Remember the 2 TKD TMAs bashers. This is how one of them fights

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Karate has weight classes in certain formats. So does Judo and sumo. Low rank competitions for karate often do not but high ones do

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Karate has weight classes in certain formats. So does Judo and sumo. Low rank competitions for karate often do not but high ones do
High rank open weight karate competition

High rank open weigh Judo

Understand that these sports have weight class matches as well. I'm just showing that there are open weight classes. Where competing in size and weight aren't factored into weight classes. From a revenue generating perspective I can see where weight classes would bring in more money and more champions. Open weight competitions are like the old move Highlander "there can only be one" Because everyone competes in the competition there will only be one champion.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a thing about weight, always have. I think too much is made of it. I know it's for competition's sake, but it doesn't matter in training, learning how to fight or for actual self defense in your life. I don't believe in cutting weight, but I know if I was depending on feeding my family in a fighting sport to make money, and I could do so by cutting weight, I would (which makes me a hypocrite) but I just don't believe in it and will have no part of it.

All of us here, every single one of us, have trained everyday with/against folks of different weights. It's just the way it is in every dojo. I also think all sport fighting venues should have an open weight division. The ones I've been in were always fun. Maybe a little harsh at times, but always fun.

Who ever gives a thought about weight? You see a huge guy you might have to go against and your subconscious thinks, "Big sucker, uh oh, okay, gonna' drop him." But you never think "approximately 272 pounds, maybe six feet, three"....

Screw weight. Weight don't matter in real life.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There are too many videos out that shows otherwise.
Sure. But much more videos confirming size matters (for equal skill).

I could win Miocic. Everything is possible. He could break his ankle alone or something like that! But the probability of that would be ridiculously tiny. The probability favours the big (+reach, weight...) and +skilled.

Latest Discussions