Knife of Baseball Bat?

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
The knife has always been the most widely used self defense tool for a normal civilian. It is small and simple to carry.

However, baseball bats are becoming very popular in street fights and even gang wars. In fact, the baseball bat is probably used the most in gang fights besides guns. At least I see it used a lot in the big cities near my house.

Anyway, if you had NO choice and you have to fight a street fight using one of the two weapons, which one would you choose? Let’s try to broaden the question a little and not limit it to street fights. How about fights in the wild, which weapon would you choose between the two to defend your self against wild animals?

To the following challenges, state which weapon you would use for each battle;

Black Belt Martial Artist in a Striking Art (Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Kickboxing, ect.)

Black Belt Martial Artist in a Grappling Art (Wrestling, Judo, Ju Jitsu, ect.)

Huge Man over 300 pounds that knows a little fighting but a lot of BRUTE strength

Angry 130 pound Alpha Male Wolf

Hungary 155 pound Male Puma

Enraged 150 pound Male Chimpanzee

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Some of those situations you picked are rather interesting...

Against any human, I'd prefer the weapon with a longer reach- the bat in this case. If you count a machete as a knife, then I'd take that instead (assuming I don't have to worry about legal consequences).

Fighting animals is always an odd case compared to humans, but I think the longer, more visible weapon would be a better deterent and do a better job of keeping you out of harm's way (if it's possible to stay out of harm's way with a 155lb. puma). FYI, I 'm pretty sure there's never been a documented case of a wild grey wolf attacking a human in North America. In the case of the chimp, the best tactic is usually to throw some food on the ground and run away. A chimp would have to be rabid to bother running after you in an attempt to hurt you, and they don't tend to get rabies very often.

Ok, funny story: I once actually had to get out of the way of a scared chimpanzee that was running loose at the LA zoo. Some moron had thrown a rope into the chimp enclosure, and he had already bitten one of the zoo keepers who had tried to coax him into a trap. The idiot who got bit (probably did something to deserve it) stood up on a bench and told the crowd "everyone run, he's dangerous." :rolleyes: I was much more worrried about a crowd of stampeding, stupid humans than I was about some scared ape, so I convinced my mom and my younger sister (I was 12 at the time) to head away from the crowd. Unfortunately the chimp had the same idea as us, and we met up with him. He then decided he wanted to follow us. I dropped my half-eaten ice cream butterfinger bar on the ground in the hopes of distracting him while we ran, and he stopped to pick it up. No weapon of any kind needed except common sense.

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The knife against any human and the bat against any animal, though I'd prefer a staff or stick or almost anything else. Baseball bat is a weapon that is easily obtainable and that's why it gets used. Not the greatest weapon. It takes both hands to use and In close one can jam it up, or if an attacker misses a swing, there's a pretty good lag, in comparison to knife, stick or whatever to get another swing off. In other words, dont miss. If one were going to use a bat, I'd say shorten up the stance, feet closer together, get low, and swing for the knees.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Against the Hungarian Puma...I'd use the knife. Against a Romanian puma, the baseball bat. I've heard the latter is less aggressive. :wink2:

Actually...it'd be the knife in any instance where I thought lethal force was required. Against the wolf, puma and chimp, neither weapon would work that well...but I'd take the knife in the forlorn hope I could kill the animal before he eviscerated me.

Regards,

Steve

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kane said:
The knife has always been the most widely used self defense tool for a normal civilian. It is small and simple to carry.

QUOTE]
Actually I believe the stick has been the most widely used self defense tool. I believe that English records prior to 1900 show the cudgel as the most common weapon used in homicides on that island. I suspect that the low cost, easy access and ability to slip beneath the radar of law enforcement make the stick the most commonly used self defense tool.

Jeff

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
To the following challenges, state which weapon you would use for each battle;
OK, I will.
Black Belt Martial Artist in a Striking Art (Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Kickboxing, ect.)
Fully loaded/ignited Flame Thrower.
:flame:
Huge Man over 300 pounds that knows a little fighting but a lot of BRUTE strength
Angry 130 pound Alpha Male Wolf

Hungary 155 pound Male Puma

I'd go ahead and do the last one, but I think you pick up on the trend.

Your Brother
John

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Brother John said:
OK, I will.

I'd go ahead and do the last one, but I think you pick up on the trend.

Your Brother
John
But my moral side would get to me.....and I'd have to beat the flames out with the baseball bat.
All that screamin would just get on my nerves after a while................I think.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anything with a large advantage in body mass to me I would say the knife. It negates the effect of muscle insulating against impact. I would say that the current common usage of the baseball bat is due to it's acceptance in everyday life. It is a formidable weapon that usually won't get construed as a concealed weapon.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OULobo said:
Anything with a large advantage in body mass to me I would say the knife. It negates the effect of muscle insulating against impact. I would say that the current common usage of the baseball bat is due to it's acceptance in everyday life. It is a formidable weapon that usually won't get construed as a concealed weapon.

I agree... I see local bangers wandering around in groups with kids following them carrying aluminum bats... who's gonna take a kids bat away from him, but its painfully obvious the bats are for the bangers... I mean, 2 kids, carrying 2 bats each, no gloves, no balls... Uh huh, they are playing baseball.

Against the people... I would use whichever the situation warranted. Each weapon has its strengths and weaknesses.

Against the wolf, The bat. I wouldnt wanna get TOO close to it, and the bat would help with that.

Against the puma, probably the knife, lashed to the bat.

Against the Chimp. A banana flavored bat.

H

hkg

id use my crazy tiger teeth! no seriously id use a bat agaisnt both as of the longer reach but actually havin said that if either got in close then a knife!

H

hkg

thanks alot. so hows this belt system done is it how many posts u do?

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"gun" as an answer for each one, although ideally I'd be able to figure out why the wolf, puma, or chimp were pissed and behaviorally placate them. (For an enraged chimp, if you submit, they tend to thump you a few times but then calm down a little bit.) If "gun" (and hopefully being a good shot) is not an option, it would depend on whether I thought they could take the knife or bat away from me.

T

Tydive

In my experience very few attackers have knives and even fewer have a clue how to use them. Bats, sticks, tire irons, chains etc.. are much more common. Now it's been quite a few years, but I don't think that has changed much.

Vs Humans I would pick a knife / sword. Mainly because I know how to use blades and the rest of my body at the same time. A knife is a fantastic distraction and very deadly.

Vs Animals the Bat. Because I want to bash the sucker on the nose before it gets it's teeth into me. Also I can jam the bat into it's mouth while kicking the crap out of it.

Also keep in mind that if you use a baseball bat as a weapon you should wield it like an axe. Two hands spaced out, dominant hand on the heavy end. You swing with the handle end, not the heavy end of the bat. Also keep in mind all the stuff that works with a Bo works with a Bat, people forget straight strikes and pressure locks which can be lots of fun.

Trent

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would say it will depend upon your training and your opponent; however, if it were me and I had to choose one-- the knife.

Reason being, I'm more comfortable with a bladed weapon, although I've trained in both for quite awhile. Further, there is far less room for error on the part of your opponent more room for error on the part of yourself regarding your opponent if you have a sharp edge and point. Just a touch during dynamic conditions and the skin is open, blood flows. Much more pressure and at least muscle is severed, a good target and an artery and/or organ is compromised. Also, believe it or not, a decent strike with even a well constructed 3" folder will cleave through bone in living tissue astonishingly well.

With a bat a great crushing blow can be delivered, but it is far slower, and position is much more important for and real damage. Unless you work specifically with a bat for combat the timing is very different even than another stick due to its weight and shape. Sure you can punyo close up and do some grappling, but the damage is more annoying than anything else unless you're very skilled, and I still have my knife. I wise assailant will rush a bat wielder to close distance, then that weapon is nearly moot with most people. And if the defender is more experienced with it, it now becomes a liablity for the attacker instead of a weapon.

Just food for thought.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

what about the huge man over 300 pounds that has a brute strength and training?
(aka me :wink: )

honestly...it depends...for me...i'd use the baseball bat for most situations...i know how to use a baseball bat and i've had very little training with offensive knifework...also i could use the bat as short staff and do some takedowns and joint locking/controls with it...

but i know a guy who's dad is a fencing instructor and he's been fencing since he could walk...and i've seen him use a knife during self-defense practice and i'm sorry but, i defy anybody to apply a successful defense against him with a knife...if you manage to grab the hand that's using the knife, before you even think about disarming, it is in the other hand and you've been cut 3-4 times...my point...if i were him...i'd go with the knife

A

AaronLucia

I'd choose a knife in a heartbeat..

While bats are nice for range, knives are just..eek! :)

Silat Student

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Bat, lashing out at any limb the guy trys to hit me with.

Knife, since I'll probably end up at close range and unable to effectively employ the bat.

Knife, Most Brute Strengthers I've met try to grapple.

All the Animals

My friends scoped 7mm Savage Arms 110. From what I've seen (and thankfully never experienced) fighting animals is difficult and extremely unpleasant.

Latest Discussions