

Sometimes the aim is not as true as the intent behind the shot....

Poor Tim never gets the... guy? Hmm.

Hmm, this could explain the previous one....

The plot thickens....

Okay, this is just an old favourite...

Hmm, should stop there. Otherwise I'll be keeping this going all day.....!

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@Burnse howdo!! grateful for your post and want more!! Fall Out boy they are still around do you know? Cool lyric oh I would have a whole bunch in the same vein haha.. I like this
[yt]KMuOZJZlBZY[/yt]

@Chris Parker Christopher I want to get to see Tim if I can get tickets he is Judas in JCSS they are doing at the O2 though I would not say who is doing Mary pffft.. i heard him say he had wanted to do the role like forever.. and yes those songs are very what I would expect :D I think his inflatable uh friends song is funny and ther e is pathos in it too maybe? these are very clever.. I like men in guyliner I am not sure what that says about me haha :D

here are some love songs in kind.. well it just dont get more romantic than this.. or maybe *I* just dont get more romantic than this lols.. it has bad words of course you know the song :)
[yt]QHapDS2fcFE[/yt]

oh that is not sweet enough? well just for you here is a love song :D
[yt]EPoYQHDi1HI[/yt]

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
payload 4 for2 as it is more important to gift than be in receipt :) mix up songs

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah, my dearest J, such tender offerings you make.... The Femmes were fantastic, I remember seeing them at a festival... a crowd of some 70,000 screaming out "What can I get?" was an experience! Yet, for all that, my classic Femmes song must be, and always will be, this one. I just can't help playing it whenever I get near a bass, or often on guitar as well, it always becomes an instant singalong!

As far as Tim playing Judas, that would be a fun thing to see! The last time we had Superstar here was in 1992, and it was done as more of a "concert in the round", rather than a stage show, which was actually pretty cool. We had Jon Stevens (from a NZ band called Noiseworks, and occasional fill-in singer for INXS when they were looking around for a new leadman), who was passionate, powerful, everything you'd want from a Judas in that show.

Of course, the rest of the cast was pretty damn impressive as well!

But for a fantastic version of a song from that show, it all begins with "Heaven on Their Minds"... pity I can't find anything with our Caiaphas, he was simply phenomenal.....

Ah, found some! Yay!

Hmm, not the clearest version... let's try a properly recorded one!

Of course, the highlight for me was the drummer... Virgil Donati. An absolute god in Australian drumming circles!

I love Superstar, I could go on for years on that as well... but there are other things on my mind right now, so to them!

You offer Gorillaz? Well, that also earns cool points. The problem with them is that they do too many downright cool songs, so picking just one isn't easy... but I'd go for the introduction to the band in the first place. Clint Eastwood.

But what I'm really feeling at the moment is oddness wrapped in surrealism in a subtle sledgehammer tied around a fish. In yellow. And, to that end..... I present Primus (and their earlier line-up, resurrected as Sausage, for some reason...)

Riddles Are Abound Tonight....

Winona's Big Brown Beaver....

Shake Hands With Beef...

Mr Krinkle....

Tommy The Cat... classic. Try playing this on a bass! Spawned the classic lines "Hey, you know that song Tommy the Cat?" "I dunno... can you sing it so I remember?" ".... uh..... no.".

And... Jerry Was A Racecar Driver.

And, think, kids today might only know Primus as "that band that does the South Park theme...", rather than the litmus test for real bass players. Here's a typical conversation between a real bass player and a newbie or try-hard.

Newbie: "Wow, Flea is the best bass player in the world!"
Bass Player: "Who the hell is Flea?"

Oh, yeah. And Primus sucks!!

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
all points simultaneously

[yt]ViqCO35OfNU[/yt]

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@Chris Parker, Christopher here is one for you.. because you have gone to the realm of weird yet you had not even mentioned The Residents? pffft that is sacrilege.. well I will put you right with that you are forgiven my child hahah :)

this is Elvis as filtered through my dreams.. welcome into my head :D

[yt]5p3hdT4vmBg[/yt]

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
this page is breaking my internet broadband?? need to turn over to a new page quickly

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@Chris Parker, Christopher here is one for you.. because you have gone to the realm of weird yet you had not even mentioned The Residents? pffft that is sacrilege.. well I will put you right with that you are forgiven my child hahah :)

this is Elvis as filtered through my dreams.. welcome into my head :D

[yt]5p3hdT4vmBg[/yt]

Ha, fantastic! I didn't think I'd gone into "weird" territory yet... but here's how Elvis really should sound, if he had a real classic heavy reggae band behind him. Hmm.

Just listen to how tight the bass is with the lead guitar during the solo....

Ah, fun times....

EDIT: Couldn't miss this....

The original version of that song is here, by the way:

And completely unrelated to lyrics, here's the entire film that that second last clip comes from, which is what happens when you give the Doug Anthony Allstars money to make a documentary on the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.... I just couldn't resist putting this up!

I make no apologies, I love this stuff.... what do you mean, weird?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is a brilliant guitar duet that I have been listening to a lot of late. It is like lavender oil, distilled from Blues-based-guitar-talent, soothing my tensions in these past weeks where work has been stressful, wedding plans have been providing stresses of their own, illnesses have been striking me and my missus and, most sadly, elderly relations passing away:

[yt]KGbYqFFTEyY[/yt]

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@Chris Parker, ah you have given me zepp so you are all good with me Christopher :D only if you want a good zepp cover you must choose a good zepp song first :) this is one of my favourites I have given you Karen recently and but thsi is different [yt]ljbBayiWglg[/yt]

I feel more the original anydays it is my top listen

and yes I understand tight bass.. you like bass you play bass? then you would know this easily :) this is bass :)
[yt]RJfiYdQcQtc[/yt]

for technical best bassline it is Rush I think no? what is your favourite bass?
[yt]5nmOMo4OPi4[/yt]

since you had mentioned elvis then there is this.. mmmmmmm fretless :D I love fretless
[yt]7KL8qf2qG6c[/yt]

tho all my favourite basslines are a mosaic of how my childhood was lost to me.. I feel this riff I sing the bassline haha..

dont count your chickens cos theyre never gonna hatch
[yt]JxWohpJfCUw[/yt]

whatever i do to make it real its never enough
[yt]l5Cqp3pnE98[/yt]

Latest Discussions