Techniques: Change or Modification?

K

Kenpo Yahoo

Are there any EPAK techniques that you feel are outdated? Are there any techniques that would work better if they were modified slightly? Please explain.

For instance in another thread someone brought up a combination attack Brown Belt technique, it was suggested by another poster that the tech. might work better if the attack was a right-left punch, instead of a left-right punch. Does anyone else have a technique that they would like to discuss?

OP
M

MisterMike

I would vote for the gun techniques. I think they are a little unrealistic as they do not gain complete control of the weapon.

I think they could be modified to work better. But they were not original techniqes, as they came from Form 6.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by MisterMike
I would vote for the gun techniques. I think they are a little unrealistic as they do not gain complete control of the weapon.

I think they could be modified to work better. But they were not original techniqes, as they came from Form 6.

That the gun techniques and knive techniques are interchangable to some degree.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by MisterMike

Mr. Speakman told us in Dec 2002 in a seminar that he teaches what he got from Mr. Parker with 5 exceptions. He changed Shielding Hammer and he changed 4 of the 5 knife/lance techniques to reflect the knife sparring and knifework Mr. Parker was doing with Mr. Speakman, Mr. Hawkins, Ms. Hale and Mr. Silantri (I think that was the group) in the lessons they took weekly at his house.

I had only seen some of the knife techniques at that point so I can't comment further but Mr. Speakman thought Mr. Parker would have evolved the knife techniques to reflect sparring at some point in the future and I thought he said that Mr. Parker had changed the empty hand similarly in the past which is sort of what led Mr. Speakman to this conclusion.

I'm afraid that is all I know. I hope it was useful, I can't really comment any further and I have seen enough interesting stuff lately to convince me to see more of the system before I personally start making judgements about changing stuff. I have not been through the whole system so I'm not slighting MisterMike or anyone else, I just don't think I'm ready with an evaluation of my own.
:asian:

OP
M

MisterMike

Originally posted by kenpo3631

Yes, I think all of the techniques in Form 6 are related/what-if's.

I think Twisted Rod and Broken Rod are pretty good as they are because they get two hands on the gun hand/arm pretty fast.

Defying the Rod only has you with one hand on the gun hand while you are slicing across the eyes/kicking the opponent. I think this leaves an opening for the opponent to jerk the gun back and out of your grip.

Capturing the Rod starts off good as you are gripping him with 2 hands, but I don't like letting go to do the eye poke. I would prefer to go right into the wrist twist.

My favored gun disarms come from Aiki-Jujutsu, where the focus is more on controlling the hand holding the gun and less on striking/kicking the opponent.

There are more variations for gun disarms than someone using their front hand either directly in front of you or behind you while standing.

Respectfully,

OP
D

dcence

This is my criteria for a technique that needs some modification, updating regardless of system:

(1) Does it flow, on a body not just in the air?
(2) Does it require your opponent to actually cooperate with you (considering an opponent will do the opposite)? In other words, does the sequence of moves within a technique allow for manipulation of the opponent from one move into another against their will?
(3) A technique that at its base must be altered significantly to account for differing angles or paths of execution, i.e, straight vs. roundhouse.
(4) A technique that depends on or does not account for a follow up strike
(5) A technique that depends upon a fully committed attack and leaves you exposed if it is a feint.

Probably the technique that never passed muster with me is Circling Windmills with all of its eye-slices as the opponent just stands there. After trying unsuccessfully to get that technique to rock and seeing so many flounder with this technique, I started asking, "Is there some of this that needs to be rethunk?"

The knife techniques are difficult to do unless the attacker thrusts and leaves his hand out for you. They are nigh impossible if the attacker makes a whipping or snapping (jabbing) attack. The forumula is "divert, seize, control, disarm." I would insert "daze" between divert and seize.

Derek

True2Kenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Fellow Kenpoists,

With the topic of this thread in mind, what do you feel about the knife technique Entwined Lance?

AND what modifications might you have made?

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,
Joshua Ryer
IKKA
UPK Pittsburgh

OP
D

dcence

As pointed out by Mr. C., the interchangibility doesn't stop there.

But, if you are dealing with a knife, you do have to make sure, with whatever move you use, that you won't get cut if the attacker withdraws the knife, cutting on the way out. You can get cut as easily on the way in as on the way out. Any knife technique that does not quickly control at the elbow allows for this danger. For example, try Twisted Rod on me with a knife and I will check your hands, withdraw the knife and cut them on the way out, well before the take-down/disarm. Glancing Lance provides control at the elbow, but Thrusting Lance does not in my opinion. If you don't check the elbow, the knife can cut on the way out.

Do an experiment. Have someone do the thrusting knife techniques on you. Attack, then at their first move see if you can check their hand with your free hand, withdraw the knife before they get to move #2, and cut them on the way out. Just an experiment.

I think Twisted Rod and Broken Rod are pretty good as they are because they get two hands on the gun hand/arm pretty fast.

Defying the Rod only has you with one hand on the gun hand while you are slicing across the eyes/kicking the opponent. I think this leaves an opening for the opponent to jerk the gun back and out of your grip.

Capturing the Rod starts off good as you are gripping him with 2 hands, but I don't like letting go to do the eye poke. I would prefer to go right into the wrist twist.

Gun techniques with one hand don't concern me that much because a gun is bulky and provides for a relataively good grip for even one hand. In fact, I don't like tying up two hands on one of theirs. Their attention will be primarily on that gun and this is a good opportunity for you to "daze" them with one hand while you hold the gun hand with one hand. As long as you are out of the way of the bullet, the disarm can come after you daze them a little with a free hand strike. The disarm is easier on a dazed opponent, than on one with full faculties. Maybe just a different philosophy.

Derek

OP
D

dcence

Hi Josh,

How have you been?

With the topic of this thread in mind, what do you feel about the knife technique Entwined Lance?

You posted this simultaneous with my last post which coincidentally talks about knife techniques. Well here are my thoughts on Entwined Lance --

(1) Strike on first move (I am a believer in "early dazement", especially with weapons involved);
(2) Good attack at the attacker's foundation.

Dislikes:
(1) Too much footwork in the first move to get your angle of deviation -- makes it too slow for a knife defense;
(2) Exposing the width of my body in the first move is dangerous if they thrust, check and then slice back across under my arm (which is a common drill we do);
(3) Works better for a high knife thrust, but abysmally for a low knife thrust (and we don't always really know which it will be, do we);
(4) Letting go of a knife to do an eye-poke. I would hold onto that hand, beat them to a pulp with the rest of the technique and then disarm with the last move;
(5) No check at the elbow to prevent a check/withdraw (see prior post), but this is somewhat mitigated by the strike in the first move, if successful.

Just some thoughts.
Derek

OP
K

kenpo12

Gun techniques with one hand don't concern me that much because a gun is bulky and provides for a relataively good grip for even one hand.

What if you're dealing with an automatic? You can't hold the weapon with one hand if they fire because the slide will cut your hand all up.

OP
K

kenpo12

(4) Letting go of a knife to do an eye-poke. I would hold onto that hand, beat them to a pulp with the rest of the technique and then disarm with the last move;

How do you do this techinique? The way we do it you don't let go of the knife to do the eye poke, infact that's where the disarm comes in.

True2Kenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by dcence
Hi Josh,

How have you been?

You posted this simultaneous with my last post which coincidentally talks about knife techniques. Well here are my thoughts on Entwined Lance --

(1) Strike on first move (I am a believer in "early dazement", especially with weapons involved);
(2) Good attack at the attacker's foundation.

Dislikes:
(1) Too much footwork in the first move to get your angle of deviation -- makes it too slow for a knife defense;
(2) Exposing the width of my body in the first move is dangerous if they thrust, check and then slice back across under my arm (which is a common drill we do);
(3) Works better for a high knife thrust, but abysmally for a low knife thrust (and we don't always really know which it will be, do we);
(5) No check at the elbow to prevent a check/withdraw (see prior post), but this is somewhat mitigated by the strike in the first move, if successful.

Just some thoughts.
Derek

Mr. Ence,

I am doing really well sir! It is great to hear from you. How are you?

I agree with your likes and dislikes. And as one could see from your list (and what I truly feel towards the tech.) the "dislikes" out weigh the "likes".

I just think that if time was given, Mr. Parker would have worked further on the knife and gun techniques and I think this is one area Kenpo is slightly weak, but with work we could greatly improve.

Respectfully,
Joshua Ryer
IKKA
UPK Pittsburgh

OP
B

Brenwulv

Originally posted by kenpo12
What if you're dealing with an automatic? You can't hold the weapon with one hand if they fire because the slide will cut your hand all up.

Would you rather a cut up hand or a hole in your forehead?

Joel

OP
M

MisterMike

The disarm is easier on a dazed opponent, than on one with full faculties. Maybe just a different philosophy.

I think controlling the gun with one hand would be easier if they are stunned/dazed.

Two hands controlling the weapon when they are not.

You still have to daze them before they shoot you, so now you have to do 2 things, control the firearm and stun them, before they pull the trigger or are able to realize your intent and pull it away from you.

I prefer to attack the wrist joint thereby controlling the person so it doesn't become a tug-of-war over the weapon. Even if they are able to punch/kick me once, I still control the gun. Again, just different philosophies/tactics.

:asian:

OP
K

Karazenpo

I'm a police officer (since 1977) and a police defensive tactics instructor, Michael is right. Control of the gun is imperative, both hands should be used if possible. As far as edged weapons are concerned, here goes. The Calibre Press (Charles Remsberg & Dennis Anderson) started hosting Police Survival Seminars for law enforcement personal in the 80's. They have also published several books. They had a extremely professional staff and researched edged weapons thoroughly. Their expert consultant & adviser was Dan Inosanto. Five years of research went into those, both police and civillian, who survived edged weapon attacks (some were trained, some weren't). Their conclusion was 'undisputed' that those who survived had control of the knife weilding arm or hand. They put this concept together with an acronym-G.U.N., meaning Grab-Undo-Neutralize. I will have to go along with this because in police survival training everything is researched for total realism and practicality because the people you are training will most likely face these situations at some time in their carreers. They can't afford to go by theory. They go by 'real world' experiences. If, as an instructor, you teach them something that has no merit, you could be very well sending them to their deaths. Law enforcement personnel are only taught to go empty hand against an edged weapon if the handgun was not accessable at the time. We train officers to expect to see their own blood. There is a 90 percent chance or better that you will be cut so this is the mindset we give them. I teach my kempo students the same way. Now, nothing is 100 per cent, so it is possible on a bare arm or wrist where someone is bleeding or very sweaty one could lose their grip on the knife hand.
Some others may come back at me and say, 'well I used this or that and it worked'. My answer to that is 'anything can work' but would it be classified as a legitimate knife technique? I know of a police officer who was a golden gloves boxer who threw a right hook at a guy who held a gun on him (he was interviewed by Remsberg & Anderson), the dude was knocked out before he hit the ground! It worked but it wouldn't be taught as a gun technique. Respectfully Shihan Joe Shuras

OP
E

Elfan

Did the reserach show a relashionship between survivial rates and wheather the knife was used in a "slashing" vs "stabbing" attack?

OP
K

Karazenpo

From what I can recall, there were as varied as the attackers. Emotionally disturbed people (EDP's) with their overhead or 'buzzsaw attacks (Anthony Perkins "Pyscho" type), to straight in thrusts and slashes. I would like to also point out that some of the best if not the best at knife fighters are the Filipinos. If you look at their empty hand defenses you usually see traps. As a matter of fact in my lineage of kempo (Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu & Nick Cerio's Kenpo) trapping is also popular against knives but then again these systems are subsystems of Kajukenbo and we all know of the heavy Filipino influence of Kajukenbo. Respectfully, Shihan Joe Shuras

OP
D

dcence

This would be true of one hand or two hand, but it is better than getting shot. but really, generally, your hand is holding the attacker's hand around the gun. I don't think it is wise just to grab the gun, but more the hand holding the gun. But it is still a good point you make as there is also the heat of the fired gun, or the escaping heat from an automatic, you have to be concerned with.

Derek

OP
D

dcence

How do you do this techinique? The way we do it you don't let go of the knife to do the eye poke, infact that's where the disarm comes in.

Hi Matt,

You can do this, of course, though I don't think it is generally taught. The disarm is somewhat problematic at that point you are talking about because in the heat of things there is the chance your left hand in an effort to disarm will slide down onto the blade. If there is a finger guard, it sure helps, but it is still very dangerous.

Honestly, this technique stinks for a defense against a full intent knife attack, IMO. So I don't do it anyway. If I were to get a hold of the wrist if he is still holding a knife, I wouldn't be letting go to do an eye poke.

Derek

Latest Discussions