Status
Not open for further replies.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kimo Fereira uses "Shaolin" in the name of his style of Kempo but I don't think his lineage is through Mr. Villari/USSD.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
And that parent is Profesor William Chow. I wonder what he would think of Kempo/Kenpo today?

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kimo Fereira uses "Shaolin" in the name of his style of Kempo but I don't think his lineage is through Mr. Villari/USSD.

No, he doesn't.

His style is Kempo-Jutsu. You may be thinking of Tom Ingargiola, who runs Shaolin Self Defense Centers, who is affiliated with Professor Kimo.

Professor Kimo's lineage is through Walter Godin, Martin Buell and others.

Matt

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What would Professor Chow say about Kempo today? Well I can tell you that he was not happy with many in the kempo world who trained only briefly with him then went on to profit from his name...

It appears that one of the only people who did not profit from Professor Chow's name, was the Professor himself!

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What would Professor Chow say about Kempo today? Well I can tell you that he was not happy with many in the kempo world who trained only briefly with him then went on to profit from his name...

It appears that one of the only people who did not profit from Professor Chow's name, was the Professor himself!

Yeah I've heard that, which was a shame given the man's talent and contribution to Kempo. At least GM Kuaho never abandoned him

Iron Leopard

Green Belt
Reaction score
I wonder if chow were teaching today ...would he be making money. or would he disdain that?

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wonder if chow were teaching today ...would he be making money. or would he disdain that?

Prof. Chow didn't make very much money then, and wouldn't have now. Because he didn't compromise on his instruction.
His was one of the schools of hard knocks. No children running around in black belts. No kids birthday parties. No 12-18 month black belt academies. In his 40+ years of teaching, only a handful of individuals made it to black belt with him.
If he was alive and teaching now, it would be in a park or YMCA somewhere, because he couldn't keep enough students to pay the rent on a nice commercial location. He probably woudn't have it any other way.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Amen to that!
icon14.gif

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But it does suck when you have some quality teachings to share and cannot do so much because of lack of money. Balance is required.

Respectfully,
marlon

Iron Leopard

Green Belt
Reaction score
yeah I agree there has to be balance. you must not cheapen the teachings and still be able to make enough money to teach full time!

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Prof. Chow didn't make very much money then, and wouldn't have now. Because he didn't compromise on his instruction.
His was one of the schools of hard knocks. No children running around in black belts. No kids birthday parties. No 12-18 month black belt academies. In his 40+ years of teaching, only a handful of individuals made it to black belt with him.
If he was alive and teaching now, it would be in a park or YMCA somewhere, because he couldn't keep enough students to pay the rent on a nice commercial location. He probably woudn't have it any other way.

I think that if Prof. Chow was today accepting advanced students to come and train with him for a week for $1000, he would have more people trying to write him checks than he knew what to do with. Would most of them be paying for a picture with the Legend and a cool story? maybe, but they'd pay it. Especially if it turned out to actually to be valuable to the serious ones who came, then demand would be higher.

Who among us here would not be saving our pennies for a chance to do that?

Could he keep a stable student body? A small one, agreed. but with 2-3 visitors per month at a rate like that and he could train his regulars for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions