Self Defense for Women

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Maybe I wouldn't have maim someone if they didn't attack me in the first place. As for the fight, I don't care about the fight. I care about my safety. Self-defense isn't about the fight it's about protecting myself. Just like some people have no problem with shooting a person in self defense, I have no problem with using my martial arts to the fullest when necessary.

Where you see fight, I see defending myself. I think it's funny how your comment ignores the person who is out to do me harm or worse. If a person thinks it's so important to attack me and do me harm, then I think it's important for me to defend myself to the best of my abilities which doesn't include fancy submissions holds that I never trained in. I train to break bones and cause damage so that's what 's coming down the pipe. Maybe that's something people should think about before F-ing with someone.

"Don't start none, won't be none."

I just don't understand this compassion for an attacker when the attacker is more than happy to maim the victim. Like I said. I'll let you walk that path and have sympathy for your attacker.

I'm not expressing compassion for some random criminal, I'm talking about how people react to situations. When the attacker is your spouse, child, friend, etc, a lot of people are not going to be emotionally prepared to cause them serious bodily injury.

Can you tell me honestly - if your spouse got drunk and started hitting you, would you feel 100% comfortable punching them in the face until they were knocked out?

And this is especially important when it comes to women. Lets say, for example, your boss or a client gropes you and you respond by breaking his arm, you'll at very least be out of a job, and possibly get sued. But a submission technique that causes pain but no injury? That might get him to back off and leave you alone.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
@WaterGal, yes I agree with you. I wonder too if it is not just styles that do a lot of sparring helping someone to be ready for having to fight and but also that training in ANY style can help a woman to FEEL more confident, and in feeling more confident then look like less of a potential victim? Does that sound plausible do you think?? Jxxx

Sure. Anything that makes you exude confidence and situational awareness is going to make someone think twice about attacking you. But if they do anyway, then I think it's important to have spent time doing contact sparring or something similar.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And this is especially important when it comes to women.

Sure. Because men are never the targets of sexual harassment or assault...

Lets say, for example, your boss or a client gropes you and you respond by breaking his arm, you'll at very least be out of a job, and possibly get sued. But a submission technique that causes pain but no injury? That might get him to back off and leave you alone.

You stopped a sexual assault, which can quite often result in grave physical injury, in addition to the psychological injury, by doing nothing more than breaking an arm? I am not a lawyer, but I am pretty sure most places (at least in the US) consider attempted rape to be reason enough to use lethal force. So I'd say you showed great restraint if you only broke their arm.
And... out of a job? Seriously? You're suggesting anyone (of either gender) should continue working in a place where they have been sexually assaulted???
And I'm pretty sure you're backwards on who would get sued. I suspect the company will be shitting bricks over the lawsuit they could face for allowing a sexual predator to run rampant through the corporate halls. And if they fired you for defending yourself? Please... Make my case even stronger, thank you.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When the attacker is your spouse, child, friend, etc, a lot of people are not going to be emotionally prepared to cause them serious bodily injury.
I understand this is true for other people but I was raised differently. There's is a difference between not wanting to do serious harm versus having to do it. No one wants to do serious harm but sometimes it's necessary.

Can you tell me honestly - if your spouse got drunk and started hitting you, would you feel 100% comfortable punching them in the face until they were knocked out?
If my wife got drunk and came at me in a drunken rage then I would be 100% with punching her in the face. If the punch knocks her out then it knocks her out. If that same punch stops her from attacking then that's good for me. There's no reason for me to continue to attack after my attacker is no longer attacking me. That's just how I am as a person.

A drunk person doesn't mean that the person is harmless. Some drunk people become extremely violent as easy as flipping on a light switch. One second they seem harmless and the next they are shooting their spouse or stabbing someone. If a person is a violent drunk then I don't expect things to get better during his or her drunken rage.

when it comes to women, because we're told our whole lives to "be nice", to always give people another chance, to tolerate people violating our personal space, to tolerate sexual harassment, etc. If, for example, your boss or a client gropes you and you respond by breaking his arm, you'll at very least be out of a job, and possibly get sued.
Women shouldn't get that out of their minds "to be nice" to the attacker, "oh he wasn't himself", "oh he was stressed because of work." Don't tolerate violent behavior no matter who it comes from.

If your boss gropes you then you need to let him know right there and then that the behavior is unacceptable, don't giggle, smile, or make light of the situation.. Many work places processes to deal with such behavior. If he continues then you need to press charges, and sue the company and get some money out of it, but before you do any of that you need to create some distance and take a defensive posture to ensure your safety especially if it's just you in him in the area.. If your boss attacks you, slaps you, try to push you in a room to assault you, or punches you in the face then do what you need to do to protect yourself. Even if it means breaking his arm.

Here's a similar scenario of a woman who was groped and got punched when he did it a second time. If she was going to take a punch to the face anyway, then she should responded with more than just a push.: Notting Hill Carnival: Punched woman talks of outrage

But a submission technique that causes pain but no injury
There is no such thing as "pain without injury" the reason you are feeling pain from a submission is because damage is being done. The intensity of that pain is directly related to the amount of damage being done. Do you know how to tell when a submission is being done wrong? It causes little to no pain and no damage..

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Damn right I would feel comfortable, not only comfortable but happy to do it.

And this is especially important when it comes to women. Lets say, for example, your boss or a client gropes you and you respond by breaking his arm, you'll at very least be out of a job, and possibly get sued. But a submission technique that causes pain but no injury? That might get him to back off and leave you alone.

Break his arm? I'd break both arms and possible his legs too. Sued be damned, I would be arresting him for attempted rape or sexual assault, if he tried to sack me I'd be off to an Industrial Tribunal suing for unlawful dismissal. I'd refuse to keep quiet or not hurt them just because I was afraid of losing my job with them, I'd walk anyway and sue for constructive dismissal, I will not be afraid at work.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Sure. Because men are never the targets of sexual harassment or assault...
Depending on which organization you're looking into, it's somewhere between 10 and 20% men who allege harassment. Not a small percentage, but not enough to cop that attitude.
You stopped a sexual assault, which can quite often result in grave physical injury, in addition to the psychological injury, by doing nothing more than breaking an arm?
I'm not sure what I missed, but I think watergal mentioned a boss or coworker groping a female employee. While certainly, this could meet the criteria for being sexual harrassment, it doesn't seem likely to result in grave physical injury.
I am not a lawyer, but I am pretty sure most places (at least in the US) consider attempted rape to be reason enough to use lethal force. So I'd say you showed great restraint if you only broke their arm.
I'm not a lawyer, either. Can anyone clarify whether a grope in an office equates to rape? I wouldn't think so, but I'm open to correction.
And... out of a job? Seriously? You're suggesting anyone (of either gender) should continue working in a place where they have been sexually assaulted???
Just for what it's worth, I can think of many legitimate reasons why a person would want to continue working at a place even were they sexually harassed. The harassment may or may not be systemic, even if it has progressed to the point where it would be considered illegal (To be unlawful, the conduct must create a work environment that would be intimidating, hostile, or offensive to reasonable people.

Offensive conduct may include, but is not limited to, offensive jokes, slurs, epithets or name calling, physical assaults or threats, intimidation, ridicule or mockery, insults or put-downs, offensive objects or pictures, and interference with work performance.)

A person may simply not want to start over and abandon what has otherwise been a happy and successful career just because one (or more than one) creep has worked to create a hostile, intimidating or offensive work environment.
And I'm pretty sure you're backwards on who would get sued. I suspect the company will be shitting bricks over the lawsuit they could face for allowing a sexual predator to run rampant through the corporate halls. And if they fired you for defending yourself? Please... Make my case even stronger, thank you.
I don't think you're on as firm of footing as you believe you are. Surely, everyone might sue everyone else, but this doesn't mean that there will be any finding of wrongdoing.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If my wife got drunk and came at me in a drunken rage then I would be 100% with punching her in the face. If the punch knocks her out then it knocks her out. If that same punch stops her from attacking then that's good for me. There's no reason for me to continue to attack after my attacker is no longer attacking me. That's just how I am as a person.

There's plenty of ways to stop an attack beyond socking someone in the face. Especially when that someone is under the effects of drugs or alcohol, and not in their right state of mind. What if you punch her in the face, she falls backwards and hits a hard object causing brain damage or death? Wouldn't it be better to simply restrain her until she calms down, and then get her the help she needs?

A drunk person doesn't mean that the person is harmless. Some drunk people become extremely violent as easy as flipping on a light switch. One second they seem harmless and the next they are shooting their spouse or stabbing someone. If a person is a violent drunk then I don't expect things to get better during his or her drunken rage.

We're talking about a spouse though. If you're living with this person, and married to this person, you should have some level of understanding of what type of person they are. If she tends to favor the bottle and become violent, that's something you should be well aware of way before you took her down the aisle.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on which organization you're looking into, it's somewhere between 10 and 20% men who allege harassment. Not a small percentage, but not enough to cop that attitude.

And how often does it go unreported? You may recall that there was a time when far too many female sexual assaults went unreported because the victims were stigmatized and the issue scoffed at. Sort of like you're doing here, in a way.

I'm not sure what I missed, but I think watergal mentioned a boss or coworker groping a female employee. While certainly, this could meet the criteria for being sexual harrassment, it doesn't seem likely to result in grave physical injury.

I'm kind of surprised that you take such a soft view of sexual assault. It is absolutely an assault, when you're being groped. Not harassment. And sexual assault certainly justifies a strong response.

I'm not a lawyer, either. Can anyone clarify whether a grope in an office equates to rape?

We've had people groped in the ER, and the assailants were charged with sexual assault. I know a nurse who grabbed a co-workers rear (he's kind of an douche in lots of ways other than this) and was charged with sexual assault. There are degrees of sexual assault just as there are with other assaults. But groping someone is should never be considered harassment; it is a sexual assault. And in Colorado, at least, that is how the law views it. I would hope that other places do the same. And I think it is absolutely wrong to equate a sexual assault with harassment.

I wouldn't think so, but I'm open to correction. Just for what it's worth, I can think of many legitimate reasons why a person would want to continue working at a place even were they sexually harassed.

Again, I believe it is 100% wrong to equate harassment with assault. And while someone may choose to continue working at for the COMPANY, they certainly should never be expected to work with the assailant. And if the company gives even the slightest hint of support for the person committing the assault (and firing the person for defending themselves from what is one of the most vile forms of assault one person can perpetrate on another certainly qualifies) then there is absolutely a systemic problem.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There's plenty of ways to stop an attack beyond socking someone in the face. Especially when that someone is under the effects of drugs or alcohol, and not in their right state of mind. What if you punch her in the face, she falls backwards and hits a hard object causing brain damage or death? Wouldn't it be better to simply restrain her until she calms down, and then get her the help she needs?
1st: Effects of drugs or alcohol, and not in their right state of mind. That's why it's dangerous. You don't know what they will or won't do because they are not in the right state of mind.

2nd: What is this entire scenario of, what if she falls backwards and hits a hard object causing brain damage or death? Is that what you think about when someone is attacking you? I think you have missed my response more than once so I'll post it again: When a person attacks me then I no longer care about their safety. Me caring about their safety happened when I try to deescalate. Once I'm attack then it becomes an focus on my safety.

There's is also no guarantee that my fist is going to knock anyone out with the first punch. That someone is going to fall backwards after getting knocked out and that there will be something hard for them to hit their head on. The way you think of what if scenarios is not healthy for your safety. The people I know who are able to avoid the most danger and the majority of physical confrontations aren't the ones who are thinking about the attackers safety.

We're talking about a spouse though. If you're living with this person, and married to this person, you should have some level of understanding of what type of person they are. If she tends to favor the bottle and become violent, that's something you should be well aware of way before you took her down the aisle.
Not true. People develop dependencies on alcohol and drugs in various stages of their lives. Just because you married a sober woman doesn't mean that 10 years down the road she'll still be sober. It also doesn't mean that she needs to be drunk to want to kill you or harm you. You never know how someone may snap in life and you never know if it's going to be a "clean break" that can be repaired or if it's a shatter there is no way to savage anything. Murder suicides are an example of this. Cases of spouse killing each other is nothing new. You don't have to believe me. Do some research on it.

Anyone that who is attacking you when they are not in their right mind is more of a reason to be concerned about your safety, than someone who you can try to talk out of doing something horrible. There's a big difference between someone who is not in their right mind but aren't violent, and someone who is not in their right mind currently in the act of hurting you or killing you.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If I ever get drunk and for whatever reason and go into a violent rage, I hope my wife or my son will knock me out if possible or do whatever it takes to stop me or get away from me. As I'm sober I prefer not to be stabbed or shot. But if I'm not in my right mind then I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be concerned about being stabbed or shot. So if she has to shoot me or stab me then that's acceptable if that's the best way for her to be safe.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
images

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
And how often does it go unreported? You may recall that there was a time when far too many female sexual assaults went unreported because the victims were stigmatized and the issue scoffed at. Sort of like you're doing here, in a way.

I'm kind of surprised that you take such a soft view of sexual assault. It is absolutely an assault, when you're being groped. Not harassment. And sexual assault certainly justifies a strong response.

We've had people groped in the ER, and the assailants were charged with sexual assault. I know a nurse who grabbed a co-workers rear (he's kind of an douche in lots of ways other than this) and was charged with sexual assault. There are degrees of sexual assault just as there are with other assaults. But groping someone is should never be considered harassment; it is a sexual assault. And in Colorado, at least, that is how the law views it. I would hope that other places do the same. And I think it is absolutely wrong to equate a sexual assault with harassment.

Again, I believe it is 100% wrong to equate harassment with assault. And while someone may choose to continue working at for the COMPANY, they certainly should never be expected to work with the assailant. And if the company gives even the slightest hint of support for the person committing the assault (and firing the person for defending themselves from what is one of the most vile forms of assault one person can perpetrate on another certainly qualifies) then there is absolutely a systemic problem.
Jesus, man. I think you're projecting something here. First, I'm pretty sure most harassment goes unreported, whether against men or women. I neither stigmatized nor scoffed at anyone.

Second, sexual harassment is a form of sexual assault. Equating one with the other is 100% correct, whether you feel it's wrong or not. And Like other forms of sexual assault, it is illegal. It is also difficult to prove, often unreported, and as likely to result in negative repercussions for the victim.

Finally, I don't know why you're lashing out like this, but I think you should back off and calm down.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Second, sexual harassment is a form of sexual assault. Equating one with the other is 100% correct, whether you feel it's wrong or not. And Like other forms of sexual assault, it is illegal. .

Sexual harassment and assault aren't the same thing. They're not even in the same league. Not that I condone harassment but saying words (harassment) is not the same as putting your hands on them (assault). The law treats them differently, at least in the US. As a federal employee, I have this stuff stuffed down my throat on a continuous basis. As for harassment being illegal, it's not. I could walk up to a woman and make lewd comments and there's not anything she could do about it other than file a restraining order if I continue to do it. As soon as my hand touches her, say grabbing her ***, that's assault and I could wind up in jail. In a work environment, many companies have policies in place to discourage said behavior though as it doesn't make for a productive work environment with harassment being allowed.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
U.S Law

Sexual Assault: Definition

Specific laws vary by state, but sexual assault generally refers to any crime in which the offender subjects the victim to sexual touching that is unwanted and offensive. These crimes can range from sexual groping or assault/battery, to attempted rape. All states prohibit sexual assault, but the exact definitions of the crimes that fall within the category of sexual assault differ from state to state.
- See more at: Sexual Assault Overview - FindLaw

Sexual Harassment Definition

• In the federal context, sexual harassment is considered to be a form of sex discrimination under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Accordingly to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) "unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature constitutes sexual harassment when submission to or rejection of this conduct explicitly or implicitly affects an individual's employment, unreasonably interferes with an individual's work performance or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment."
  • There are two different types of sexual harassment claims, although the manner in which a court will distinguish between the two for purposes of deciding whether harassment has occurred has become blurred in recent years:
    • Quid Pro Quo: Sexual harassment that occurs when a supervisor or one in an authority position requests sex, or a sexual relationship, in exchange for not firing or otherwise punishing the employee, or in exchange for favors, such as promotions or raises.
    • Hostile Work Environment: Sexual harassment that occurs through the presence of demeaning or sexual photographs, jokes or threats. The inappropriate behavior or conduct must be so pervasive as to, as the name implies, create an intimidating and offensive work environment.
- See more at: Sexual Harassment: What is it? - FindLaw

Australia Law
Sexual Harassment
Legal Definition of Sexual Harassment
Sexual harassment is an unwelcome sexual advance, unwelcome request for sexual favours or other unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature which makes a person feel offended, humiliated or intimidated, where a reasonable person would anticipate that reaction in the circumstances.

The Sex Discrimination Act 1984 (Cth) defines the nature and circumstances in which sexual harassment is unlawful. It is also unlawful for a person to be victimised for making, or proposing to make, a complaint of sexual harassment to the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission.
Sexual harassment is a type of sex discrimination.

The Sex Discrimination Act 1984 (Cth) makes sexual harassment unlawful in some circumstances. The Sex Discrimination Act makes it unlawful for a person to sexually harass another person in a number of areas including employment, education, the provision of goods and services and accommodation.
Examples of sexually harassing behaviour include:

• unwelcome touching;
  • staring or leering;
  • sexually explicit pictures or posters;
  • unwanted invitations to go out on dates;
  • requests for sex;
  • intrusive questions about a person’s private life or body;
  • unnecessary familiarity, such as deliberately brushing up against a person;
  • insults or taunts based on sex;
  • sexually explicit physical contact; and
  • sexually explicit emails or SMS text messages.

Sexual and Indecent assault definition.
Sexual and indecent assault is a serious offence and anyone found committing an indecent act can potentially face a significant term of imprisonment. Indecent assault can include acts that some may not consider as an offence such as:

• kissing someone without their consent, or who might not be consenting;
  • touching someone without their consent, or who might not be consenting.

Other types of indecent or sexual assault offences can cover more serious matters, such as rape, attempted rape, sexual intercourse without consent, aggravated sexual offences and indecency.

While there are overlaps, harassment and assault are not viewed as the same. The difference is that one is work place focused and the other isn't. A guy can give an unwanted invitation to go out on dates in a non-work environment (meaning neither the man nor women work there) such as a club, store or park and it wouldn't meet the legal definition of sexual harassment. Sexual Assault has wider reach and isn't confined to the work place. Groping would be sexual assault and it wouldn't matter if it happened in the workplace or not. A person can actually be charged for both sexual harassment and sexual assault charges.

In the 2 legal sites that I viewed. There were no mentioning of the two being the same.

OP
BraxLimbo

BraxLimbo

White Belt
Reaction score
Whoa, this post has gone crazy in the few days I was gone. Kind of feel surprised with the reception this has been getting. Unluckily I don't have much time to actually see all the recent posts but feels scared that when I go back, there'll be more. LOL

But I do hope there aren't that much commotion (in case there are, I guess it's inevitable). The reason I asked that was because my daughter often gets noticed at in the street and it scares her. She asked if she can learn martial arts but then asked what's best. from what I know, different types of martial arts deals with varying elements. What I heard once, Judo is great for smaller people with bigger opponents. Then some are more on closed combat. So I asked what might be best for assaults since it's close range and my daughter is petite. I was thinking there might be something more suitable for her.

Of course we are not neglecting the best ways to avoid assaults like being careful. We're just trying to maximize our defenses if necessary.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Respectfully to all, how do the legal definitions assist people at their moment of need of SD?

At that moment, what may be an indecent advance that is warded off by an assertive bark could escalate into what it was intended to be.. an attempted rape. There is not always clinical demarcation of one or the other. Legal definitions inform legal ramifications yes, though what thoughts of legalities are we meant to consider at that moment of unwelcome sexual advance??

And in cases where the victim is subjugated or perhaps inured to the repeated trauma of sexual assault the legalities they seem distant and rarely have I found people thus situated to be in a state of mind to take much of any action let alone physical SD technique mentioned here and there. What do you suggest constitutes self defence here??? let alone how it is legally defined???

This is an emotive issue, naturally it would be, we are all compassionate human beings though I think legalities, while we have a duty to know our standing and while wholly necessary in the aftermath, I wonder is discussion of legality not to digress away from what is of most importance to anyone in the situation??

Also, while it would seem untrue of today - statistically - specially among younger people of either gender (college/university ages), there is still unfathomable ignorance over what is acceptable sexual conduct.

Jxx

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Drunken Rage:
"A South Florida man is charged with first-degree murder after allegedly mutilating, murdering and disemboweling his girlfriend in a drunken rage"
"When first responders arrived, they found Lopez standing next to Nemeth's lifeless body, crying for help, according to the report. Blood surrounded Nemeth's body and there was a large amount on the floor inside the closet, including "what appeared to be several chunks of bloody tissue" later identified as intestinal matter, the report said."

Woman charged with killing boyfriend in drunken rage
"ST. PAUL, Minn. - A St. Paul woman is charged with second degree murder after police say she fatally stabbed her boyfriend in a drunken rage."
"She told police she didn't remember stabbing Hillard and said it was not intentional."

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is not really that there are not outright maniacs out there. Guys and girls.

But you can't work on the assumption that everyone you have conflict with is one of those maniacs. You are just rationalising your own bad behaviour.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
because my daughter often gets noticed at in the street and it scares her. She asked if she can learn martial arts but then asked what's best. from what I know, different types of martial arts deals with varying elements. What I heard once, Judo is great for smaller people with bigger opponents. Then some are more on closed combat. So I asked what might be best for assaults since it's close range and my daughter is petite. I was thinking there might be something more suitable for her.
There is no one size fits all solution for self-defense. Self-defense starts of with awareness and fighting is what usually happens when all other methods fail. She should take a martial art that is focused on self-defense and not sporting. This will help her to not be scared. Predators can tell when a person is scared and they will take advantage of that if the opportunity presents itself. The next thing is to run some what if scenarios and come up with realistic plans. Know where the "exits" are. If she's on the street then she should have an idea of which businesses or shops she can run to in order to get away. Escape plans should be based on the environment and the footwear being used. Also try to see if anything in the environment can be used as a weapon or can be used to put some distance between her and a would be attacker. Carry a sharpen pencil or fine tip pen to use as a stabbing tool. Don't just depend on fighting. Also mentally prepare to do horrible things if necessary to stay safe. Some people here don't have the stomach to severely hurt others, but if she's ever in a situation where her life is in danger, then she will need to fight as if her life is in danger. The biggest issue that I see is that she's scared. If she's scared then she is probably reflecting that in her walk.

Respectfully to all, how do the legal definitions assist people at their moment of need of SD?
They don't assist people at their moment of need when it comes to Self-defense. No one thinks about the law when they are busy trying to protect themselves unless that person is a police officer and depending on what is happening at that time, the police officer may just shoot the attacker and call it a day.

The legal definitions only help before the confrontation starts. Depending on where you are you'll be able to better position yourself legally before the fists start flying. For example, if someone is harassing a woman at work then she should let it be known. Make sure there's a record of reporting, that way if it happens again and she's forced to hit the guy for harassing her then she can show a history of the unwanted behavior. Don't keep silent about harassment on the job. Sometimes you can see things on the horizon. In my case it was the drug dealers who wanted to beat me up. I made sure that my employer and the police knew about what was going on so that I'm in a better position when the crap hits the fan, provided that I would survive such an encounter.

If you are just out in the street and are a victim violence (an assault) out of the blue, then you need to put everything you have into defending yourself.

inured to the repeated trauma of sexual assault
A person should do all they can to not fall into this category. A person usually reaches this point when they are defeated mentally. The best thing is to let someone know what is going on and asked for help. There is always the option to call the police. If this was something fresh happening on day one then the self-defense thing to do would be not to give the guy a second change. The person should show that she or he means business. This doesn't always mean a physical fight, but whatever the response is, it should be a serious one and he should know it. There should be no mixed signals about unwanted the assault is. Just remember to always be ready to defend yourself when confronting someone, always stand as if you think the person is going to hit you. It's better to watch for the punch that never comes than it is to not see the punch coming.

What do you suggest constitutes self defence here??? let alone how it is legally defined???
Any action that you take to ensure your safety can be considered self-defense. Even after being harassed, the goal should be not to let it happen again. Self-defense doesn't just stop when the assault stops. If this is something that happens over and over, then preventing it from happening again is self-defense.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Whoa, this post has gone crazy in the few days I was gone. Kind of feel surprised with the reception this has been getting. Unluckily I don't have much time to actually see all the recent posts but feels scared that when I go back, there'll be more. LOL

But I do hope there aren't that much commotion (in case there are, I guess it's inevitable). The reason I asked that was because my daughter often gets noticed at in the street and it scares her. She asked if she can learn martial arts but then asked what's best. from what I know, different types of martial arts deals with varying elements. What I heard once, Judo is great for smaller people with bigger opponents. Then some are more on closed combat. So I asked what might be best for assaults since it's close range and my daughter is petite. I was thinking there might be something more suitable for her.

Of course we are not neglecting the best ways to avoid assaults like being careful. We're just trying to maximize our defenses if necessary.

Judo would be a fine choice. It'll teach your daughter how to off-balance or throw people much larger than herself. If she never finds herself in a bad situation, she can at least participate in the sport aspect, which she may find enjoyable.

There's also Bjj, which is related to Judo, but favors the ground fighting component over the throwing component, and tends to combine various other grappling and striking arts. However, if she practices Bjj, she should be competent in taking people down as well. Like Judo, there's a sport component that she can partake in beyond simply the self defense aspect.

In this day in age, the Bjj school may be easier to find and offer more bang for you buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.