Self Defense Technique Design.....

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Our Self Defense Techniques were designed to cause an opponent to react in a specific way so that you can reasonably forecast the sequence of action that you are to follow.

What do we need to do to enhance this?

:confused:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7
Our Self Defense Techniques were designed to cause an opponent to react in a specific way so that you can reasonably forecast the sequence of action that you are to follow.

Devise a plan for what you want to happen. If you want you opponent to loose his balance and fall on some sharp rock then I would not advise hitting him in the groin (or any other posture affecting moves). Reversly if you want to end a fight by doubling the guy over I wouldn't upper cut the guy in the face after succsessfully doubeling him over. "Sword and Hammer" is all well and good to teach body reactions; however, you are better off choosing to do a Hammer then sword to the back of the neck or reversly, a sword then left heelpalm to the chin.(which is of course "tripping arrow" on the otherside). I will now calmly wait for the barrage of insults...
Sean

K

kenpo12

I think that if the techniques are preformed properly than nothing needs to be done for enhancement. If I were to point out a big flaw in what I see people do, is people speed through their techniques without monitoring or hitting stances or hitting with power. It's not hard to smack a guy 10 times really fast, but I'd rather drop my opponent with one hard shot, cuz, well...I'm lazy. LOL. I think the techiniques are fine as written but I've seen way too many people speed demon through techniques without even giving the opponent time to react. There are times to move super quick and there are times to wait a second to see what your opponent does. That's just my opinion.

K

Kenpo Yahoo

I think the techiniques are fine as written but I've seen way too many people speed demon through techniques without even giving the opponent time to react.

And why would you want to give your opponent TIME to react? If the techniques are fine as written, then they will take into account the NATURAL reaction of your opponents body when using a specific sequence of strikes. Otherwise if your opponent doesn't GIVE YOU the proper reaction your technique falls apart.

"Sword and Hammer" is all well and good to teach body reactions; however, you are better off choosing to do a Hammer then sword to the back of the neck or reversly, a sword then left heelpalm to the chin.(which is of course "tripping arrow" on the otherside).

I don't guess I understand why I'm better off by hammering to the groin and then hitting to the back off the neck.

K

kenpo12

And why would you want to give your opponent TIME to react? If the techniques are fine as written, then they will take into account the NATURAL reaction of your opponents body when using a specific sequence of strikes. Otherwise if your opponent doesn't GIVE YOU the proper reaction your technique falls apart.

Yes, and no. Timing cannot be written into the technique. It can be taught by a qualified instructor, but the same timing does not apply for every situation. Let me give you an example of what I mean.
If I do Five Swords and I do the block and chop and my opponent flies backwards a foot or so, I need to wait a second before I do the heel palm or else he won't be there for it. I can either wait for him to rush back in and then fire it, or I can shuffle after him with the heel palm. In doing so I'm not changing the technique but I'm monitoring and timing my strikes.

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score

I would say a platform that supports such enhancements. In general Kenpo doesn't seem to be designed to encourage innovation and updating within the system. After all you're spending the majority of your life just trying to complete the 16 tech curriculum or 24 for that matter. The structure is designed to achieve a particular outcome. To me that outcome isn't to eventually "enhance" the existing techniques. In essence, I guess I'm saying is that structure and traditionalism has tighten its fingers around the neck of American Kenpo. Even the Tracy's have A,B,C,D & E versions on how to pee. Those that do innovate are called on their disloyalty to the genious of the SGM. I love the system, but this complaint, in my opinion, is basically why most go out side of the system to get a breath of fresh air and to see updated, innovated information. And not because of the bs, "your instructor just isn't that good" arguement that most give.

The system is designed to support the heirarchy and that is both our strength and our downfall because our Seniors are primarily just trying to teach what they already know and not introduce anything "new". That's one of the many reasons I do respect Paul Mills, Doc Chape'l, Skip Hancock, Ron Braughton and others that are to the left of center.

jb:asian:

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by jbkenpo
Those that do innovate are called on their disloyalty to the genious of the SGM.

Yeah, my insructor has been dealing with this for a while now. That's why he doesn't belong to any organization. The funny thing is Mr. Parker supported what my insructor was doing but noone else does.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kenpo Yahoo

I don't guess I understand why I'm better off by hammering to the groin and then hitting to the back off the neck.
Well, it keeps your opponent headed in the same direction. The Tech Sword and Hammer, gives you two directions. My question to you is, why one and then the other?

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo_cory
Yeah, my insructor has been dealing with this for a while now. That's why he doesn't belong to any organization. The funny thing is Mr. Parker supported what my insructor was doing but noone else does.

I actually have all of the issues of Full Contact with his articles and photos in them. What would define as "what he's doing" or what his primary direction is that others might not have supported? He was a high ranking Pick Black Belt from the Pacific Northwest for a long time, right?

E

Elfan

Originally posted by Touch'O'Death
Devise a plan for what you want to happen. If you want you opponent to loose his balance and fall on some sharp rock then I would not advise hitting him in the groin (or any other posture affecting moves). Reversly if you want to end a fight by doubling the guy over I wouldn't upper cut the guy in the face after succsessfully doubeling him over. "Sword and Hammer" is all well and good to teach body reactions; however, you are better off choosing to do a Hammer then sword to the back of the neck or reversly, a sword then left heelpalm to the chin.(which is of course "tripping arrow" on the otherside). I will now calmly wait for the barrage of insults...
Sean

So in less words, choose you're tactics to support your strategy?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo12
Yes, and no. Timing cannot be written into the technique. It can be taught by a qualified instructor, but the same timing does not apply for every situation. Let me give you an example of what I mean.
If I do Five Swords and I do the block and chop and my opponent flies backwards a foot or so, I need to wait a second before I do the heel palm or else he won't be there for it. I can either wait for him to rush back in and then fire it, or I can shuffle after him with the heel palm. In doing so I'm not changing the technique but I'm monitoring and timing my strikes.

If the guy moves back far enough where you can no longer reach him, then he can't reach you either right? So, why wait around??? Get the heck out of there! Why stand around, so he can come back at you???

Mike

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by jbkenpo
I actually have all of the issues of Full Contact with his articles and photos in them. What would define as "what he's doing" or what his primary direction is that others might not have supported? He was a high ranking Pick Black Belt from the Pacific Northwest for a long time, right?

He was in Mr. Pick's organization for a while and received his 5th black from Mr. Pick. Since then he's kinda gone his own route and made his own innovations to the art that have certain other black belts in the system that don't even know him saying "Well, I don't agree with that because he doesn't have the authority to do that." I don't want to name any names or go into details on the forum but I would be more than happy to talk with you through PMs or email or something.

K

Kenpo Yahoo

Well, it keeps your opponent headed in the same direction. The Tech Sword and Hammer, gives you two directions. My question to you is, why one and then the other?

It has been my experience that hitting one exposes the other. It doesn't matter in which order the strikes are done.

K

kenpo12

If the guy moves back far enough where you can no longer reach him, then he can't reach you either right? So, why wait around??? Get the heck out of there! Why stand around, so he can come back at you???

I don't dissagree but I'm not saying that the guy is out of range necessarily he may just be out of contact penetration range. I'm also not saying you're standing around, I'm talking about timing, as in tenths of seconds, not hitting a guy and standing around, c'mon.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Practice. Perfectly of course.
Practice makes permanent.
Perfect practice makes perfect permanent.

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by cdhall
Practice. Perfectly of course.
Practice makes permanent.
Perfect practice makes perfect permanent.

Nothing like an old cliche to put everything in perspective..;)

O

ob2c

Originally posted by Touch'O'Death
The Tech Sword and Hammer, gives you two directions. My question to you is, why one and then the other?

S&H is for a right flank, left shoulder grab. If the grab is an assault, the purpose is to hold you in position for a strike. The path of the handsword to his neck is also a check for his strike if it is already launched. If not, either strike (neck or groin) would be effective. But striking the groin first would leave you open to his attack, which, if launched at the same time as the grab, would probably land before yours.

M

MisterMike

Originally posted by ob2c
S&H is for a right flank, left shoulder grab. If the grab is an assault, the purpose is to hold you in position for a strike. The path of the handsword to his neck is also a check for his strike if it is already launched. If not, either strike (neck or groin) would be effective. But striking the groin first would leave you open to his attack, which, if launched at the same time as the grab, would probably land before yours.

I agree. We don't have any defenses against a grab where we directly strike the groin. We always canel off the other hand (Gripping Talon) then strike the groin.

Also, Sword and Hammer is kind of a prelude to Falcons of Force don't ya think? We hit the throat first there as well.

It's all good :asian:

O

ob2c

Originally posted by kenpo12
If I were to point out a big flaw in what I see people do, is people speed through their techniques without monitoring or hitting stances or hitting with power. ... There are times to move super quick and there are times to wait a second to see what your opponent does.

I agree with that. Five Swords was used as an example in another post, so I'll use it too. The initial block and handsword are done fast, as is the third move- left finger thrust to his eyes. The finger thrust doesn't require a lot of power to achieve its desired effect. In fact, he'll probably flinch back and distend his abdomen even if you don't make contact. So you don't have lock out the forward bow.

However, you could make the third strike a power strike and solidly lock out the forward bow. The timeing is slightly slower, so I prefer the transitional stance here, not locked out.

The right neutral bow and uppercut is a power strike, which bends him forward and sets up your next strike. Left foot to 4:30 into a right forward bow with left outward handsword to his left mastoid. This forward bow could be either transitional or power also. I like the power, or locked out stance for two reasons as it relates to this discussion. First, it allows him the time to react, bending forward from the uppercut. Second, if done too quickly, the handsword and crane (next move) more resemble a reach and grab than strike and crane. You not only loose the effect of the strike, but reaching for an opponent who hasn't had time to react could effect your ballance.

You can do a lot of changeups with Five Swords, but you have to consider the effects of timeing on any changes. The reaction will probably be there, if not you compensate. Same if it varries in timeing or intensity with different opponents. But even with an immediate reaction, it takes time for the movement it causes to complete. I think the challenge is to judge the motion and te timeing and use the proper tools to deal with both.

Latest Discussions