Rousey returning

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah her boxing was never anything good the only striking finishes she got were against awful fighters and then we had people saying she was the best boxer in mma and could outbox mayweather...

Those "people" are idiots. (I doubt there will be any argument about this) Idiots from the media, certainly not from the fight world. And what, we're going to listen to anything they say?

As for being a quitter...you've been doing this a long time, bro, so you know. You boxed. Then you didn't. Does that make you a quitter? Hell no. Even if you never did any kind of competition again, you would just be someone who no longer boxed. But you moved on to kick boxing, then no longer did that. Quitter? Again, hell no! Just someone who no longer kick boxed. Then you moved on to MMA. You probably don't do that any more. (because you're old :) )No quit there, you just don't do that any more. How is Rousey any different?

I know she's easy not to like. A lot of us are. But it has nothing to do with the fight game. I do wish she had stayed in Judo, though, wish she taught. Wish she opened a Judo dojo right down the street from me. I'd be the first one to sign up, even as an old man. Heck, you would probably be the second. (would too!)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Life is a funny thing. Anyone who trains to compete at an elite level is not a quitter. It's ridiculous to suggest otherwise. Even if rousey never fights again, she's had a career to be proud of.

Same for carano and cyborg and even the guys and gals who get into the UFC, lose their first three fights and are let go. Just being signed for a single fight puts you in rarefied air in the sport.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Those "people" are idiots. (I doubt there will be any argument about this) Idiots from the media, certainly not from the fight world. And what, we're going to listen to anything they say?

As for being a quitter...you've been doing this a long time, bro, so you know. You boxed. Then you didn't. Does that make you a quitter? Hell no. Even if you never did any kind of competition again, you would just be someone who no longer boxed. But you moved on to kick boxing, then no longer did that. Quitter? Again, hell no! Just someone who no longer kick boxed. Then you moved on to MMA. You probably don't do that any more. (because you're old :) )No quit there, you just don't do that any more. How is Rousey any different?

I know she's easy not to like. A lot of us are. But it has nothing to do with the fight game. I do wish she had stayed in Judo, though, wish she taught. Wish she opened a Judo dojo right down the street from me. I'd be the first one to sign up, even as an old man. Heck, you would probably be the second. (would too!)

Look maybe how I said it came out wrong because I don't like her as a person but she is skilled in areas but if she just retired then I wouldn't say anything but in her judo in her book after she lost in 2008 she stopped and actually said "I wanted to undo all the training I'd done to my body" and she started drinking, smoking and doing drugs. Then after losing to holm she said she considered killing herself.

So she doesn't handle losing well at all she lost a fight hardly a thing to kill yourself over especially when she probably made a good few million from the fight. So maybe I worded it wrong but she isn't as mentally strong as a lot of fighters. Like I said its not that she quit its the way she quit and how she handled it.

And nah I wouldn't tbh great competitors don't always make good teachers and I don't think she'd make a great one I think she'd be one of those if you do everything she says she's nice to you but if you do one thing she doesn't like she'd be horrible to you and potentially hurt you in training and that's not someone I'd like to work with personally.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sadly not joe rogan said it as well
Interesting. But last I heard on JRE(, Joe Rogan podcast all night)(not sure what episode), he was talking about how Rousey got into an overconfidence spike in her striking after her first knockout victory, when her striking still really was not that good compared to everyone else. Of course this backfired against her versus Holly Holm.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting. But last I heard on JRE(, Joe Rogan podcast all night)(not sure what episode), he was talking about how Rousey got into an overconfidence spike in her striking after her first knockout victory, when her striking still really was not that good compared to everyone else. Of course this backfired against her versus Holly Holm.
Yeah he said it before the loss though then suddenly his opinion changed guy was probably high as he was saying it though

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Look maybe how I said it came out wrong because I don't like her as a person but she is skilled in areas but if she just retired then I wouldn't say anything but in her judo in her book after she lost in 2008 she stopped and actually said "I wanted to undo all the training I'd done to my body" and she started drinking, smoking and doing drugs. Then after losing to holm she said she considered killing herself.

So she doesn't handle losing well at all she lost a fight hardly a thing to kill yourself over especially when she probably made a good few million from the fight. So maybe I worded it wrong but she isn't as mentally strong as a lot of fighters. Like I said its not that she quit its the way she quit and how she handled it.

And nah I wouldn't tbh great competitors don't always make good teachers and I don't think she'd make a great one I think she'd be one of those if you do everything she says she's nice to you but if you do one thing she doesn't like she'd be horrible to you and potentially hurt you in training and that's not someone I'd like to work with personally.

Think about this - imagine being that messed up mentally, and still accomplishing all she has in high level, world class competition. Competing is difficult enough at any level, but world class, pro or amateur, is something else.
Imagine dealing with those demons from day one, compounded with a meteoric rise, which, although due to her winning, was fueled and magnified by an ever present media storm. (such sweet, sincere folks, the media)

Then getting croaked. And now she's coming back. (with the same mental demons) I wish her all the best and will root for her. She has one tough road to hoe. Glad it's her and not me.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rousey is Marmite, people love her or hate her or like me couldn't care less. My female MMA heroes are those who were the pioneers not the taggers along but I guess I've just been around a lot longer than many. I remember when the whole of MMA was starting out not just the females, it started long before Gina Carano.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Rousey is Marmite, people love her or hate her or like me couldn't care less. My female MMA heroes are those who were the pioneers not the taggers along but I guess I've just been around a lot longer than many. I remember when the whole of MMA was starting out not just the females, it started long before Gina Carano.
You don't consider her a pioneer? Huh. Sounds like sour grapes to me. And digging on carano, too. who is also a pioneer. Along with many others who moved the sport Forward.

I'd say many of the UFC athletes now are pioneers, as female combat sports are just starting to become mainstream. And good on them.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You don't consider her a pioneer? Huh. Sounds like sour grapes to me. And digging on carano, too. who is also a pioneer. Along with many others who moved the sport Forward.

I'd say many of the UFC athletes now are pioneers, as female combat sports are just starting to become mainstream. And good on them.
Why is it sour grapes just because tez doesn't consider her a pioneer? That's called an opinion she's stated she doesn't care either way about her. Me I don't like her I think she's a bully reminds me to much of girls I went to school with who think the can treat everyone like dirt because they're popular. That's my opinion tez has her opinion you have yours doesn't mean it's "sour grapes"

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is it sour grapes just because tez doesn't consider her a pioneer? That's called an opinion she's stated she doesn't care either way about her. Me I don't like her I think she's a bully reminds me to much of girls I went to school with who think the can treat everyone like dirt because they're popular. That's my opinion tez has her opinion you have yours doesn't mean it's "sour grapes"

I assume one of my 'followers' has commented lol. Every time Rousey is mentioned the Rousey fanboys pipe up telling the rest of us, how we don't understand her, are jealous, and the UK hasn't produced any fighters worthy of her. Yawn.
I imagine if you came to the MMA scene recently ( like the last ten years) she will seem like a pioneer while to the rest of us who've been around twice that long female fighters like Debi Purcell are the pioneers, mostly because they didn't just fight, they actively went out of their way to help other female fighters, in training, finding fights and supporting them. In Japan there were female fights before the UFC started, in Europe we've had all female fight nights well attended with good matches and fights for a number of years. I've no reason to be displeased or disgruntled, I would like people though to realise just how huge Debi Purcell's contribution to MMA is and recognise her work she deserves the recognition.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I assume one of my 'followers' has commented lol. Every time Rousey is mentioned the Rousey fanboys pipe up telling the rest of us, how we don't understand her, are jealous, and the UK hasn't produced any fighters worthy of her. Yawn.
I imagine if you came to the MMA scene recently ( like the last ten years) she will seem like a pioneer while to the rest of us who've been around twice that long female fighters like Debi Purcell are the pioneers, mostly because they didn't just fight, they actively went out of their way to help other female fighters, in training, finding fights and supporting them. In Japan there were female fights before the UFC started, in Europe we've had all female fight nights well attended with good matches and fights for a number of years. I've no reason to be displeased or disgruntled, I would like people though to realise just how huge Debi Purcell's contribution to MMA is and recognise her work she deserves the recognition.

Fact is sure rousey is the reason the ufc started a woman's division but if rousey was say a Brazilian who couldn't speak English and wasnt good looking but still had the same skills it wouldn't have happened. Dana white saw money to be made in the attractive American Olympic medalist that's why there's a woman's division not because rousey did anything amazing to make a division simply because Dana white saw her and saw dollar signs that's purely it

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah he said it before the loss though then suddenly his opinion changed guy was probably high as he was saying it though

Well there is a difference between a pioneer and someone who's better at it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Not liking her is an opinion and you guys are certainly entitled to it. I think she's nuts and am not a fan myself. But she is clearly a pioneer to whom any female professional mmaist owes a ton.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think you're a pioneer too.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You shouldn't assume that those pioneers weren't good, they had to be twice as good as the male fighters just to get noticed Many people think female MMA started with Carano and Rousey rather than with the superb Japanese girls who were fighting in the 90s as well as a lot of very good European and American females. (Mariles Coenen, Becky Levi, Svetlana Goundorenko, Erin Toghill, Megumi Fujii, Irina Rodina to name a very few) The younger fighters have the benefit of the older ones experiences and the fact that there are female fights to start with. As I said Debi Purcell has done so much for women's MMA which paved the way for Rousey and the rest to do what they do today. Fighter Girls women's MMA |news|store|shop | Fighter Girls®

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This is true. Rousey is very good at MMA. She is also a pioneer. Look at it this way. She is, without a doubt, the reason any female MMAists are making any real money at all. While there have been women fighting in MMA for a long time (one of my local heroes is Cindy Hales, the 12th non-Brazilian female to earn a BJJ blackbelt and an old school fighter), you have to credit both Carano and Rousey for bringing it into the same stratosphere as men's MMA.

Giving them credit has nothing to do with taking credit away from the many other women who have acted as change agents within the sport.

The sour grapes comment is a reflection that Tez3 still has a weird chip on her shoulder regarding Rousey that started in this thread: Sports Illustrated World's Most Dominant Athlete

I still don't get it what kind of axe there is to grind here. I can understand not "liking" her or anything. As I said before, I think she's completely nuts. But there's no way any reasonable person would suggest she is other than a pioneer in the sport of female MMA.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact that there is a little 'show Ignored Content' sign at the bottom of this thread tells me I'm probably being slagged off again roflmao. Process of elimination ( ie he's now the only one on my ignore list) means it must be Steve, poor man, he tries so hard to hide how fond of me he is by slagging me off, deliberately misunderstanding and deliberately twisting everything I write, doesn't work though, to do that so obsessively means 'stalker'. You'd think he'd put me on ignore by now wouldn't you or find someone who liked the twisted devotion he shows.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:):D
Tez3
and Steve sitting in the tree
K-i-s-s-i-n-g!
First comes love.
Then comes marriage.
Then comes baby* in the baby carriage,
Sucking his thumb,