Self Defense with a Bat

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just had my annual firearms re-certification, and article 35 (NYS law governing use of force.

Physical Force: Any physical force that does not amount to deadly physical force.

Deadly Physical Force: Physical force that is readily capable of causing death or other serious physical injury ( Defined in article 10 of the penal law).

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Self Defense with a Bat.... will this type of Bat do :D
A54343-BK.JPG

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is a pretty decent thread. Considering how to use a baseball bat offensively and defending against it is very relevant topic. From my own experience, I avoid fights and have never been threatened with a firearm, even though I live in a state where many people carry. I have, however been threatened by a bat ...on more than one occasion. Mostly when I was a lot younger, but that's beside the point. Bats are something that 's available. Angry people grab them, brandish them, and sometimes swing them for real. Thugs and gangstas too. A friend of mine even witnessed a murder in which a bat was the weapon.

So in my Escrima class we train with them, along with other similar weapons such as axe-handles, pieces of pipe, 2 X 4s, or what have you. We call this "palo pesado" (heavy stick). The concepts are similar to what others (Bill, Rich, Blindside) have already discussed. There are a lot of ways to use a bat, and not all are big slow swings. It's a scary weapon.

monk64

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There's the old story about how King Sho Shin disarmed the Okinawans and they took agricultural tools and made them into weapons. Allegedly this is the origin of the nunchaku, tonfa, etc. though how true that story is, I don't know.

Is there a modern parallel? I doubt we will see anyone doing an Cellphone Form and iPads are pretty expensive to practice with. Though it would be neat to drop back and use the Shattering Gorilla Glass technique.

The only items I'm likely to have that would be useful as weapons (if I'm not carrying something designed to be a weapon) would be:

• a sturdy leather belt - not that I would have any idea if/how to use it as a weapon and the one I normally wear is not designed to be taken off quickly
  • car keys - I've seen the "key between each finger" rake in self defense books though I question the practicality, not to mention speed of deployment
  • perhaps a pen or pencil - not that I carry anything other than your typical Bic

It would be neat if there was a system of modern parallels to that old Okinawan story, though I suspect there are not.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The only items I'm likely to have that would be useful as weapons (if I'm not carrying something designed to be a weapon) would be:

• a sturdy leather belt - not that I would have any idea if/how to use it as a weapon and the one I normally wear is not designed to be taken off quickly
  • car keys - I've seen the "key between each finger" rake in self defense books though I question the practicality, not to mention speed of deployment
  • perhaps a pen or pencil - not that I carry anything other than your typical Bic.

Do you carry a briefcase? The right kind of briefcase or attache case can be an excellent weapon for defense and offense, used much like a buckler or "dinner-plate" shield. Women can use their handbags in much the same way, as well as swinging them by the strap.

WingChunIan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If I happen to carrying something like a baseball bat and feel the need to use it, I'd employ it one handed and aim predominantly at the ankles, shins and knees from distance and the wrists, elbows and head at close range. As a Wing Chun practitioner the power generation and shapes of the baat cham do (butterfly swords) lend themselves to the single handed use of a bat that is weighted away from the grip (even if they are shorter).

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ian, I don't think any of that is a good idea.

Firstly, the ankles and shins and even knee are very far targets, even if you have a bat. You may even be able to reach those targets with your own feet before you can with the bat. The elbows, fore-arms, shoulders, and head will be much closer and more likely targets at any range, though I wouldn't recommend a blow to the head, as that's very likely to be lethal.

Secondly, baat cham dao cannot even be compared to a bat. There's simply no way you could use a bat in the same, or a similar manner - it is far too long, heavy, and unbalanced. I'd say using it with two hands like a bo or riot baton, as others have discussed already, would be infinitely safer and more practical.

Those are just my impressions, though. I have no experience in this area, and may not be properly envisioning what you are.

Edit: Oops. I need to pay attention to when these threads were last updated. Sorry again for digging up a 2-3 week old thread.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ian, I don't think any of that is a good idea.

Firstly, the ankles and shins and even knee are very far targets, even if you have a bat. You may even be able to reach those targets with your own feet before you can with the bat. The elbows, fore-arms, shoulders, and head will be much closer and more likely targets at any range, though I wouldn't recommend a blow to the head, as that's very likely to be lethal.

Secondly, baat cham dao cannot even be compared to a bat. There's simply no way you could use a bat in the same, or a similar manner - it is far too long, heavy, and unbalanced. I'd say using it with two hands like a bo or riot baton, as others have discussed already, would be infinitely safer and more practical.

Those are just my impressions, though. I have no experience in this area, and may not be properly envisioning what you are.

Edit: Oops. I need to pay attention to when these threads were last updated. Sorry again for digging up a 2-3 week old thread.
A crack to the head followed by a crack at the knee can work fine, though.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the fashion for ladies handbags to be huge things these days probably just asking your attacker to hold yours for a minute would give you enough of an advantage to run away. The weight of the handbag would be a serious deterent to them running! I wouldn't suggest swinging it at an attacker though, you could do yourself a serious injury! :)
images

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Funny thing is the other day I was in the Salvation Army store buying a new TV for out on the deck ($15 for a 32 inch!) and started looking at the used baseball bats. I didn't grow up playing baseball, and I gotta tell you it's not the most natural thing for someone who didn't grow up with it. So yeah, I've got a cricket bat in my car instead. But it's actually used for cricket, as well as a coconut bow cricket bat I made myself for playing on the beach with the cuz. Better weapon than a baseball bat.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There are plenty of techniques for the hanbo in the Takamatsuden arts that translate well with a baseball bat. I'd rather use it that way then just swinging it around slugger style. PLus I'd reverse it and strike with the bottom, knobby part. Less momentum is needed to swing it that way, and there is less surface area for when you connect.

Latest Discussions