Running/jogging, injuries and stuff

OP
L

LastGasp

Orange Belt
Reaction score
question to those more knowledgeable..

Is jogging on the spot such a good idea?

It feels a bit against the natural dynamics of the body. A minute or two for little warm up I guess should be fine, but 30 minutes seems a bit exaggerated.

To come back to this, I too would like to know the thoughts of those with more experience on this.
It doesn't feel wrong to me. It gets my heart rate up in a way that I can control, so it seems useful from that point of view. I can push harder, or ease up as I need to. And nothing else I currently do gives my calf muscles as good a workout - I can really feel that; well, since recovering from the injury anyway!
And I'm still not sure I can get out and manage a worthwhile distance running properly - even round the block - so it seems to me to be a good way to build up to that.

I know jobo's view, but the fact that I can push into 'sprints' when I want to at least partially gets round that. Bearing in mind that I am just starting out, and want to get to running outside anyway, is there any harm in jogging on the spot? Apart from that injury from doing too much too soon, I can't feel any adverse effects.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
So a burpee? I do a more complicated form of that...when i make the stair video, ill include it

Rolling backwards onto your shoulders isn't a burpee.

Not sure it has a name actually, but no matter ;)

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
is there any harm in jogging on the spot?

No.

It's not harmful to sprint on the spot, or do some skipping either.

I may be wrong as well, but I don't really classify DOMS as an injury. As long as you don't push the same muscles too hard while recovering for a few days.

OP
L

LastGasp

Orange Belt
Reaction score
No.

It's not harmful to sprint on the spot, or do some skipping either.

I may be wrong as well, but I don't really classify DOMS as an injury. As long as you don't push the same muscles too hard while recovering for a few days.

From what I've read, it's micro-tears in the muscle tissues, so technically, I'd say it is a number of injuries, just very minor ones comparatively speaking.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
From what I've read, it's micro-tears in the muscle tissues, so technically, I'd say it is a number of injuries, just very minor ones comparatively speaking.
Micro tears, is just what happens to your muscles if you use them, getting up and making a cup of tea will result in micro tears, DOMS is DELAYED Onset of muscle sorness, that delay needs to be at least 24 hours for it to be classed as doms, if your just sore the next day, that's not delayed and therefore not doms, just ordinary everyday muscle soreness, caused by inflamation

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
that delay needs to be at least 24 hours for it to be classed as doms,

Onset of DOMS can be after as little as 4-6 hours actually.

If it doesn't hurt straight away, but hurts later, that's delayed.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
From the same page:

Although there is variance among exercises and individuals, the soreness usually increases in intensity in the first 24 hours after exercise. It peaks from 24 to 72 hours, then subsides and disappears up to seven days after exercise

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
From the same page:

Although there is variance among exercises and individuals, the soreness usually increases in intensity in the first 24 hours after exercise. It peaks from 24 to 72 hours, then subsides and disappears up to seven days after exercise
Well yes if it's not getting Worse and worse between 24and 72 hours it's not doms. Just being stiff/ sore the next morning is not doms

OP
L

LastGasp

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well yes if it's not getting Worse and worse between 24and 72 hours it's not doms. Just being stiff/ sore the next morning is not doms

Which it did. I'm 95% sure that's what it was, as it followed most descriptions of DOMS very closely. Nothing immediately following exercise, not too bad first thing next morning. But then got steadily worse, until it left me hobbling around. Then faded quite quickly after about 3 days.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

If you have Soreness in your Muscles, the Onset of which is Delayed, then what else is it?

That's a rhetorical question - we both know you'll change your opinion ready for the next thread...

Your methodology has become exceedingly tedious.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
So let's look at the progression of ignorance...

Firstly, you said the delay to onset must be at least 24 hours:

DOMS is DELAYED Onset of muscle sorness, that delay needs to be at least 24 hours for it to be classed as doms

Then you cited a page without actually reading it, trying to reinforce that opinion:

Well clearly it cant, as that's no a big enough delay

Delayed onset muscle soreness - Wikipedia

24hours is the .minimum

Then you backtracked slightly and insinuated you were trying to say it has to be getting worse for a minimum of 24 hours:

At some point, you'll see this bit - "Although there is variance among exercises and individuals, the soreness usually increases in intensity in the first 24 hours" - and change again, stating that from the start you meant it might start the next morning and get worse for a while.

Let's face it, you don't really know what you're on about.

MxcnPhoenix

White Belt
Reaction score
I'd like to point out two things regarding DOMS:

1) The Delayed in Delayed Onset Muscles Soreness historically describes the "peak" of muscle soreness which statistically occurs 24-72 hours after the exercise that caused it. It's not unusual for people to start experiencing DOMS even just an hour afterward with pain/discomfort peaking later.

2) It's generally accepted in the health and fitness industry that the feelings of stiffness, soreness, or other discomforts that follow bouts of unaccustomed or strenuous exertion can be attributed to DOMS.

LastGasp I'd say it's a safe bet you were certainly experiencing DOMS. :)

is there any harm in jogging on the spot?

Coming back to this. I'd say the short answer is no.

The longer answer is also no.

Will it improve your running ability? Beyond improving your overall physical conditioning, probably not much.

Is it lower impact on your joints? Depends on if you're performing it plyometrically (read with jumps) (also is that even a word...?) or if you are just switching from one foot to the next. If you are jumping/hopping from one foot to the next, then no it's not going to be "lower impact".

Can it injure me? I wouldn't think it's likely. It's significantly lower risk than running outside. (But really an argument could be made that anything could injure you if nitpick it enough).

In my opinion, if you can move your body without pain (or in some cases, move it without aggravating existing pains) AND you're not injuring yourself AND it improves your overall conditioning AND you enjoy the results you're getting and don't mind doing the work. Then why not continue to do it? You always have the option to adjust your program as you progress and make it better.

Regarding exercise in general: I think it's far better to start somewhere so that you can get your bearings and then adjust your course as you discover where it is you want to go, than to not start because you've developed anxiety over whether you're doing the exact right thing to get the most improvement with the least amount of effort.

OP
L

LastGasp

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Will it improve your running ability? Beyond improving your overall physical conditioning, probably not much.

Then, given the early stage I'm at currently, that's reason enough to continue. I will for a while, and see how things go generally before reassessing.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then, given the early stage I'm at currently, that's reason enough to continue. I will for a while, and see how things go generally before reassessing.

Well, like I said before it's much like skipping - it's not just an activity for teenage girls ;)

There'd be no real reason to stop doing it, if there was then people like pro boxers wouldn't skip...

The only time you should consider swapping running on the spot is if you get to a stage where you can't get your heart rate up by doing it without causing damage - which is a very unlikely scenario - or if other physical issues prevent it.

Or maybe if you live in a flat and the downstairs neighbours complain about the noise...

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kind of you to offer. I'm not sure. I'm only using the stairs in the house, and they're quite narrow, with an awkward 90deg. turn at the bottom. I don't know of anywhere else I can find a wider, longer set.

Later, when I've sorted the job situation, I want to get back to walking the rugged English Lake District fells I'm lucky to be near (well, 30 miles from), and stairs is the best training I can think of for that, seeing as it's all very flat locally. I kind of do fancy fell-running, if I ever got that fit (and that's by no means a given - probably just wishing I was that fit!) but it's not a priority goal.
that's the one :D
I am still a newbie to MA world, an older lady with little activity before, so level of complexity is still low for me ;)

I'll be waiting for your video

Both of you should have a video in your inbox. I apologize in advance for the quality, I am not a natural in front of a camera in the slightest.

gucia6

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Rolling backwards onto your shoulders isn't a burpee.

Not sure it has a name actually, but no matter ;)
ehhh... I just don't know how to call it professionally. It is part of back breakfall or back flip but without complete roll

Both of you should have a video in your inbox. I apologize in advance for the quality, I am not a natural in front of a camera in the slightest.
thanks a lot.

We basically do the same just in different order and jump is not the star jump, but to pick knees high to chest

Latest Discussions