Review of different styles of defence

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So I know 2 ways of blocking one is a karate way where for example if someone throws a hook punch you'd do an outside block then if they throw a straight punch you'd use the same arm to do an inward block. The other style is the boxing or kickboxing way of keeping your guard up on either side and taking the hits on the arms as you roll with them. Which one do you guys think is more effective me personally i use a combination of both if someone is throwing 2 or 3 punches or kicks then I'll use the karate method if I'm getting overwhelmed ill use the boxing style more. This isn't a criticism of either style just seeing what the general opinions are as I've said I believe they're both effective

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think being flexible and using whichever is most appropriate for the specific circumstances is the most effective.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So I know 2 ways of blocking one is a karate way where for example if someone throws a hook punch you'd do an outside block then if they throw a straight punch you'd use the same arm to do an inward block. The other style is the boxing or kickboxing way of keeping your guard up on either side and taking the hits on the arms as you roll with them. Which one do you guys think is more effective me personally i use a combination of both if someone is throwing 2 or 3 punches or kicks then I'll use the karate method if I'm getting overwhelmed ill use the boxing style more. This isn't a criticism of either style just seeing what the general opinions are as I've said I believe they're both effective
First of all, the Karate method involves, you following his center with your center, by stepping in and turning to face, as you block; so, it is a little more complicates than you describe. You should be stepping against the strike in the second method as well.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
First of all, the Karate method involves, you following his center with your center, by stepping in and turning to face, as you block; so, it is a little more complicates than you describe. You should be stepping against the strike in the second method as well.
Yes I know but there's no need to write a full on 5 paragraph explanation everyone on this board will have martial arts experience so will know basically what I mean

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So I know 2 ways of blocking ...
Defense is too conservative way of thinking. If you block the 1st punch, you still have to block the 2nd punch, the 3rd punch, and the ...

IMO, all

- punches should be followed by a pull.
- blocks should be followed by a wrap.

Instead of blocking that punching arm, it's better to disable that punching arm.

Last edited:

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Outward and inward 'blocks' are used in combat sports too - but they're more of a parry, the movement is much more slight and can be used in conjunction with a slip and good footwork to angle around an opponent.

As for the question; it depends on the scenario. Self defence where someone throws a big telegraphed haymaker, I might use an upward forearm block to get it out the way and return at the same time (spot the ex northern mantis guy) but, most the time and especially against anyone who's trained - so in sparring or whatever - I'd stick with the combat sports approach and not go chasing after anyone's arms and leaving myself open.

As for kicks, a front kick I sometimes slap down with a kind-of inner forearm motion as I get away from it, but I'm going out of range at that point.

Not saying that the 'karate way' as outlined in the OP doesn't work, but I've never been trained to the level where I could effectively use them against someone with crisp punches...so I won't be relying on that approach.

That's what works for me.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In Baguazhang we don't block we strike.
We do have parry which allows redirecting but nothing as far as something that stops, because Baguazhang is about changing and elusive movement.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A block IS a strike. It's just aimed at the limb.
In my opinion a karate type block stops the movement or force which is what it is designed to do. in Baguazhang we don't stop our opponents movement we redirect it or stick to it. So in Baguazhang there is no distinction of defense or offensive it's Just one move

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my opinion a karate type block stops the movement or force which is what it is designed to do. in Baguazhang we don't stop our opponents movement we redirect it or stick to it. So in Baguazhang there is no distinction of defense or offensive it's Just one move
You would be mistaken. Karate is more dynamic, than one, or the other. :)

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

In some cases, sure, the movement is stopped. By striking the limb. :)
And in others, it absolutely is not stopped. Stopping a strike requires impact in direct (or as close to direct as possible) opposition to the movement of the attacking object. If a person throws a straight punch at you, your block, made against the side of the arm, is certainly not going to stop their movement, nor their force.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The most important part of a "block" is the footwork, torso and head movement. The hands are icing on the cake IMO. The better your movement is, the less you have to rely on the hands/arms actually making contact.

The majority of the time, I'm pushing the strike out of the way with an open hand. Most traditional karate blocks are closed hand using the forearm/wrist, but that never really works for me in sparring.

Moving out of the way and deflecting the strike is far easier said than done though.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In some cases, sure, the movement is stopped. By striking the limb. :)
And in others, it absolutely is not stopped. Stopping a strike requires impact in direct (or as close to direct as possible) opposition to the movement of the attacking object. If a person throws a straight punch at you, your block, made against the side of the arm, is certainly not going to stop their movement, nor their force.
That is the point we Baguazhang people are not trying to stop his force but redirect it. As soon as my arm touches the application is being put on it is not I block then application or strike it is just one movement, Chinese martial arts tend to be take what is available Japanese arts are more ridged and square I say this as I do both classical Japanese and Chinese martial arts. I think if in terms of boxing, we do not block but parry or catch it's just a different approach.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Suggestion - take any of your friends who know how to fight.

Then give everything a whirl. Feedback is a really good thing.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It depends on what you are trying to do. If you are trying to block a punch and only block then either method will work. If you are trying to punish the attacking hand then only the blocks that go out and strike the wrist and forearms of the punch are going to be better.

The way that Jow Ga is (other styles do the same thing) the goal isn't to just block a punch but to damage the arm throwing the punch. There is a nerve in your forearm that will cause you to open your fist when struck. When this nerve is hit you'll know because your punching fist will open up on it's own and your entire arm and hand will go numb. Most people have unconditioned fore arms so the outward block will be extremely painful. How painful? After 1 or 2 good blocks they aren't going to want to throw anymore punches for fear of having their arm damaged. Each strike increases the damage. How effective is it? Beginner students who aren't conditioned can barely stand the pain when the instructors barely block. When instructors are working with students with unconditioned forearms, they don't actually block because even a soft tap is painful to the student.
Karate uses the same kinds of blocks but I'm not sure if many instructors teach their students about this let alone condition them so that they can actually to the block.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Chinese martial arts tend to be take what is available
Very true. For those who may not be familiar with Chinese Martial arts If a person punches me then I will seek to damage the punching hand/arm while avoiding the punch. Usually in the form of me using my arm to strike the punching arm at the point of least resistance which is to the sides. There is another technique where if the person punches then I attack the punch with my elbow in an attempt to break my attacker's hand.
With Tai chi I would flow with the punch to redirect the punch and strike where the arm or body is most weak. As long as the energy of the punch is flowing past me, everything to the side and behind the side of that punch will be weaker. There are a few techniques in Tai Chi where a person would be lucky to get their arm back in one piece if you throw a punch.

Suggestion - take any of your friends who know how to fight.
Then they wouldn't be my friend anymore lol. We had 2 new students that joined us a few days ago. They have soft arms. One guy lifts weights and used to play football so he has a lot of muscle mass. I'll try to get a video of these 2 when we do conditioning of the forearms so you can see how painful it is for them to deal with and use the blocks in our system. We have a block that is similar to the video that oaktree showed.

Latest Discussions