Rousey returning

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Gegard Mousasi on Rousey, and women fighting in general. What an asshat.

Gegard Mousasi says Ronda Rousey media machine is out of control
He's just being loud to get attention, I think. The idea that Cyborg is suffering from a lack of media attention is bunk. She was right there, in the mix, getting as much attention as Rousey or more until she popped positive on a drug test. Since then, she's still getting plenty of attention. The biggest problem with Cyborg is that she doesn't want to cut weight (whether legitimately for health reasons or whatever).

Regarding this guy and his views towards female fighters, I think he's about 50 years behind the times.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Frankly I prefer female MMA to male MMA. The females fight like they got something to prove, and it shows in the ring. My wife is a big fan too, because she feels empowered watching these women fight with such a high level of skill.

Honestly if it wasn't for the inclusion of female fighters in the major MMA circuits, I have little doubt that the sport would be half as popular as it is now.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Frankly I prefer female MMA to male MMA. The females fight like they got something to prove, and it shows in the ring. My wife is a big fan too, because she feels empowered watching these women fight with such a high level of skill.

Honestly if it wasn't for the inclusion of female fighters in the major MMA circuits, I have little doubt that the sport would be half as popular as it is now.
Sorry but no that's nonsense mma has been huge for years and years well before women's fighting got big. It started picking up early 2000s because of fighters like chuck Liddell, randy couture and Tito Ortiz. Then it got into mainstream with the griffin/ Bonnar fight and the ultimate fighter. Then fighters like Gsp and Anderson silva got mma international appeal then Brock Lesnar bought over a lot of wwe fans and Conor mcgregor has bought in a huge amount of new fans which ill admit despite the fact I don't like him.

Sure rousey and other women may have bought in a few new eyes but they are absolutely not the reason mma is popular

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It picked up because the UFC got the Nevada gaming commission to sanction an event which led to the first season of TUF, putting mma on free tv.

It is true that rousey isn't the reason mma is popular. But it isn't and never has been dependent upon having stars. What I mean is, sure there need to be marketable faces. But they're all replaceable. The idea that the UFC will fold if any one fighter retires or loses is silly.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MMA has been going before the early twenties, it was going in the nineties ( male and female MMA) The first MMA fight night in the UK was before 2000, the promoter had previously fought MMA in Japan. For many years both male and female fighters
The popularity of MMA has grown because of increased public awareness, more television time and yes some personalities who are put into the public eye but like the entertainment industry it isn't dependent on any one person, there is always the excitement of a new find and new face. It's the reason X Factor is so popular in so many countries. Again like the entertainment industry where you are only as good as your last film/song/tv programme, in MMA you are only as good as your last fight. This means WMMA will have brought in new viewers, for one thing for many home audiences and spectators the inclusion of women means that MMA is now mainstream rather than a fringe sport. Of course for those that don't like MMA for it's so called 'barbarism' bringing female fighters into a big show like UFC confirms their worst fears lol.
One thing to remember is that men's MMA didn't start before women's, they started at the same time, both popular in many parts of the world before MMA was chosen for the fledgling UFC ( after a stuttering start with the rules etc) The UFC could have easily started with women's fights alongside the men's as other promotions did. I think MMA might have been seen to be a legitimate sport sooner if they had but boxing at that time didn't want female fights either. Even athletics didn't want females being equal in things like pole vault, hammer and other events, women's ski jump hasn't been accepted by the Olympic committee as a sport even now.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
MMA has been going before the early twenties, it was going in the nineties ( male and female MMA) The first MMA fight night in the UK was before 2000, the promoter had previously fought MMA in Japan. For many years both male and female fighters
I don't know if I completely understand. Are you saying the 1920's? That doesn't make sense.

But, isn't it also a huge stretch to claim that female MMA was "going" in the 1990s? I would welcome some evidence to the contrary, and I get that there were a few events in the 1990s, but they were oddities with a very thin field of female athletes and funky rule sets. It wasn't until Smackgirl came around that there was any even semi-legitimate and that was in 2001.

While I'm all for welcoming women's MMA into the limelight, there is still a problem with a very thin pool of well trained talent in the divisions. The lack of depth is largely a result of the divisions being so young compared to the men's combat sports. It's just still in its infancy compared to men's MMA.
The popularity of MMA has grown because of increased public awareness, more television time and yes some personalities who are put into the public eye but like the entertainment industry it isn't dependent on any one person, there is always the excitement of a new find and new face. It's the reason X Factor is so popular in so many countries. Again like the entertainment industry where you are only as good as your last film/song/tv programme, in MMA you are only as good as your last fight. This means WMMA will have brought in new viewers, for one thing for many home audiences and spectators the inclusion of women means that MMA is now mainstream rather than a fringe sport. Of course for those that don't like MMA for it's so called 'barbarism' bringing female fighters into a big show like UFC confirms their worst fears lol.
One thing to remember is that men's MMA didn't start before women's, they started at the same time, both popular in many parts of the world before MMA was chosen for the fledgling UFC ( after a stuttering start with the rules etc) The UFC could have easily started with women's fights alongside the men's as other promotions did. I think MMA might have been seen to be a legitimate sport sooner if they had but boxing at that time didn't want female fights either. Even athletics didn't want females being equal in things like pole vault, hammer and other events, women's ski jump hasn't been accepted by the Olympic committee as a sport even now.
I'd like to see some support for the assertion that they started at the same time. Men's MMA has been around for a long time, as you say. Going back to the contests in Asia and the Vale Tudo matches in Brazil, and elsewhere. Women's MMA had a couple of events as early as 1996, marketed largely as a novelty, to really getting started in the early 2000's with Smackgirl in Japan. Otherwise, it didn't really exist.

And suggesting that it could have been in the UFC as early as the first events isn't realistic, as even now the UFC struggles to locate well trained women who are ready for an elite level of competition. Getting better, for sure, but still pretty thin compared to the men's divisions.

To be clear, this isn't in any way a knock against women's MMA. Rather, it's an acknowledgement of how far it's come in such a short time.

But I think that the real history is an even better story than the exaggerated one you seem to be promoting.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was just thinking....say you (anybody reading this) were in Rousey's position, not that you were her, but that you were you, in the position she is in now. You had been a champion, a dominant, well known one. Then got smoked. Now you're coming back a year later.....and everyone is just killing you in the press. Not the usual smack talk from your opponent or their camp,(which is certainly there in spades) but from everyone out there. Even here.

I wonder what would be in anybody's mind. Trying to figure out what would be in mine if I was the fighter in her position. I think I would be insanely pissed. Hope it wouldn't cloud my fight game and training. But I was usually good in channelling things.

Trying to figure out how I'd guide my fighter if she/he were in Ronda's position and I was handling them.

Any thoughts? How would you feel?

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was just thinking....say you (anybody reading this) were in Rousey's position, not that you were her, but that you were you, in the position she is in now. You had been a champion, a dominant, well known one. Then got smoked. Now you're coming back a year later.....and everyone is just killing you in the press. Not the usual smack talk from your opponent or their camp,(which is certainly there in spades) but from everyone out there. Even here.

I wonder what would be in anybody's mind. Trying to figure out what would be in mine if I was the fighter in her position. I think I would be insanely pissed. Hope it wouldn't cloud my fight game and training. But I was usually good in channelling things.

Trying to figure out how I'd guide my fighter if she/he were in Ronda's position and I was handling them.

Easy don't go on the Internet.
Fact is rouseys been around for years and years she was hated in her judo career and the majority of her mma career she should be used to it by now.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Easy don't go on the Internet.
Fact is rouseys been around for years and years she was hated in her judo career and the majority of her mma career she should be used to it by now.

That's not really what I asked. I asked how you would handle it. I know you said you wouldn't go on the internet, but you would have to be living in a cave not to be aware of what's being said. Maybe you could put your personal dislike aside and think about what you would do, how you would feel, how you would handle it. Or not.

As for "easy, don't go on the internet" Ain't much easy about being a fighter. And I know you know that.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's not really what I asked. I asked how you would handle it. I know you said you wouldn't go on the internet, but you would have to be living in a cave not to be aware of what's being said. Maybe you could put your personal dislike aside and think about what you would do, how you would feel, how you would handle it. Or not.

As for "easy, don't go on the internet" Ain't much easy about being a fighter. And I know you know that.
It's easy not to go on the Internet and my dislike for her has nothing to do with that post it's the same for any fighter they know how the game works and the fact that 95 percent of the people talking **** haven't trained a day in their lives so why let some trolls who boo the second a fight touches the ground bother you.

As for how I'd deal with it I'd ignore it its not worth my time I honestly don't care what strangers think of me I haven't cared for years. I stopped worrying about all that a long time ago. The only opinions I care about are the ones closest to me. What I'd do is live my life as normal and let the haters say what they want I'd keep training as normal and ill fight as normal.

In fact I have had it. The gym I train at isn't the biggest gym in the area of where I live because its in a back lane of a small village where other gyms are In the town centre of the area and I was fighting a guy from a main gym and that gyms guys posted on any facebook announcement about my fight about how much I suck and how I'm getting my butt kicked and honestly it didn't bother me. That's not me trying to sound cool it just genuinely didn't. Martial arts does different things for different people and one of the things it's done for me is to be at peace with myself as corny as that sounds I'm happy with who I am how I live my life how I train and who I train with because of it I don't let negative opinions bother me it's just not worth it.

Fact is I know the fight games tough so why make it harder on myself by letting negative opinions bother me.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

The way we do it is explain everyone in our team has lost fights. Almost everyone any good jas lost fights. If you don't give them any less respect because they have lost. Then you dont deserve any less respect because you did.

And especially the UFC as it is the toughest fight game in the world.

Having said that it probably depends on your team. And if they are any good.

Latest Discussions