Seniors Signing In

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo
Wait a minute here, that's my act!;)

:rofl: :rofl: Ha ha, he beat you to it.:rofl:

Hey, by the way; I didn't see you post on my chest workout routine in the health secation.standing with my arms folded.

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
:rofl: :rofl: Ha ha, he beat you to it.:rofl:

Hey, by the way; I didn't see you post on my chest workout routine in the health secation.standing with my arms folded.

No, my workouts would never end if I did all the stuff you do. Mine totally last no more that 1.5 hrs for each session, 2-3 times a week. That's upper, and lower!:eek:

I'm old like DC, rememmber?;)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo
No, my workouts would never end if I did all the stuff you do. Mine totally last no more that 1.5 hrs for each session, 2-3 times a week. That's upper, and lower!:eek:

I'm old like DC, rememmber?;)

Mine are only 40 -45 hard minutes. That moves from one exercise to the next. This is how I train 2 or 3 muscle groups in one session. I do one exercise say for the shoulders then move directly to the curls. Then back again, always moving.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey BD! Good to see you!

I think they are speaking of famous seniors who have either published their stuff on tape, dvd, and printed page, and those who hit the lucrative seminar circuit.

Dan

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have done this before on another forum. I see the group of original 7th Degrees at the time of Mr. Parker's death as the true Seniors of his lineage. I cannot address the Tracy lineage, but there were lots of cross overs (Steven LaBounty, Gary Swan, etc.)

The 5th and 6th Degrees under Mr. Parker, who kept training for the last 12 years are getting up there in my estimation. These may be the "Next Generation Seniors" Specifically People like Bob Liles, John Sepulveda, Dian Tanaka, etc. who had years with Mr. Parker and continued to train. Not those who had the occassional lesson or two per year with SGM Parker, and call themselves "his" students. There are some that wear the rank, and may deserve it in someones estimation, but I cannot bring myself to call someone a senior who does not know the techniques, extensions, or who cannot "walk the walk", even if they talk the talk.

We know some promotions were political with hopes of bringing them along later as Mr. Parker began re-solidifying the IKKA in the mid to late 80's. It is unfortunate that some of these instructors did not continue to pursue training with some of the true Seniors available. Time marches on, and I fear any opportunity not to spend time with people like Sigung LaBounty, Sibok Tom Kelly, etc. is an opportunity lost forever.

Just my definition of a "Senior".

Oss,
-Michael
Kenpo-Texas.com

B

bahenlaura

Originally posted by Michael Billings

We know some promotions were political with hopes of bringing them along later as Mr. Parker began re-solidifying the IKKA in the mid to late 80's. It is unfortunate that some of these instructors did not continue to pursue training with some of the true Seniors available. Time marches on, and I fear any opportunity not to spend time with people like Sigung LaBounty, Sibok Tom Kelly, etc. is an opportunity lost forever.

Just my definition of a "Senior".

Oss,
-Michael
Kenpo-Texas.com [/B]

:)

Ooosss Mr. Billings.
I could not have agreed more. I consider myself one of the more fortunate ones to have Si-Bok as my teacher. i Have had the honor of being his students for more than 12 years. He and men like Sigung have wealth of knowledge about our beloved art, its origin, journey and history. they practically helped Mr. parker put the patch on the map. we owe it to ourselves to learn as much as we can from them.

yours in art

Burt E.
:cool:

B

brianhunter

Originally posted by bahenlaura
:)

Ooosss Mr. Billings.
I could not have agreed more. I consider myself one of the more fortunate ones to have Si-Bok as my teacher. i Have had the honor of being his students for more than 12 years. He and men like Sigung have wealth of knowledge about our beloved art, its origin, journey and history. they practically helped Mr. parker put the patch on the map. we owe it to ourselves to learn as much as we can from them.

yours in art

Burt E.
:cool:

yeah what he said!
:iws:
But it is very cool to hear Sibok Tom Kelly talk about Mr Parker and give the whys when he is showing you something. It is amazing to hear some of the stories and reasons behind things in our art.
Mr Conatser is also a wealth of knowledge with a good sense of humor that I hope is around for awhile.

I think everyone has their unique perspective or things to contribute to the art......too bad we cant stop time doesnt seem to be enough!!

K

Katie Simmons

My father Dave Simmons has been in kenpo since 1966, was awarded his eigth degree back belt by Al Tracy, and he regularly contributes to the forum.

K

Kirk

Originally posted by Katie Simmons
My father Dave Simmons has been in kenpo since 1966, was awarded his eigth degree back belt by Al Tracy, and he regularly contributes to the forum.

And we're glad that he does.

Dave Simmons

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sigung86
Yeah! Even if he is an old guy! :rolleyes:

Hi Dave! Don't hurt me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dan "Also an old guy" Farmer :rofl:

Did I see gray hair on your picture? Hmmmmm... Remember I am "ronin" in a Kenpo world. LOL

Regards,

Dave Simmons

:lol:

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dave Simmons
Did I see gray hair on your picture? Hmmmmm... Remember I am "ronin" in a Kenpo world. LOL

Regards,

Dave Simmons

:lol:

Dave,

You may be "ronin", but I still love ya, man!

Gray hair in my picture????? Hmm.... Gonna have to get to work with Photoshop and fix that! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dan

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My father Dave Simmons has been in kenpo since 1966, was awarded his eigth degree back belt by Al Tracy.

I thought he "gave back" his double promotion 8th Degree to Al Tracy!

:confused:

K

Katie Simmons

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
I thought he "gave back" his double promotion 8th Degree to Al Tracy!

:confused:

With all due respect, there's quite a difference between my father breaking away from Al Tracy and my father throwing 37 years of instruction back in Al's face. A person can't just "give back" rank; they've already earned it. Rank isn't a gift. In point of fact, I know that dad doesn't care about the degree of his belt. A blackbelt is a blackbelt is a blackbelt. My only reason for mentioning the 8th degree was to let everyone know that he is considered a senior, 1st generation from Al Tracy. :soapbox:
So chill, big guy!:D

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
With all due respect, there's quite a difference between my father breaking away from Al Tracy and my father throwing 37 years of instruction back in Al's face. A person can't just "give back" rank; they've already earned it. Rank isn't a gift. In point of fact, I know that dad doesn't care about the degree of his belt. A blackbelt is a blackbelt is a blackbelt. My only reason for mentioning the 8th degree was to let everyone know that he is considered a senior, 1st generation from Al Tracy. :soapbox:
So chill, big guy!:D

I made no bones either way about years in training or skill level. (Go back and read carefully!!) All I said was the I "thought" he gave back his promotion to Al Tracy, (nothing descriptive was mentioned) as you seem to imply.

You say a Black Belt is a Black Belt is a Black Belt.... then you didn't think he was a first generation from Al Tracy as a recently promoted 6th, with all that experience?
I don't understand?:confused:

:soapbox:
I don't need to chill.... I live in Arizona! :D

Latest Discussions