Running/jogging, injuries and stuff

OP
L

LastGasp

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm working on it.
Motivation isn't a problem. But I can only do so much at a time. Like I said, I have seen improvements in just two months. I have increased what I am doing in that time. Mostly, I know where my limits are though. A heart scare makes one wary. I don't think you realise what kind of a wreck I was, lol.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
(TL;DR at bottom)

I haven't done anything in fitness training, in a dedicated way, for many years, up till deciding a couple of months ago that it was long since time I did.
So then I started to put a little regimen together, nothing too strenuous to start with. I quickly found myself able to increase this workout, and have been very pleased with my progress, even in so short a time.

It has especially been a long time since I did any kind of running. Part of the reason for this is that I have a little 'dodginess' in one knee that made it awkward to run. The most I ever did was a short jog to get across a busy road, for instance. Even then, I found that I would jog on the balls of my feet/toes, I think to help reduce impact transferring up through the knee. Or whatever, but that's how I found I would do it.

Now, I have found that I have built some strength about the knee, and have been running up and down the stairs as part of my new regime (I'm nothing if not unorthodox! lol), which has advanced this greatly. But what I really want to be able to do is proper jogging/running, for a proper cardio-vascular workout if nothing else.

So with my new-found ability, I decided to test myself with some jogging on the spot, just to see how far I had come - didn't want to try going out for a jog straight away, partly, I admit, due to self-consciousness, but also in case I did myself an injury and would then find it difficult to get home.

I'm glad I did! What I did at home, was 30mins jogging on the spot. I had planned to do just 15, but found I felt quite capable of keeping going, so it got to 20mins, then 25, then finally decided that 30 had given me a decent workout, bit sweaty, a little tired. I did the whole thing on balls of feet/toes. Felt fine, no worries, was actually very happy with my progress.

Next day, the calf muscles in both legs were very stiff and painful. Clearly now, I'd overdone it. I have been hobbling about for the last couple of days, and only now are things improving - going to give it a day or two more before carefully going back to exercise.

TL;DR So I have a couple of very basic questions about running, strange as it may seem to many:

1. Is it a bad idea to run on the balls of the feet/toes?
2. If my body is not going to give me any warnings or signals whilst exercising that I am overdoing it, how on earth am I going to set my exercise limits?!

Help!

Great story! Congratulations on getting back into exercise. I cannot speak to running on the toes exclusively but landing on the heels first is bad when running. The stress goes directly to the joints.

gucia6

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So with my new-found ability, I decided to test myself with some jogging on the spot, just to see how far I had come - didn't want to try going out for a jog straight away, partly, I admit, due to self-consciousness, but also in case I did myself an injury and would then find it difficult to get home.
!

question to those more knowledgeable..

Is jogging on the spot such a good idea?

It feels a bit against the natural dynamics of the body. A minute or two for little warm up I guess should be fine, but 30 minutes seems a bit exaggerated.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Buka, some points to think about, and ideas to introduce, surface and stretching.

My knee strength I have been working on over the last couple of months; stair work and squats mostly. Quite pleased with the improvement thus far.
Youre lucky with this. If i do any squats, i hear a pop, and if i do 10 or so (or any with weights, it causes pain that makes me think theyre a bad idea. Stairs though. Those are good. Best workouts ive had for cardio and footwork came from stairs.

Last edited:
OP
L

LastGasp

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Great story! Congratulations on getting back into exercise. I cannot speak to running on the toes exclusively but landing on the heels first is bad when running. The stress goes directly to the joints.

Thank you.
I'm kind of embarrassed that I even needed to ask! So many must take it all for granted.

question to those more knowledgeable..

Is jogging on the spot such a good idea?

It feels a bit against the natural dynamics of the body. A minute or two for little warm up I guess should be fine, but 30 minutes seems a bit exaggerated.

Yes, I did it as a test really. I want to get out running properly, but I have put my body through the grinding mill somewhat with lots of injuries from crashing motorcycles, so I'm kind of exploring it anew. I just didn't bother for so long, thinking I'd just messed myself up too badly. I don't plan for the jogging on the spot to become a thing. Although it felt fine when I did it.

Youre lucky with this. If i do any squats, i hear a pop, and if i do 10 or so (or any with weights, it causes pain that makes me think theyre a bad idea. Stairs though. Those are good. Best workouts ive had for cardio and footwork came from stairs.

I have to be a little careful with squats, feet have to be positioned just so, and I have to keep careful control, but if I do that, I'm ok with it, get down as deep as I can with each one. Not using weights yet, we'll see. Stairs have been a brilliant aid to physical recovery. I don't have, and can't afford at the moment, any equipment to help with working out, so I just use what's available. You'd laugh at my solution for weight training equipment! Works though, although perhaps not as well as the proper kit.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't have, and can't afford at the moment, any equipment to help with working out, so I just use what's available. You'd laugh at my solution for weight training equipment! Works though, although perhaps not as well as the proper kit.

Anything that adds resistance is technically weight training, and to that end there's no difference between a set of branded weights and a broomstick with bags loaded with rocks hung off the ends...

OP
L

LastGasp

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Anything that adds resistance is technically weight training, and to that end there's no difference between a set of branded weights and a broomstick with bags loaded with rocks hung off the ends...

Actually, I think MA teaches adaptability. You only have to look at where some of the MA weapons came from.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you.
I'm kind of embarrassed that I even needed to ask! So many must take it all for granted.

Yes, I did it as a test really. I want to get out running properly, but I have put my body through the grinding mill somewhat with lots of injuries from crashing motorcycles, so I'm kind of exploring it anew. I just didn't bother for so long, thinking I'd just messed myself up too badly. I don't plan for the jogging on the spot to become a thing. Although it felt fine when I did it.

I have to be a little careful with squats, feet have to be positioned just so, and I have to keep careful control, but if I do that, I'm ok with it, get down as deep as I can with each one. Not using weights yet, we'll see. Stairs have been a brilliant aid to physical recovery. I don't have, and can't afford at the moment, any equipment to help with working out, so I just use what's available. You'd laugh at my solution for weight training equipment! Works though, although perhaps not as well as the proper kit.
Honestly, stairs can give you all the weight training and cardio you need, up until you want to include weight training beyond bodyweight. If you want help with some stair-workouts, i can take a video and pm them to you

OP
L

LastGasp

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Honestly, stairs can give you all the weight training and cardio you need, up until you want to include weight training beyond bodyweight. If you want help with some stair-workouts, i can take a video and pm them to you

Kind of you to offer. I'm not sure. I'm only using the stairs in the house, and they're quite narrow, with an awkward 90deg. turn at the bottom. I don't know of anywhere else I can find a wider, longer set.

Later, when I've sorted the job situation, I want to get back to walking the rugged English Lake District fells I'm lucky to be near (well, 30 miles from), and stairs is the best training I can think of for that, seeing as it's all very flat locally. I kind of do fancy fell-running, if I ever got that fit (and that's by no means a given - probably just wishing I was that fit!) but it's not a priority goal.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kind of you to offer. I'm not sure. I'm only using the stairs in the house, and they're quite narrow, with an awkward 90deg. turn at the bottom. I don't know of anywhere else I can find a wider, longer set

Nah, do it - you don't need wider or longer, you can adapt ;)

If you do it for him, can you copy me in?

There's always something everyone can add.

OP
L

LastGasp

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Tbh, I'm struggling to imagine a 'proper' stair workout, beyond going up and down them!

OP
L

LastGasp

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This is an EXCELLENT question that I've both asked myself and been asked by others over the years. The short answer is that eventually your body will give you warning signs you're overdoing it. Unfortunately the answer to this question boils down to consistency. Start small and careful, as it seems you are, and make changes slowly even over the course of weeks if necessary because consistency will trump intensity (but they aren't mutually exclusive).

Funny thing is, when I did the exercise that caused the injury, it was like I couldn't really feel what my calf muscles were doing at all.
Incorporated into a workout again today, all twinges having disappeared by now, and immediately I could feel what was going on. So I knew this time when to stop - only 6mins, no wonder I injured myself the first time!
Well, like you say, I'll know tomorrow if I was able to judge correctly.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, I think MA teaches adaptability. You only have to look at where some of the MA weapons came from.

If you want a suggestion of an MA weapon (kinda) that you can use (if your good with wood you could make one) get hold of a suburi Bokken and look for the drills and or Kata (ooops bad word there) that are for "regular" Bokken and try that ...if ya can get up to say 500 cuts a time you will see results (you can get the one handed version to)

MxcnPhoenix

White Belt
Reaction score
Doesn't feel right for another newb to do this, but welcome to the forum :)

Just wanted to say Welcome to MartialTalk, MxcnPhoenix. :)

Thank you! I'm glad to be here. I've been haunting this forum for years and decided it was time to participate :)

Speaking of...I was looking over the photos of your saloon and training area you built and you're very resourceful. Your tree-based wooden dummy is awesome!

Stairs have been a brilliant aid to physical recovery.

I 100% agree with this. I lived in an apartment up 8 flights of stairs a few years ago and it did wonderful things for my cardiorespiratory conditioning and leg strength overall. One thing I liked to do was drive my weight backward as if I were trying to walk up the stairs using only my hamstrings and glutes to power the step up and you'd be surprised how much that emulates an isolateral (one-side) squat.

In terms of exercises you can do on stairs you might even try a Bulgarian split squat:
split+squat.gif

If you're in a stairwell or have a handrailing nearby you can use it to reduce the load you put on your balance and control the depth of the squat until you're strong enough to perform it fully. The real trick with this exercise that you can't tell from the image is that as you push up from the bottom of squat you're also driving your weight backward through your foot on your front leg (as if you were trying to drag a piece of paper toward your back leg) so you're contracting your hamstrings and glutes strongly as you push up.

OP
L

LastGasp

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Speaking of...I was looking over the photos of your saloon and training area you built and you're very resourceful. Your tree-based wooden dummy is awesome!

I don't know where you saw that, but it wasn't me I'm afraid!

Last edited:

gucia6

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I see.

I myself cannot jog (whatever I do wrong, my knees don't manage)

yes, stairs are great :D

But anyway, for improving general fitness and endurance, I don't think the so called 'cardio' is always necessary. Couple of sets of exercises in sequence: from squat roll back to shoulders > roll forward get to your feet > one push-up > one jump. First time I barely managed 5, now I am reaching 9-10 and I am huffed and puffed and my heart wants to jump out of my chest.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I see.

I myself cannot jog (whatever I do wrong, my knees don't manage)

yes, stairs are great :D

But anyway, for improving general fitness and endurance, I don't think the so called 'cardio' is always necessary. Couple of sets of exercises in sequence: from squat roll back to shoulders > roll forward get to your feet > one push-up > one jump. First time I barely managed 5, now I am reaching 9-10 and I am huffed and puffed and my heart wants to jump out of my chest.
So a burpee? I do a more complicated form of that...when i make the stair video, ill include it