Self Defense vs Potentially Rabid Dog

Discussion in 'Security and Bouncers' started by Mou Meng Gung Fu, May 5, 2017.

1. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Do we really need this? If you don't like what he says put him on ignore and then we can get back to a good discussion.

• Like Like x 1
  2. oaktree

oaktree Master of Arts

Mou meng, I don't troll you I ask questions and correct you if you post something incorrectly there is a difference.

3. oaktree

oaktree Master of Arts

I got a dislike because apparently someone didn't get the two Disney references.

4. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise MT Moderator Staff Member

One thing I know for sure is that if you are up against a dog it is probably going to be painful. They are so quick, so very fast in comparison to us. My dog is around 85 lbs. He looks like a wolf and frankly if he doesn't want me to touch him I can't and I am a pretty fast person. So the advice above about getting something between you and it is very sound. Having a distance weapon would be very, very useful in this situation.

5. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

Or a vacuum cleaner.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

It's common in some states in the US. However, cases usually involve a fox or Racoon spreading it to a dog. I've heard more cases of rabid foxes and racoons than dogs. Those are only the cases that make the news. Georgia gets around 373 cases a year. Texas is around 683 cases a year Georgia dwarfs most states in rabies.

Some people get it from bats. We have a lot of people here so it's rare in terms of the likelihood that you will get it. 300+ cases seems like a lot but it's very small in comparison to the state population. we have a lot of wildlife here and politicians see cleaning up rabies as not being worth spending the necessary money to get rid of it. every state would have to do the same.

7. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Rabies here was eradicated in 1922 apart from bat rabies which is actually a different strain and very rare in the UK and for which, luckily, there's a vaccine against bat rabies (Some bats in Europe carry a rabies virus called European Bat Lyssavirus (EBLV). EBLV is not the classical rabies which is usually associated with dogs; classical rabies has never been recorded in a native European bat species... from the Bat Conservation Trust) There's been human deaths from rabies here when people have been bitten by usually a rabid dog abroad, I've seen film of someone with it and it's horrendous.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. eddiecharette

eddiecharette White Belt

Experts say in such situations one should stay calm and walk away rather than run. It is wise to avoid confrontation with packs. In the case of a normal dog chase, sending calming signals would be signaling the dog your peaceful intent (yawning, licking your lips, avoiding eye contact, standing sideways..). Staring, running or yelling would be disastrous. Crouch low and feign picking small rock as the last resort.
    If the attack seems unavoidable, use an object-a backpack, a stick or say a shirt wrapped around your forearm to fend off the attack.
    Reach a hospital as fast as possible, get rabies shots, and get the bites treated against infection.
    Past week, my dog was chasing a raccoon in the yard. He finally had the intruder defeated. But I was worried for my doggie since raccoons carry a lot of viruses causing rabies. To be on the safer side, I sought guidance from wildlife removal services toronto on the possibilities of getting rabies.
    A touch or their saliva is contagious and any contact with an open wound might be very risky.

9. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

Thanks. I have both movies rented and sitting on the table ready to be watched. Just ruined it for me.

What's next, you're going to tell me Bruce Willis is really the dead guy?

• Funny Funny x 3