Review of different styles of defence

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The trick is to come beck on the same path, but there should be no difference. It is just how you think, and where you put your elbows, really.

I am sure there is a trick to it. But show me how that works against a retracting hand.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am sure there is a trick to it. But show me how that works against a retracting hand.
Ah, the trick here is to position your self so that your block is already there, in anticipation. There isn't a whole lot of places your hands should be than up, and protecting your head.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah, the trick here is to position your self so that your block is already there, in anticipation. There isn't a whole lot of places your hands should be than up, and protecting your head.

OK.

So is this a real application or just a theory you have?

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You can fight with a broken arm. I have seen one arm clash that separated the muscle and crippled a guy. Otherwise it is a low risk of having your arm deadened.

And in general yes you should be using the method everybody else uses. That does not mean you can't deviate at some point. But as a base tried and true will get you further than innovation.

52 blocks tried it. I don't think it really went anywhere.
Absolutely agree, but it means that it's not really any surprise to see high level fighters sticking to the standard canon of their sports.

The guys using karate-esq blocks and parries effectively will be the ones in the dojo with no interest in competing, who honed their skills for the love rather than for the ring.

Latest Discussions