Run away from no-mask people

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I recall the experts saying don't wear the N95 masks because we don't have enough of them, and the folks in the hospitals and other front line people needed the PPE.

I really don't think you understand how significant even a 2% mortality rate is. Consider cancer... all kinds of cancer. It's ubiquitous. People, just about every person, takes reasonable precautions to mitigate their risk of getting cancer. From wearing sunscreen to quitting (or never starting) smoking. Eating better, getting colonoscopies, mammograms, etc. In addition, we as a culture have committed significant resources and energy into finding effective treatment and cures. The mortality rate for all kinds of cancer combined is less than .2%. The reason that cancer is so visible is that it affects so many people. We have over 16 million cancer survivors in the USA, and every family has felt that burden.

2% (actually, it's closer to 3% than 2) mortality is literally 2 out of every 100 people who gets it dies. Think about it like this. We know that coronavirus is highly contagious like the flu. The CDC estimates that between 9 million and 65million Americans get the flu each year. We're on the low end of the incidence rate for Covid now, at over 8 million and growing. When 9 million people get the flu, about 12k end up passing away. We know that with 8.2 million people contracting Covid, over 220k have died.

Let's consider what the numbers will look like if we get to the high end of the incidence range (65 million). At 65 million cases of the flu, the CDC says that about 61,000 Americans have died. If 65 million people get COVID, at a 2% mortality rate (which is actually a little optimistic) we are looking at losing 1.3 million people. That's what we have to look forward to, if people aren't smart about this thing.

Now, the good news is that vaccines look like they're on the horizon. But we have to get there, and wouldn't it suck to be the last person to die from Covid?
yes, 2% of 300,000,000 is a lot of people, but come on to completely ruin the lives of the other 98% because of the financial meltdown, in fact america financial l melt down will plunge countless millions around the globe in to poverty, is a step to far, when all they( the vulnerable) have to do is stop home and if they wont do that they have volunteered

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
yes, 2% of 300,000,000 is a lot of people, but come on to completely ruin the lives of the other 98% because of the financial meltdown, in fact america financial l melt down will plunge countless millions around the globe in to poverty, is a step to far, when all they( the vulnerable) have to do is stop home and if they wont do that they have volunteered
2% of 65 million is a lot of people, and it's very possible that if we don't get our act together, we'll hit that mark.

To be clear, I'm talking about wearing a mask and being sensible, not shutting everything down. We've had some real missteps in this country, where a stimulus bill actually did more to bailout the wealthy and we're looking at a real **** show for a lot of folks once landlords start acting on those evictions they've got all queued up. I agree completely that our country has suffered greatly from lack of leadership at the top.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recall the experts saying don't wear the N95 masks because we don't have enough of them, and the folks in the hospitals and other front line people needed the PPE.

I really don't think you understand how significant even a 2% mortality rate is. Consider cancer... all kinds of cancer. It's ubiquitous. People, just about every person, takes reasonable precautions to mitigate their risk of getting cancer. From wearing sunscreen to quitting (or never starting) smoking. Eating better, getting colonoscopies, mammograms, etc. In addition, we as a culture have committed significant resources and energy into finding effective treatment and cures. The mortality rate for all kinds of cancer combined is less than .2%. The reason that cancer is so visible is that it affects so many people. We have over 16 million cancer survivors in the USA, and every family has felt that burden.

2% (actually, it's closer to 3% than 2) mortality is literally 2 out of every 100 people who gets it dies. Think about it like this. We know that coronavirus is highly contagious like the flu. The CDC estimates that between 9 million and 65million Americans get the flu each year. We're on the low end of the incidence rate for Covid now, at over 8 million and growing. When 9 million people get the flu, about 12k end up passing away. We know that with 8.2 million people contracting Covid, over 220k have died.

Let's consider what the numbers will look like if we get to the high end of the incidence range (65 million). At 65 million cases of the flu, the CDC says that about 61,000 Americans have died. If 65 million people get COVID, at a 2% mortality rate (which is actually a little optimistic) we are looking at losing 1.3 million people. That's what we have to look forward to, if people aren't smart about this thing.

Now, the good news is that vaccines look like they're on the horizon. But we have to get there, and wouldn't it suck to be the last person to die from Covid?
Thanks for spelling that out. I hadn't gotten around to looking for (or running, myself) the numbers on what that would % would mean with projected (and derived) infection rates.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well yes, quantum mechanics indicates/ means that everything we call reality including physics is probably wrong

thats not me saying it, its main stream scientific opinion saying it, which means they might be wrong as well

you just cant trust them
Actually, no it doesn't. It suggests that everything we know needs an adjustment. We know (by testing the math and using physical experiments) that most of it is correct - there are just some parts we (the human race) haven't gotten around to looking at until relatively recently, so the assumptions about what happens at those levels are likely incorrect. That doesn't magically invalidate everything above it, any more than the discovery of smaller particles invalidated the entirety of the physics built upon the assumption that nothing was smaller than an atom.

As for the rest, you're just arguing to argue. You know it, and so do I.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"completely ruin"?

And have you factored in the cost - both economic and psychological - of more people dying? Or are you just assuming the economy will be spectacular while more people die?

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You're talking about early advice, which was mostly focused on keeping masks available for front-line medical staff, and the advice was around prevention of GETTING, not prevention of TRANSMISSION.
No-maskers don't think about the welfare of other people. All they care about is their own welfare, which is why they only care about the effect of the mask on the wearer, not on the people around the wearer.

A big problem with individualist societies is their very narrow definition of "kin."

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"completely ruin"?

And have you factored in the cost - both economic and psychological - of more people dying? Or are you just assuming the economy will be spectacular while more people die?
but you haven't stopped people dieing and your ruining the economy, so,,,,,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, no it doesn't. It suggests that everything we know needs an adjustment. We know (by testing the math and using physical experiments) that most of it is correct - there are just some parts we (the human race) haven't gotten around to looking at until relatively recently, so the assumptions about what happens at those levels are likely incorrect. That doesn't magically invalidate everything above it, any more than the discovery of smaller particles invalidated the entirety of the physics built upon the assumption that nothing was smaller than an atom.

As for the rest, you're just arguing to argue. You know it, and so do I.
well no9, quantum mechanics indicates that what ever you've just measured almost certainly doesn't exist, that somewhat more than an adjustment

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
From the CDC: Janet Parker was the last person to die of smallpox. It was 1978, and Parker was a medical photographer at the Birmingham University Medical School in England and worked one floor above the Medical Microbiology Department where smallpox research was being conducted. She became ill on August 11 and developed a rash on August 15 but was not diagnosed with smallpox until 9 days later.

I'm confident will we overcome this pandemic. But someone will be the last person to die. I don't want that to be me or anyone I know.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
From the CDC: Janet Parker was the last person to die of smallpox. It was 1978, and Parker was a medical photographer at the Birmingham University Medical School in England and worked one floor above the Medical Microbiology Department where smallpox research was being conducted. She became ill on August 11 and developed a rash on August 15 but was not diagnosed with smallpox until 9 days later.

I'm confident will we overcome this pandemic. But someone will be the last person to die. I don't want that to be me or anyone I know.
why is being the last to die worse than being the third last to die ?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

im wondering what went wrong , that someone working in a building with smallpox get a rash and doesnt think @@i wonder if thats small pox

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
nono no

MY chances and probably your chances of dieing from the virus are practically nil
my and probably your chances of being attacked if you go round getting into mask arguments on either side are much higher

ive had a big guy threatening me on the bus already, if id have taken him up on it and quite sure he would have come at me swinging
Yeah. You clarified your claim after the initial post. My comment was on how I read the claim.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just because you find it weird, that's not really a good reason to ignore the experts who actually study this stuff.
Well I am distrustful of these experts given how many were bribed to class deaths as COVID deaths, the situations under which deaths are labelled COVID deaths, and also just the fact that they seem to think 6 people mixing is safe, but as soon as it becomes 7, I get fined.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well I am distrustful of these experts given how many were bribed to class deaths as COVID deaths, the situations under which deaths are labelled COVID deaths, and also just the fact that they seem to think 6 people mixing is safe, but as soon as it becomes 7, I get fined.
no ivan dont ask reasonable scientific question or they will just start calling you stupid

over here we have a 10pm curfew, coz covid only come out at night to dance

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's not on the experts, that's on the public health representatives who have to interpret the experts, and balance public safety with people's desire to do what they want. Don't blame the experts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions