Serious question here

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When it comes to demonstrations what have you instructors put together for these occassions? I'm curious to know what you put in and maybe why you did it.:asian:

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Our last demo lasted several hours inside the Mall. Our program recycled every 30 minutes. We had a range of our students participate from kids to adults. We wanted to show Kenpo could be for everyone. We had someone narrate the entire time to make sure everyone knew what was going on at all times.

Younger students demostrated mostly kata. We didn't want any parents thinking their little ones might get hurt. Parents tend to judge their kids againts someone elses kid anyway and not what they doing. Besides we didn't want nerveous children loosing motor control and hurting another student.

All of us old farts used each other as crash dummies. We demo'd a tech using several speeds explaning at slow speed then blasting away. The crowd love it when we cut loose! We did falls right on the soft marble too. :rolleyes: Individual Kata was appreciated but didn't impress as much as getting clobbered!

Television filmed the exhibition and did interviews. We handed out alot of school information, but must have missed the mark. I don't think we got any of our new students that year because of the demo. I find most parents consider karate something for their kids but not themselves.

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
At my first tournament, the instructor from another school was showing off his "runing-jumping-flying sidekicky thingy"... anyway he had three or four students on their hands and knees, and three holding a board...

Board holders kept letting the board slip, no break, last attempt (fourth I think), board went flying, kick landed on student's chin, instructor got upset and preceeded to punch the board to splinters.....:confused:

Other tournaments: kata to music :shrug: (not my thing)
two BB did "mirrored" katas, back to back.. pretty cool...

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I do this, I like to pick people from the crowd to make things more interactive. I am not an "entertainer," nor am I interested in exhibition. So my demo's aren't real creative. No music, high jumpy kicks, or board/brick breaks. I have done all these before, but it just isn't my focus now.

So, I like to have about 2-3 students who can aid me, because they no what is going on. I like to pick people out of the crowd to do stuff also, though. I only do things that are combative, and that "work" in a real situation. So, it is vital that the audience feels that what I do "works." By picking random people from the crowd, preferably people who are larger then myself, and demoing, this brings more "realism" to the table, for the crowd doesn't then feel that everything is correographed.

Side note: I do stay alert and aware, though, so I don't pick someone with an ego problem who could be a liability for me. I am not worried about my own safety as much as I am theirs. I don't want to have to put someone down to hard, if I can avoid it. I haven't had a problem so far, though! :D

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by PAUL

Side note: I do stay alert and aware, though, so I don't pick someone with an ego problem who could be a liability for me. I am not worried about my own safety as much as I am theirs. I don't want to have to put someone down to hard, if I can avoid it. I haven't had a problem so far, though! :D

I can see this being a MAJOR thing to be careful about. I have ran across those just at the studio that were that way..and tried to make it difficult for me.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by jeffkyle
I can see this being a MAJOR thing to be careful about. I have ran across those just at the studio that were that way..and tried to make it difficult for me.

I agree...you have to be very careful with this one, which I am! :D